Shipping a SUV for cheap? | FerrariChat

Shipping a SUV for cheap?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by sdtradingguy, Dec 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have a friend (who against better judgment) wants to ship his SUV from San Diego to New York. It's a 02 Ford Explorer (I think) that he wants for a daily driver/beater car. He's the original owner so maybe that's his hangup LOL. He knows I like cars and called me for help. I know there are tons of threads on shipping, but most are for high end cars. This thing has scratches, dings etc. He just wants it to safely make the trip. What places do you guys recommend? Also what's the rough cost? Thanks.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    For the cost of shipping it would better to buy a beater to drive out there.

3. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    WJ, That's what I told him. He does not believe how much $ it'll cost. I told him it'd even be better to pay someone to drive it out then ship... A rough quote will shut him up :>) I think I paid $1.5k to ship a muscle car back east back in 2001.

4. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    $700/unit for truck load of 10 from Bowling Green, KY to LA. Im guessing $1500 for a single unit and paying someone to drive wouldn't save much.

02 Explorers wholesale for around $5000 so it would not be worth it.

Here is a company that gives quotes.

http://www.mcnutttransport.com/pricequote/default_ove.aspx

5. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    My sister recently got a cross country quote of around $500. I'll get more info when she gets back later.

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I will drive it wherever he wants for $1,000. Who cares if it gains mileage, its a SUV not a exotic.

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Careful, you could lose money on that deal.

Flight from TX to NYC maybe $250-300

Gas (about 4,000mi), at a generous 20mpg in an SUV that's 200 gallons. At $3.50/gal that's $700

If you do it in 5 days thats 5 nights in a hotel at $60 night = $300

Flight from CA to TX may be $250-300

You would probably be looking at $1400-1600 to do it, not including any $$ for your time.

To the OP, when I moved from Boston to LA some years ago, I paid around $2,500 for enclosed transport of my car which back then was CHEAP. And gas was about 1/3rd of what it is today. I doubt you can get it done for less than $2.5-3k even on an open transport. The cost of open vs closed is sort of a non issue because from the expenses point of view a truck is a truck. The cheapest would be have it loaded on a rail car and he could get it at a local rail station. I bet even that'd be over a grand, although it may be right around a grand.

Laymans guess is $2k if he shops around and gets it done on the super cheap, probably more like $3k-3.5k if he calls a transport company to do it.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I fly FREE! :D Sometimes first class sometimes not. And, I am in Arizona not Texas, forgot to update ze Profile.