Show Us Where your Mondi Sleeps | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Show Us Where your Mondi Sleeps

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Jul 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Wow that's a great question! I bought this car in 1995 sight unseen with only 1,100 mi on it. I fell totally in love with it and the Valeo System on the day it was delivered. To me It still looks just as good and is as much fun to drive as it was on that day. No other cars I've owned as of yet has done that. It is what I call a raw Ferrari having all the personality of the Enzo era built cars. To me it and the Valeo System (extremely misunderstood, but only I need to understand it) has a place in Ferrari History as well as mine. It is rare and very exciting to drive and is a Ferrari convertible. I've kept her in pristine condition. To me she never gets old like so many other fine cars I've owned did. I've had great memories of times talking with some knowledgable car guys like Reeves Callaway explaining to me and Ken Lingenfelter the details of the Valeo System and how much he liked it (yes one was installed in a Corvette, bet you didn't know that Hank). I could go on and on. To me it's special. Plain and simple I love. this car. I could never see my self selling it. I'll probably own her to the end. She still puts that simle on my face.

2. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    You can imagine what my wife thinks.

3. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    With a garage like that who needs a house?!
    I guess the wife would have a bit of a problem with it though.
    Cheers!
    Greg

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    George, how did you let MondiPalooza slip by you? We would have loved to have you there. Maybe next time...
    Cheers,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtQp0uJS6y8]MondiPalooza @Hershey PA 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #80 hank sound, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    You're right - I wasn't aware of the Callaway Valeo Corvette (must do some research on that one :)). But of course, we know Valeo had the system in the Group B Lancias before Ferrari adopted it. It's a stand alone system - if we have all the parts, R&D $ and playtime, we could run the system on almost any standard shift car. (WHAT FUN) But today, without a donor Valeo car, it would be a bit of a task.

I absolutely love it on my Rachel !! :):):)

BTW George, please join us on the Valeo Registry - with your Vin # etc.

Cheers, Hank

6. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Didn't know there was a Corvette Valeo out there, interesting!
    Yes, it is a great system and has been maintenance free for me (and Hank too I believe).
    Cheers,
    Greg

7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    George,

Your description of why it holds a special place for you amongst all those other special cars is quite overwhelming considering the Mondial has for a long time been an unloved member of the stable.

I always adored these cars and is my first Ferrari. Having had too many other cars I can honestly say that nothing comes close to the personal feeling it evokes. We've all said it a hundred times but it really does make you happy when you get in it and go for a nice drive. They really are remarkable and so understated and I believe their on the way up now.

Cheers.

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I loved mine. It had problems for sure and it was my 1st Ferrari (only had two :D). Holds a special place in my heart and always will.

9. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    #84 GDRIII, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    Sorry, it was not a Callaway Corvette It was installed in a standard production Corvette and tested with Reeves and Valeo's involvement for GM. I don't think any research would turn up anything as nothing was publicized. Believe me it was a great story that I could not retell here.

Thought I joined the registry a while ago. Can't remember. I'll check, if not will do so.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Here's the link:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/226987-valeo-registry.html

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #86 Valenzo, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    George,

You're an interesting character judging by your car lounge, (i dont use 'man cave') I think we all would love to hear a little about how you started it and your inspirations. That collection of memorabilia didnt happen over night.

Im driving from Chicago through Cincinnati on the 13th on my way to our home in NC, I would love to say hello in person if the timing was right, i sincerely enjoy meeting like minded people. I'll be trailering, just not my Mondial this time. Im bringing my wife down her beach mobile and i think there will be a freezer on that trailer too. lol

if not, i hope you you'll show us a few more pics of your Mondial here.

Ted
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ted are you keeping both houses or you're moving your business down South?

13. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Im keeping both houses while moving production to NC over the next 3 months, acquiring a SC competitor in Jan, while keeping distribution in IL. Its exhausting just saying that.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    You'll be a traveling man. Buy a plane :) or helicopter a little Robinson R22 but now maybe a R44 with the kids.

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I can't carry cars or freezers in a plane or copter. Plus my wife pulled my wings when I said, I do.

16. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Ted It would be great to meet another owner having that much passion for these cars. A rare opportunity for me. Would you be coming down I 74?. Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner or the Garage? You can PM with details.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  18. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #93 Brian420, Aug 5, 2013
  19. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    That looks so peaceful. I want to sit right at the edge of that water and chat all afternoon with you Brian. Cool place!

In case some of you at Mondi didn't get the chance... Brian is an interesting guy to listen to. And the same goes for Dirk. Ironically, they both were together most of the event. Good times I'm sure.

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    George...

Ok, I wasn't sure of the path on this trip (theres 4 i take) but now it does look like i74 is my route on this run down. I74 to Lexington. I would love to look at the collection of 1:18 and 1:34 you have and of course, especially your Modical in 1:1. :). But mainly to say hello to a gentleman like yourself that has a keen eye on what matters. Can't stay long but long enough to take a moment and smell the leather. Lol

I leave Chicago at 6am on Thursday 8/15. If not on the way down, perhaps on the way back. I have an engine being built in Kingsport, TN that I'll try to get to see on Friday Am.

Talk soon

Ted

21. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    Sounds great. I'm only 15 min off I 74.

22. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks Ted. You're too kind.

23. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #98 Lino, Aug 10, 2013
  24. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    That is so nice Brian. Love the water and the A frame.

25. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman