Shorten exhaust cam. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Shorten exhaust cam.

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Jan 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yes, integrate the factory seal. There's allot of oil movement going on in the valve train and it'll fill that cavity up right quick. Not that it would damage the sensor persay, depends on the sensor really. But you'll be introducing lots more leak points and the mess when you have to check the sensor and it's setup... Not worth the hassle.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    No seal means oil in the cover.....which doesn't really matter as long as you are not using an optical sensor. I have my sensor in oil on the v12 and its happy.

3. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    If I recall at one point you were using the ZF sensor. Is that still the case?

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    On my QV setup I used 1 of the 2 OEM crank pickups on the bellhousing. Stock there are 2 pins on the back of the flywheel, but its pretty easy to add 33 more to make a 36-1 pattern. That worked out really well and I did a similar setup for a couple of 308 owners. On the cam I had a ford distributor pickup which was small enough to fit in inside the stock distributor cap mount with a little cover over it. So VR on both crank and cam.

On the V12 I have hall on both the crank and cam. I use cherry brand industrial sensors, they are very accurate compared to most cheaper hall sensors but still easy to adapt to almost anything. I originally planned VR but had trouble with both, mostly because of the way I built trigger wheels nd a switch the hall sorted out my issues without me needing to remake anything. I do put sealant on the threads of the cam sensor since there is oil spraying around as I don't use a seal on the cam.

5. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Yeah Cherry was bough out by ZF. Did you use a 1k ohm resistor?

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Always drop in a resistor, helps reduce the SNR aka signal to noise ratio.

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes 1k and hooked to the 5v sensor supply.

8. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Surely you mean increase the SNR. Decreasing SNR means increasing the noise.

smg2 likes this.
  9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    A, yup... My goof.

10. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    ...and I apologize for calling you "surely".

smg2 likes this.
  11. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Mark,
    I wired the fuel pump to be controlled by the ignition relay of the M800 as per their diagrams. Looking at the wiring of the fuel pump relay and the start relay on the 308, is it safe to say that both are NOT needed any longer? I'm pretty sure but another set of eyes will not hurt. ;)

12. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I need help with the routing of the wiring coming from the cabin to the rear. Is it routed behind the fuel tank and up or runs up to the right of the tank?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Well....if you've wired it to another power source through another relay, you don't need the originals. I'd just pull the relays in question and make sure everything still has power, it so you're good.

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Up the right side of the tank, at least that is where mine is.

15. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Can you you upload an image please since the engine is still out?

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  17. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    I'm fitting a set of 402 cams at the moment. They do not have index marks. I contacted Raf at Catcams, he said set them up at the TDC lifts on the data sheet, 3.65mm inlet & 3.1 exhaust.

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    How unhelpful........I guess you do bank 1-4 with the stock cams in 5-8#1 TDC, and then bring #5 to TDC and install that bank?....or you'll smash stuff.....

19. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    Here are the directions from Catcams: http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Cam_Timing.html

20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    again, not very helpful. It will work fine on a single cam 4 cyl, is a little trickier on a 2 cam 4 cyl. Luckily the 308 has 2 separate timing belts (which I was forgetting in my last post)....on something like a 348 or my 400i engine with a single chain you'd need to have the oem cam in the other bank to install the chain

21. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Finally.. after 10 weeks got the cams back from WebCam, so back on the drawing board to complete the project. Will the Cherry cam sensor and M800 be able to operate with the attached trigger wheel on the cam end?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It should. The gap looks a little on the near side but it should be ok. Do you have any way to measure the sensor output? When I'm doing something new I like to hook the sensor to a scope and spin the trigger and see what I have BEFORE I put it on the engine. If you have a clean signal on the scope the M800 or any other ECU will have no issue reading it.

23. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Unfortunately I don't have a scope... I guess I have to get with Cherry and see what's the min-max gap the sensor can read. I was advised yesterday by Motec that a pull-up resistor is not needed. The M800 has it build in. Where is the ideal position for the trigger in reference to engine° ?

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31