Should I get a new C7 Corvette? | FerrariChat

Should I get a new C7 Corvette?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rob4092xx, Jan 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just watched the release on the new C7 Corvette and loved what I saw!

I have owned lots of Corvettes over the years (still have a C6) and only recently got a 2002 360. My 360 is mint....6k miles and looks like new! However, potential issues with sticky buttons, dash shrinkage, etc., are going to make me nuts!

I am also relunctant to drive it much after reading all the horror stories on FChat about them breaking. Never felt this way with any of my Corvettes! Just drove the wheels off them and if they broke, just drove in for warranty service and didn't sweat it. The fear of clutch wear, motor mounts breaking, F1 pump failing, etc., etc., worries me.

I really dig new technology...much of what I feel is missing on the 360.

Don't be too rough on me.....but please gimme your thoughts! I wouldn't mind owning one of the first C7's that show up in showrooms but would have to sell the 360 to get it.

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I am on my third 360 and first 430 and I just sold my C6 Z06! The Vettes are the best bang for the buck. The 430 has much more performance over the 360 but lacks the straight line acceleration of the Z06 or ZR1. As mentioned, the Vettes are bullet proof and if anything breaks, it's hundreds of dollars and not thousands. In conclusion, there is a C7 in my future. I will most likely sell the 360 and 430 and just get a 458. No doubt, I am definitely looking forward to the C7.

3. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    I think I'm lining up!! Looks like it will be a monster!

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would go for the new viper vs vette however it is hard to beat the value of a z06 or zr1

5. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Yep, that's the version I'd wait for :)

6. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Spend the extra $20K and get the Z06. That's the best bang for the buck.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have had 4 ferraris and still have one. Looking for another ferrari always. First vette I owned was a 2004 Z06. After using it for a DD I could not believe what a great car it is at any price. Absolutely bullet-proof and worth twice the cost. I can't say that about any ferrari I have owned but that's ferrari. We all know what we put up with like sticky interiors in 2013. The same sticky interiors that came in the 348 in 1989!!!! Anyway, after I crashed by ferrari racecar the Z06 with 7000 miles was gutted and welded a cage in for SCCA T1 racing. I love that car and still race it with a bunch of other vette nuts. The C5-C6-C7 is the big leap like 360-430-458 in similarity. It is going to be fast! I will probably race a C7 when they become available. On track what really makes the vettes giant killers is that so many people race them that there is lots of data and go fast parts. For any Ferrari you are developing the racecar all by yourself and that just costs money and time. It is pretty hard to get the laptimes in a ferrari that you can get in a vette. For daily drivers it will come down to what do you want? Ferrari Leather dashes that shrink in the sun and sticky interiors or bullet-proof plastic cheap vette interior that will pretty much be exactly the same the day you sell it?

8. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    In the end, the gap between exotics and these kinds of cars (corvette, vipers, etc.) will close and possibly par up and then it simply comes to price.... spend 300K on a car or 90K? Spend 50 bucks on a pair of jeans or 300? It comes to personal taste and statement I suppose.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you feel that way about your 360.. then you probably should sell it. IMHO. Life is too short not to enjoy it.

I was out today twice in my 360 cruising on the roads having a great time. I don't worry about it dying.. and it doesn't. :)

Don't take this the wrong way.. I'm not a vette guy. Never was, never will be. Right now it's hot.. but in 6 months every middle aged guy with a paunch and a mopar shirt will have one cruising around town (the same guy that's got the C6). I'm not that guy. Vettes are very, very competitive and great cars. I have the most respect for them though and the engineering that goes into them. I wish they'd differentiated the car more from the Viper and Camaro though..

10. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    The new Vette looks like a Cali, 458, Camero, and gtr all combined into one.

What did they do, just steal designs and glue them together? Totally unoriginal and looks like a copy cat IMO

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Makes you think you've been ripped off and fed a line of crap don't it? 300k for a car that is slower and poorly built. 60k and the thing will go forever.. Odd (talking the c6 z06). C7 is shaping up to be quite the machine in itself..

12. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    The C6 and C7 are great cars and huge value for the money. While the interior design isnt much better than a lavatory on a 747, they are durable bona-fide perfomance cars that can compete with the Porsche Turbo and 430 any day of the week. Love watching them race at Le Mans where they consistently win....

Even though would take a Ferrari over a Vette any day, if you can get both, I would say you should go for it!

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #14 Napolis, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The interior is very nice as well. A stunner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    C7 images look great, suits me fine.
    C7 has plenty of performance
    C7 is a great value
    C7 is priced so low its clearly not a financial question.
    C7 would likely be fun for a while because it is new and exciting (the new girlfriend effect, you just gotta love that new girlfriend smell!!!)

The real question:
    ============
    When the sun was shining and you are looking at your garage with all the doors flipped up, which car will you get in?

For me it would still be the Ferrari. I forget who said this but in paraphrasement "...dont buy something that you do not absolutely need or that does not change your life in some meaningful way.". For me, the C7 does not meet that metric.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #16 TheMayor, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry I can't agree on the interior. No cohesive theme to the shapes and textures. Rounded edges, rectangles, positive and negative bezels, steering wheel with buttons that looks like it's from the Chevy parts bin...

The new Vette is what all Vette's are: Great price for money that you will see every 20 seconds driving 2 miles from your home.

And, that's a great reason to buy one. It's fast, it's aggressive looking, its great value for money, and your local Chevy dealer will take good care of it.

But, I don't think this interior or exterior shape is going to last. It's just too confusing and derivative of other cars. The McLaren boys must be laughing today at the crazy Americans. I don't think it could be more possible to get farther away from the McLaren design and engineering philosophy than the C7 in a modern sports car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 360Grigio

360Grigio Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2010
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If FCar ownership is giving you heartburn then it is time to sell it. I read a quote somewhere on FChat and it said (paraphrased), "If the price outweighs the passion, it is time to sell."

Having read your posts, you seem like you worry too much about what can go wrong with the 360 (e.g.dash shrinkage, F1 pump failure, headlights, motor mounts, bolster wear) instead of what can go right with many of these cars.

Yes, my switches were sticky and they are now fixed. Yes, the transmission mount failed after 11 years of being heat soaked and poor design. It is fixed. Will I have other issues with my car? Most likely, but every time I get in and turn the key the smile appears. Someday the cost of ownership might outweigh the passion. If that happens, it will be time to sell my 360.

If the C7 is the car that will produce the smile for you, by all means, sell the 360 and buy it. As others have already said, life is too short.

Just make sure you posts some pictures when you get. :)

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Exterior isn't bad.

2 things jump out at me on the interior: The steering wheel is really ugly (worse than my 355, which doesn't have the prettiest wheel) and the dash vents look like exactly like the ones in my 2007 Silverado, ie ****. The carbon (fake?) dash overlay looks bad as well, but the rest is good.

That out of the way, no Ferrari is a bargain. I have been in two C6's, one a convertible with z51 package and the other a z06. The z51 is about as fast as my 355 and the z06 was faster in every way - and my buddy paid the same for his z06 as I paid for my 355. However, my now 18 year old Ferrari was better in every single tactile way. Better steering feel, better throttle response, better suspension feel, more connected, better sound (even my friend with the z06 admitted as much). The engines in both of the vettes were powerful but had that, for lack of a better term, rubbery feel to them. I just didn't enjoy driving them as much. I would have to wait and see how the new vette feels to pass final judgement on it, but knowing how the engine feels and responds, I just don't enjoy it as much as a high winding, high strung motor in the Ferrari vein and that's a huge part of the enjoyment factor of any car for me. The z06 was a little better in that regard as it was a little crisper and harder edged, but still nothing like an 8500rpm flat plane v8. I also hear they (z06) have valve issues as the sodium filled exhaust valves can break. Nowhere near as expensive as anything on a Ferrari, but not necessarily bulletproof.

If you value speed more than anything else, you will be hard pressed to do any better than the new vette for the money. However, for me there's a lot more to a car than just outright speed, hence why I didn't even consider a vette.

18. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    It is new, but end of the day you still be driving a Corvette.
    Good cars, value, but nothing special to me...sorry.
    By the way, the interior still sucks.

19. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Hi there. Not an owner of either car, YET. but an F430 or 360 is on my short list in that order. The new vette does look the best of all the vette's i've seen thus far. I also have to agree that the interior looks cheap to me. The reason i would go for the F car is the sheer beauty of them. I like the post above that mentioned when the garage opens and light shines in, which car would you jump in and drive. For me, that car would be the Ferrari any day of the week. You have to get out and enjoy your 360 more. Maybe once you do that and stop worrying about it breaking, you might decide on another Ferrari vs the vette. To me, the vette is an easy way out. I for one have never been known to take the easy way out. Those around me would just be shocked as that would be too simple. Many F car owners it seems, have to travel the nation and test drive and pay for PPI's to finally get their dream car home. I know that i will among them real soon. its just a matter of finding the right car. Dont get me wrong, i still fear things breaking down but as a wise man once told me, "It's just a machine. Man built it. Man can fix it." Now get out there and drive that 360 to it's limits! forget the vette!

20. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    The back end of the car is hideous i.m.o.

21. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    +1 on the steering wheel; absolutely hideous, IMO. I'm not feeling this Corvette at all; looks a bit out of proportion in many ways.

-Gil

22. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Very ugly car, too many angles, looks like a bad copy of GTR. I would get a Z06 Z07 package, very beautifull and more capable car. I suspect is the best non Ferrari sports car.

23. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Looks like a kit car, or the bat mobile.

Come on GM, we want you to win, but you seem intent on throwing it away.

24. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Looks like they are trying to copy Ferrari rather than Nissan. The vents over the rear wheel wells look like they are out of the 360 and the door sculpting is reminicent of the F12.