Shock issues | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shock issues

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 3wings, May 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Funny you should say that.......

Ted Garstang is my 'shock man' and is currently making me up a set of height/ride-adjustable Bilstein coil-overs. There's another chap in Cape Town, Ian Glass, who can recondition Koni's but I only found out about him after I had commissioned Ted to do the job...typical!!
    Even so I think that I've made the right decision, Ted has a very solid reputation and I'm sure his brand-new shock system using 21st Century technology will beat re-working something from the 1970's....at least that's what I keep telling myself in order to justify the extra expense !!!

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think you made a good decision, have been in a car thats been the subject of some of Teds handywork and I was extremely impressed....huge differance over the standard set up and yes the purists will shout me down but honestly a completely new set up like this will in my mind totally transform the car.

3. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike

There are some occasions in life where pragmatism should be allowed to triumph over purism,.... and this is one of them.

4. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #29 3wings, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well the Bilstein adjustable shox finally arrived and are now in place. Ted Garstang did a superb job, these shox are incredibly well made and purpose-designed for my car. Have yet to road-test as the car's still on the ramp, exhaust issues and then wiring. Hope to have it back on the road very soon though.
    best!
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    That looks very nice. Good luck with your remaining issues.

Aidan

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Do you have a Bilstein part # for future ref.?

7. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike

These were custom-made for the car and hence no part numbers. However I can tell you that Ted was recommended to me by a 365 GTC owner who had commissioned Bilstein rear-shocks to replace his Koni self-levellers and was over-joyed at the result and the improvement in 'the ride'. Others have posted on this thread of their experiences with Ted's wizardry; he seems to be 'the man' for racing shocks and is very highly regarded by the racing community over here. He's in Johannesburg and not that far from the International airport, I can't imagine that air-freight to the US or elsewhere would be a killer.
    I commissioned him to design and produce a complete system, 2 front + 4 rear and the total cost was about $2250.
    Of course I won't know if I got my money's worth until we fully road-test the car, but from what I've seen and heard so far plus the fact that each shock is adjustable, I have no reason to think that I'll be disappointed.
    Send me a PM if you want his contact details.