Should I Buy 99-355 Spyder or 360 Coupe | FerrariChat

Should I Buy 99-355 Spyder or 360 Coupe

Discussion in '348/355' started by budman, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

355 Spyder vs 360 Coupe

1. 355 F1 Spyder

2. 360 Coupe

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. budman

budman Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Buddy Delaney
    Hi Guys 1st time post from new member.Two months ago I made the mistake of attending a Ferrari Club track event and my poor south carolina public school educated brain has not been right since.I owned a 1981 308 GTSi 15 years ago so I have just enough Ferrari knowledge to be dangerous.I like the open cars and have found a 5500 mile 99-355 F1 spyder with Tubi in showroom condition owned by knowledgable owner ( he also has 360, 246 Dino, Porsche X 50 Turbo ). I also love the 360 but would have to buy the coupe as 360 spyder out of my range.I think the 360 is probably the better car and its only 20 thousand more ( 112,000 vs about 130-134,000 for the 360.I am leaning toward the 355 spyder but the price is full retail .Am I crazy to consider 112,000 for a 5500 mile car in TDF Blue ( my favorite color ) with Tubi exhaust and recent service ( still waiting to find out what was done but wasnt 15000 mile service ) . My only concern is it looks like the 355 market is falling much faster than the 360 and the new model is what- 1 year away.From the posts that I have read there seems to be equal service and maintenance issues with both models.I know ,I know these things are not investments they are to be driven and enjoyed. I would drive about 3000 miles per year and attend and drive several track events each year as I live in Columbia S. Carolina and Roebling Road Raceway is only 2 1/2 hours away.Yes I know I should go drive both cars and make my decision but I am going to let you guys make it for me ( well I will reserve the right to over rule the outcome ) .I must admit that part of the lean toward the 355 is the fact that it looks a little older and I can probably convince my wife that it only cost 50 thousand ( well even she may not believe that ) and maybe she wont demand a new kitchen. By the way those 119,000 thousand 1999 360 euro spec models shure are tempting but I know they are impossible to sell and and I dont want to have rocks thrown at me at club events.Thanks for the help

2. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Go big or go home!

I know im going to get it for saying that. hahaa be gentle.

No, really you can look at all the numbers and records and add and divide and figure out on paper what looks best. But YOU yourself know what you really want, if you are going to spend the money spend it on a car that you will enjoy! Remeber these cars are made to be driven not a tax right off. (but can be used for that also)

If somone told me they spent $xxx,xxx on a car and were not happy. I would say that is your fault. Do it right the first time it's cheaper.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Budman,
    Glad to hear of your recent findings. I personally have two older ones. When I bought my Testarossa I was also considering the 355. It was hard but I went for the Testa. I always wanted a 12cyl, that was what Enzo made his name in racing, and I also grew up with the Testa and not the 355.

You have a very tough decision to make...but youare comparing two different cars. The spider is a different car than your 360. You need to decide your driving pattern. If your going to events and tracking,id go with the 360 and a tubi exhaust. If your going aroud town and having fun with your wife and dinner, then the spider is the better choice.

Either way you can't really go wrong....drive both and decide your usage first, then of course do your research on the cars for the records.Good luck and let us know what you buy......id be driving the 360 over the 355.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    355 - Everybody's happy

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Drive both, the 360 is the most modern Ferrari Production car yet (Enzo and soon to be introduced 612 not withstanding). The 355 is a beautiful car and if you must have a convertible that is the way to go. If your worried about depreciation that is another story. I love my 355 I drove it all day today and I don't think I will ever sell it (perhaps if I could buy a 360CS).

The 99 355 had all the bugs worked out, last year of the line. The 99 360 may still not be perfected like the later models.

Either way you will be happy. Good luck to you.

6. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    I bought a 355 spider and couldn't have made a better choice for the driving that I do with it. Love the top down sound of the tubi. If I go to a track event out comes the 930 turbo.

7. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I agree with Big Red. I too was contemplating the 360 vs 355 spyder. I went for the spider. My decision was, as Big Red stated, based on how i was going to use it most and what was going to give me the most pleasure. I decided that top down cruising with my wife and kids (one at a time of course) was what i was going to do most.

I paid full retail+ for a car from a dealer that had 15K service and tires as part of the deal. I overpaid, but I don't care. It won't matter until i go to sell it, and i'm having too much fun to sell it.

Just my 2 cents

Stan

8. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    You don't have to buy a 99 F1 spyder... Plenty of nice earlier sypders out there for less than $100k... With the money you save over a 360, put it into buying your wife a new kitchen...

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    If you are into tracking your car, then I would check with the sanctioning body of the track you will be driving, as some places will not let a 355 spyder on the track.

10. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Go with the 360. I have owned both a 355 and 360 and in my opinion, the 360 is a much better car. 360's will also hold their value much better than the 355's.

11. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    As many have said, it depends upon what you intend to use the car for. I do think the price is a little high for the 355 - especially if it hasn't had an engine out service. At that price you can expect some quick depreciation (whereas the older models have probably already taken more of the hit). IMHO, the 360s will follow the same depreciation curve of the 355, just probably 2-3 years behind.

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Hm, giving how much they have fallen already I can not see how.

The 355 is already depressed but to be 100% correect you will lose a good chunk on both, either way you decide.

I have a 12K Miles 99F355 TDF blue F1 for asking $ 95,000 I would sell the car today for $ 91K.

Maybe the better choice would be the F355 B for track days. I have a yellow B 1995 with 16K Miles, roll cage in the rear, 5-point harness, testpipes (CATs included), Brembo calipers front, performance chips, the 30K is being done right now (finished about mid the following week). Asking $ 75,500

My personal opinion is the 360 will likely lose a little more in value since they are harder and harder to work on by independents. Makes maintenance more costly and will hold the 355s higher.

Martin

13. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    355..I love that car. Art in motion...

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    perfection.i love the way the 355 sounds.

15. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I would say go for the F355 Spider!!
    Just beautiful!