Should I get a new C7 Corvette? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Should I get a new C7 Corvette?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rob4092xx, Jan 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Plenty of dealers will sell at MSRP.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ok. I'll try Vegas. I sent my local dealer an email that I want to have a 14 and they sent me back an email about a 13.

Can't they read?????

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Go to the Corvette forum, there are dealers there offering MSRP and some below.

4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Yup, I read that forum and Camaro5 forum. There are dealers that post regularly, see their sigs, and are always looking to sell at MSRP.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My dealer (biggest in Vegas) just emailed me and said $20 grand over MSRP.

I told him.... when you're serious about selling me a car, I'll buy one at MSRP. Please contact me then.

Let's see how long....

7. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    The markups will not last long. Even the Camaro had a brief period of markup over MSRP. Once the cars actually started hitting dealerships, the market corrected FAST.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    That's nuts. Is anyone really going to pay $20k over list for a vette that will be selling under MSRP in just months? I'd be shocked if anyone out here even tried that game.

Mark

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's my feeling.

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Looks like they are anticipating high demand in the beginning,but I'm sure that will taper off....

General Motors held a teleconference on Tuesday with Chevrolet dealers and their sales personnel to talk about the 2014 Corvette Stingray. Our sources tell us that dealership allocation will not be finalized until the second quarter of 2013, however, those dealers that are getting the Stingray are predetermined based on the volume of Corvette sales in 2012.

GM did confirm that the volume Corvette dealerships will receive priority in receiving the initial allocations. In fact, the first nine months of production will be sent to those priority dealerships and then after that period, every dealership can get at least one Stingray.

GM is telling dealerships that their Stingray allocation is based on sales in 2012 through August, and that they must have sold at least four Corvettes to obtain first priority for the first 9 months. Dealerships will also have to meet the Corvette sales and service training standards to that point as well.

It’s no secret that Corvette owners have been trending older with the average buyer now nearing 60 years old. The new cutting-edge exterior design and all the technology inside are designed to attract a younger buyer which GM indicated to their sales teams was someone in the mid-40′s. Many in this age segment went to imports like the Audi TT and Porsche 911. GM thinks its new Corvette is on that level and wants to get people inside for a test drive to change any preconceptions they had. So yes, GM is actively encouraging sales to allow for test drives of the new Stingray.

GM gave no answers on anticipated production volume for the 2014 model year, but our sources says they stressed that they are looking to surpass the C6′s best year of production. We looked that up and in 2007, a total of 40,561 Corvettes were built. Even during the C6′s rollout in 2005, a total of 37,372 base Corvettes and Convertibles were built. So besting that number would be a lofty goal indeed!

Representatives were asked about the Corvette Stingray Convertible but they would neither confirm nor deny that the new model was going to be revealed in Geneva.

Finally, our sources told us that the GM was stressing how the new 2014 Corvette Stingray will be the most customizable ever. We’ve already seen the Carbon Flash rear spoiler and the black rear view mirrors. But more would also be available through the Genuine Corvette Accessories catalog. GCA parts and accessories can be ordered through your Chevrolet dealer’s service department. Look for body-colored vents for a monochromatic look, sill plates, racing pedals and many other parts.

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well if they are planning on 40,000 units I think the deals will come pretty quick. I'm curious how many 2 seat sports cars have ever sold 40,000 in a year. That seems like pretty strong number to me.

12. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Great response, I doubt you will be waiting very long.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    It is like anything - if you wait, or even better buy used, you can get a great deal most of the time. Ford GT is an exception to that general rule.

If GM really ramps up production to the 40,000 unit level, then deep discounts will be available in 6-9 months would be my guess.

But some folks want to have one right away and for that they will pay extra.

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Keep in mind the new Vettes will going for an average out the door MSRP of over $65-70k. I doubt GM can sell 40,000 speciality sports cars at these prices. I believe the current Vette sold about 14,000 units this past year.

15. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Just another sign that cars should be sold through a gigantic vending machine. Except at the exotic/specialty car level, no car really needs to be sold anymore. I can remember when I bought my first Honda Accord in the 1990's, the salesman HAD to show me how the car worked, like I couldn't read or something. What a joke.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would agree with you, especially on the Vette. A lot of dealers don't even sell them. Those that do, its not a big seller. They push out the door everyday Cruzes, Tahoe's, Impalas and Silverado's. The Vette is just a small unit selling car for a niche market that doesn't make the dealers a lot of money.

I can see why the dealers don't really give a crap. Just mark it up and see if anyone buys it. If not, no big deal. We have 20 more Trucks and SUV's on the lot that need to be moved today.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My dealer called me today and want's to talk face to face. I think this would be good replacement for my Maserati Spider, but I only want a convertible (not Targa).

Let's see what they say. I have no idea how American cars are ordered or if you can even do that.

A new experience :)

18. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #193 solofast, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    You absolutely can order American cars, and you should if you can't find exactly what you want at a dealer near you. Corvettes are unique in that you can also do a factory tour and see your car being built, or build your own engine. That's an even more unique experience.

Often you can find what you want at a dealer, but if you want specific options don't be at all concerned about ordering the car.

Time to delivery will depend on the backlog, and with Corvettes being in demand, there will be a waiting time to get exactly what you might want in terms of options.

If you are thinking about it you need to look on the web and find the list of available options and spec out what you want. With typical Japanese cars there are very few options, you only get a few choices. With American performance cars there are loads of options from suspension to equipment and there is a huge difference between different variations of the car. You can order packages, but you can also order the car with exactly the options you want and don't want, so the car you can buy is exactly to your liking. If you are serious I strongly suggest that you go on the Corvette forum and spend some time looking at what folks are saying about option packages and what to order and what not to order. Corvettes can be spec'd from the flaccid suspension and automatic cars to deadly serious track cars and there is a huge difference between the two. While the cars look the same on the outside, the two cars are nowhere near the same thing to drive. If you're going to buy one do your research and get exactly what you want. You will enjoy the car a heck of a lot more by designing it to be exactly what you want. Understand the suspension options are in terms of stiffness and adjustability, and what each one is and does and you will not be disappointed.

If you want a serious sports car that you can take to the track, you aren't going to be happy with an automatic base car. If you want something to take your wife to the country club, then your aren't going to be happy with the stiff suspension and the manual tranny.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not interested in a track car but I do want the manual (can't stand the slush box). Don't need too many options I assume but I would like to order the color combo I want.

Thanks for the info. Say what you want about the hassle of finally getting to order a Ferrari but you can do just about anything you want. I like that.

20. A good friend of mine has been working on the new c7. He just called me & was all excited about it. He was in a 7 speed manual car, on the GM's track. Unbelievable is the word he used to describe it. Something wild about the gauge cluster, the tach & speedo can change positions, & also can be shown on the windshield. The engine sound is even different (and better!) over the 427 he rode in on their track. The seating position is more like a Stingray. The body is substantially tighter. It's bad. Get in line early!