SHIFT SHAFT SEAL / coolant leak | FerrariChat

SHIFT SHAFT SEAL / coolant leak

Discussion in '308/328' started by ginoBBi512, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Way back when I though my car was ready for pick up, the mechanic found a coolant leak, and saw that the shift shaft seal was leaking, but not a lot, he informed me that the coolant leak was coming from somewhere behind the front manifold and that it would have to be removed. Yesterday I saw that they replaced a couple of 2.5 inch in diameter and maybe 4 inches long coolant hoses and clamps. The oil pan was removed as part of the shift shaft seal repair, I believe they have all the parts and the car should be done soon.

Thank you

2. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Depending on how your car's engine sits on it's mounts and the exact positioning of the plumbing, it is possible for the shift-shaft to rub against the rubber sleeve that links two aluminum coolant pipes. I had this problem for a while on my car. It never wore through the hose or anything though. After much fiddling, fixed it with an Adel clamp attached to the firewall.

3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Hey there, this seems interesting to me, I did have all my motor mounts replaced, the coolant leak they said was coming from behind the manifold, they did not say anything regarding what you have mentioned, with that being said, I will ask them about what you had happen to your car.

Thank you

4. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    If they replaced a 4" long section of large-diameter hose in the vicinity of the firewall that is EXACTLY what happened. The only way that coolant could be leaking from *behind* the front exhaust header would be if it was leaking from the cylinder head water jacket itself . . . And you would know that because they would be pulling the engine out of the car and sending you an obscenely large repair bill.

As for the shift shaft seal, very common for those to age, crack, tear and leak. And I can see wanting to pulling the engine and transmission sump covers to make that easier. (Technically, those are not oil pans, because they are flat. It would be more of an "oil skillet" -- not a pan ;) )

As for my rubbing issue, the motor is currently out of the car, and when I put it back in I will see if the clearances are still a problem and the Adel clamp is still required.

What shop are you using, by the way? Sounds like maybe they're not doing the best job explaining what they're doing. There are plenty of very good mechanics out there that are absolutely terrible and communicating to clients. As for myself, I may not always know what I'm doing, but I can talk your ear off about it all day!

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Thank you Sir, my car is waiting for me to pick it up at the Ferrari dealership. I will show the service writer your diagnoses and see what I can find out .

Thank you

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I spoke with the mechanic, he actually agreed with what you mentioned, he said he could see how that could happen, with regards to my car, I have plenty of clearance, and no chance of failure.

Thank you

7. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Same are abs worth checking - the aluminium pipe that the coolant hose connects too at the front of the engine sits very close to the exhaust heat shield.

When I bought my first 308 years ago - from a very reputable seller in fact - the pipe was actually touching the manifold. After a few hundred miles it wore through; lost all water and overheated.

just to be aware.

It’s very easy to slightly rotate the aluminium pipe in the rubber hoses to ensure there is clearance of eg 0.5’’; but if your mechanic doesn’t know (and even some who should know it seems) they might not check this.