Should I wrap a California T? | FerrariChat

Should I wrap a California T?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by TifosiConch, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Hello all, after four 911s I am ready for a Ferrari, and I'm getting a California T. My first color choice- yellow- is rare, only two found online, neither with Magneride, which I would love to have. So, should I wait for the perfect yellow car(may take years), buy the imperfect yellow one and enjoy as is or buy one in another color, equipped my way, and wrap it in Giallo? I have seen one wrapped car- factory black to matte grey- and it looks good in the photos.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I would suggest that you contact your dealer. A yellow Cali T with MagneRide should be out there. I find that it makes a huge difference, and was I so inclined to spec a car where it was not standard, I would never opt out of it.

Some here will tell you that it does not matter much and that they like their car fine without it. But it does not change the fact that out on the open market not having MagneRide is a dealbreaker for the majority. I cannot for the life of me understand why it to this day still remains an option on the Porto.
    At any rate, just consider this. Not only are you looking at a colour many do not like for the T, but you are also looking at a car with a spec many will not want. If you purchase a GM Cali T without MagneRide, be prepared to keep it and take a substantial hit on it, once you do sell it.

It wouldn't touch a GM T without MagneRide with a ten foot pole.

Buy one in one of the more elegant colours better suited for the drop top GT, with an interior you like and wrap it. There's a reason why GM Calis are hard to find.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If it were me, I would wait. If this were a dream car, no compromises. That's my 2 cents. I wanted a less common, subdued and historic color, and I eventually found one in avorio, which my wife fell in love with. I'm glad I waited. We loved the color the day they unloaded it off the truck. And, now, 4 years and 20 K miles later, every drive is still a joy!

The F-chat consensus seems to be that Magneride is a worthwhile enhancement to the Cali, and as ICP said - may make it harder to sell (if that is a concern). FWIW, if you can get a dealer to run the VIN, they may tell you if it really has MR or not. I recall from when I was in the hunt that it seemed to be one of those things that there was inaccuracy as to whether it was a chosen option when looking through cars on apps like Cars.com, autotrader, etc...T

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Why not wrap it? People wrap them clear, seems like the wrap would just protect the original paint anyway. Not sure you can wrap giallo over black but you're welcome to my 2015, and yes, it has Magneride ;) which is definitely worth having.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A yellow wrap is not translucent, so you can wrap it on top of anything. Most important thing is just to find a spec with all the options the op would want, as well as an interior that works with yellow. A Rosso interior would make the car a toy car, and a Blu interior will turn it into an IKEA spec car. So while wrapping most certainly opens up a few possibilities, there still are some pitfalls to avoid:)

6. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    If the car is already black, then a yellow wrap could look good. You will not want the cars original color to contrast so much in the door jambs. Unless you wrap those also.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My interior just happens to be cuoio ;)

There was a user here a few years back who used to do some pretty wild wraps on his 458 Italia, and it looked amazing.