should I buy a friends 2008 Ducati Desmo? | FerrariChat

should I buy a friends 2008 Ducati Desmo?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sparetireless, Feb 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    it is mint with 4000 miles, he wants $45k

is this a good deal, will this bike value go anywhere?

2. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    It's a wonderful bike!
    I have a lot of bikes & nothing, I mean nothing, packs a thrill like the Desmo.
    It's basically a Moto GP bike with blinkers on it. Really pissed off & evil sounding, but actually a pleasure to ride. The harder you ride it, the better it feels.

Will it appreciate from here? Don't know, they do seem to have bottomed out and held the $45 level, so definately maybe... It will probably hold a lot more value than four new R1's!

Yes, buy it,

3. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Buy it... I paid over $70k... And I would do it again.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Dude DO IT NOW!! $45K??? BUY IT!!

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

my friend just sold one at gp motorcycles. it had 430 miles (new) and sold for $45k. seemed like good deal to me and i actually asked if the deal stalled, could i be next in line?

a data point.

pcb

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Desmosedici RR is an interesting bike within the Ducati enthusiast community, and surprising polarizing when people are asked if they actually would ever buy one. Without question it is unique in the history of Ducati for how closely it resembles the real race bike. People use the cliche "race bike with lights" but in this case that is almost true. They weren't the Ohlins forks any guy could buy and put on their bike, on the RR they were the exact same model used on the MotoGP bike just a few years earlier. They weren't replicas of the forged and machined magnesium wheels used on the race bikes, they were exactly the same. And so on. Perhaps no production machine, from any manufacturer before or since, has been equipped with this level of bling.

But that comes at quite literally, a price. Replacement part prices are not Ferrari-expensive. They are Pagani or Bugatti-expensive. Price for a rear wheel (quoted when the bike was new)? $11,000. And being mag it is a question of if not when. Don't get started thinking about where 16" rear tires will be available a few years from now, Bridgestone apparently only makes them occasionally.

And if you crash it at a track day you are looking at an almost certain total loss. Replacement bodywork is enough to make any well-heeled enthusiast blink in disbelief.

The engine. That glorious engine. It is what sets the D16 apart from any other Ducati. Unfortunately it appears actually living with that engine might be a bit stressful. Being so different and such low production means any weak areas might not be discovered until all the bikes are built and owners are basically Beta testers. Such is the case on the few desmosedicis that have accumulated higher miles. The "helper" springs on the rocker arms are notoriously fragile, break, and the bits end up in inconvenient places. God help you if you have to rebuild the engine out of warranty, assuming you can even get the parts. And unlike others Ducatis, major service items like valve adjustments are much more difficult for a good home mechanic. Most big service procedures on the engine involve first pulling the engine out of the bike (BTW, 15,000 mile service on the Panigale appears to need this as well, not a great plan if you ask me but the bike is sooo sexy).

Having owned and worked on Ducatis for nearly 20 years the D16RR should be the ultimate dream bike for me, and it was when it first came out. Over the past few years though my thoughts have changed, all thing considered, and now I wouldn't want one. Much rather have a well-sorted 1098R and a new Aprilia RSV4 Factory or 1199S for the same money.

Compared to the desmo, the Aprilia is still a V4, also has high-end components, arguably more successful as a race bike, but much easier to live with and use as an actual motorcycle and not garage jewelry.

7. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    #7 Zxgarage, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It is a very special bike, and any potential owner probably should go in with their eyes open. Out of warranty you pays your moneys and yous takes your chances.

BTW the original genesis of what became the RSV4 was to replace the triple Cube. Once Aprilia ran into financial difficulties in the mid 2000's and they pulled out of MotoGP, design focus shifted to a production machine. Two WSBK championships later and looking strong in 2013 in testing. It is the only machine I recall where other manufacturers threatened to protest the bike in WSBK because it wasn't in the spirit of the rules when it first raced. Had Ducati homologated the D16 in 2008, it would have probably met the same resistance.

Desmosedici is sort of the McLaren F1 of sportbbikes, while the RSV4 is an MP4-12C. The Aprilia isn't at the same level of "coolness factor" as the Ducati, but both are pretty darn special.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    #9 JohnMH, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have about 1100 km on mine (#832) and enjoy it only at track days (as a street bike it would be a bit of a waste where I live - frankly there are many far better street bikes).

The engine is extrordinary, especially if you have the Ducati Performance split exhaust on it. The handling is really what makes it unique, with the stock suspension it feels very rigid and the GP geometry and weight distribution makes it very, very agile.

I put the original wheels in storage (the stock Bridgestones are mediocre at the track) and bought a set of 16.5" BST carbon wheels (without any issues). They make the bike even more agile and the 16.5 slicks really improve both turn in and edge grip. Alas, Pirelli 16.5 slicks are now being phased out as WSB goes to 17" tires.

The stock brakes are also excellent (they are MotoGP wet weather rotors). The bike is completely analog; without traction control or other rider aids, inattention can lead to scary situations. Hardware otherwise is standard Ducati, such as the digital instrument and brake master cylinders / calipers. You may want to change the clutch slave cylinder as they can leak. EVR makes a good one.

The downside can be maintenance cost. Now that the warranty is over any major fixes can be costly. As a case in point, the TPS on mine was erratic. Ducati wanted $14k for a new set of throttle bodies, I ended up replacing just the TPS for about $100. I also run a Microtec ECU as I could get a far better map for it than what the DP kit included (it was far too rich). So far that has been my only maintenance issue since buying it new in 2008. I ride it (hard) 2-3 times per year at track days so maybe I am not a typical owner.

Early bikes had more recall issues than later ones.

I am not certain about collectability, they all seem to be around $45k now which is less than new. I think the dealer in NYC even has a new one in a crate if you want to collect one as an investment.

For comparison, I recently bought a slightly used crossplane crank equipped 2011 R1 and love it as a track bike. It feels like a V4 but is slower than the D16RR. The lack of outright speed makes it feel very forgiving and being used, it cost about 10% of what I have in the Ducati. Mind you, it also has about 10% of the menace.

If you want to ride it a lot, or on the street, perhaps consider a Panigale R or even a BMW HP4.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    thanks!

I am probably going to pass, it is art though.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would too. Unless that very bike has won a few MotoGP races, it will continue to depreciate.

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i'm not certain of that. i think they are largely depreciated @ $40-45k. special machines these.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm no Desmo market expert but I agree. it might drop a bit more over the next few years but I think the curve has leveled off.

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed. How many did they make of these? 1500? Granted, there are far less, but the comparable homologated Harley VR1000 is around $50K. That bike has neither the history nor the pedigree that a Desmosedici does.

I love the VR1000, would love to get one but that's a pipe dream. The last one I saw for sale was $50K - I think last year one came up for sale. A Desmosedici at $40-45K is a steal.

Would be for occasional rides - mostly garage art, but man I'd love to have it.

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    IIRC there are only 50 examples of the VR1000 in customer's hands, and they are not technically street-legal in the US. Only in Poland or some other Eastern Euro country.

Nearly everything on the VR is unique to it alone, not unlike the Desmo. I would be surprised if $50k would buy a VR1000 today (they were around that back in '94 for MSRP), but they are so rarely for sale who knows.

The also share a personal coincidence in that they represent an obvious path toward a new exciting mass-production machine that their respective manufacturers chose not to explore. Harley owned Buell at the time and invested millions, but Buell meant nothing to most people. A Harley-Davidson sportbike would have sold. It could have been their 916.

Likewise Ducati could have re-engineered the V4, used cheaper components on the bike and sold it for a little more than the 1098S, maybe $25k. They would have sold a metric ton of these things I think. But they remain committed to the twin and the Panigale is certainly a very cool motorcycle. Truth be told, the 1199S would probably be faster around a track than the DesmosediciRR, but such is progress.

Meanwhile, Harley has new tassles for the handgrips on their latest bagger...

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Correct - 50 examples, only homologated in Poland, although 1994 is quite some time ago, I imagine there's some way to get it street legal Stateside. I've owned many Harleys, I have been fanatical about them since the leveraged buyout under Beals and team through James Ziemer (including being a shareholder and traveling to York on a few occasions). The current CEO - Wandell - is not a Harley guy...more on that in a moment.

Last year, one sold for $60K.

Yep, we vehemently agree. I made a passionate post on a Harley thread a few years back when they sold MV Agusta. A HUGE mistake. Harley has danced with the Castiglioni brothers since the 70's when they sold Aermacchi - which became Cagiva, which then purchased Ducati. When Ducati was sold to TPG, I was telling anyone who would listen that Harley should acquire Ducati. It would have been an absolute perfect fit because the brands could be separate, but mutually benefit from each other. Harley gets a sport bike to cultivate a younger demographic while not cannibalizing the lucrative cruiser segment. Ducati gets an outstanding dealer network to distribute bikes and grow.

The fact that it was a) the Castiglionis, b) there was little product overlap, and c) business and brand synergies with unique legacies (Harley has air-cooled, pushrod V-twins; Ducati desmodromic valve V-Twins) ensured it was a match made in heaven. Harley was rumored to be interested, but it never came to be.

So when they acquired MV Agusta, I was ecstatic. Buell was never going to be mainstream - the bikes, while very cool (I rode one and almost purchased it), were too "quirky" to be mass consumed. Still used the pushrod engine, which isn't exactly exotic or exciting and didn't look quite...right. The MV was the answer for the reasons above.

Of course, they bring in Wandell - who isn't a motorcycle guy - and he shutters Buell and sells MV BACK to the Castiglionis. Big mistake. BIG. Harley is going by way of Cadillac before they introduced the CTS - aging demographic and a constant pounding from the competition. They have recessed into a niche player - without a complete product offering, they don't stand a chance. The V-Rod, while nice, isn't the answer. The answer is Ducati or MV. There aren't any other players with the brand recognition to justify an acquisition. They could have leveraged their stock to acquire Ducati again in 2012, when Audi / Lambo did...just stupid.

I agree, but see: Harley and the V-Rod. The V-4 could have been offered as a separate line while retaining the Desmo twins.

17. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The sad thing about Buell Motor is that they finally had an engine worthy of a sportbike in the 1125R. I rode one and almost bought it right after the announcement of the closing of Buell. I still kind of want one as it is as close to a VR1000 as I will ever get (American twin sportbike even if the engine is Austrian owned by a Canadian company :)).

Also test rode the XB12R when new and absoltely hated it. The hot-rod Sportster engine didn't seem compatible with a sportbike, and the bike handled...oddly. Can't really describe it, but it wasn't confidence-inspiring.

From what I've read in the press, by 2008 Buell seems to have finally started turning a profit. Only to get axed completely by Wandell. It caused me to coin the term Wandellized, where as soon as you hit your stride your idiot boss pulls the rug out from under you.

I agree when H-D bought MV I thought that it could be a marriage made in marketing heaven. Take the most storied name in Italian motorcycling and pair it up with the same in American motorcycling. But it appeared from the start that H-D was determined to screw up that one too. As soon as the sale was announced, I started asking my local H-D dealer (right after dealer show) when/if MV's would be sold in Harley shops. He gave some vague answer about Harley buying MV to have access to their European dealer network.

Huh? A tiny boutique manufactuer doesn't have a dealer network worth buying. If that was accurate, right then I knew that marriage was doomed.

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Cool bikes, but I agree - the Sportster motor isn't a great lump. It's heavy, the 45 degree angle is prone to vibration (which Buell nicely suppressed...but it was still noticeable) and didn't sound great in a sport bike. I'm with you here. I nearly purchased a Buell, but it would have been a secondary bike, not a primary...too quirky.

Yes, that was my understanding. Wandell - IMHO - was a mistake. He wasn't tied to the heritage of the company, and was the not in the lineage of management that originally led the LBO from AMF. I know the company has stabilized lately, but they are doomed to become a niche player without a broader product set.

Hah - I heard that as well! The acquisition happened under Ziemer, who was a financial guy, but I do think they intended as I stated. When Wandell came in, it all went downhill.

Not to go OT, but I've worked alongside many an executive that are clueless about the business my companies are in. So much so that it seems to be the norm rather than the exception. Wandell would fall in this category for me.

19. dbonvillain

dbonvillain Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    I have a Desmosedici that I may sell this season if anyone is in the market. #847 or something like that, about 4500 miles on it currently. Pretty wonderful bike...I just ride my Pani more.

20. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
  21. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Very sweet! One day I'll nab a 888 and a 998, two bikes I am very fond of.

22. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You should buy at that price

23. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Mine went up to Cats Exotics if anyone is in the market

24. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  25. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    The procedure for posting items for sale on FChat is to put in in FerrariAds and make one post in the relevant forum with a link. Thank you.