Sheehan nailed this market cycle! | FerrariChat

Sheehan nailed this market cycle!

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rob lay, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sheehan has been dead on this cycle predicting in 2012 market still had more to go and then sold off end of 2014 predicting the peak.

Here is the May article and the June one which isn't available to public yet is even better, titled 'Ever Moving Markets'.

The Market Correction

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Somewhere in the "Bubble" and "Art Market" threads, FChatters also nailed it, but didn't believe it at the time.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh certainly several users deserve full credit. I didn't nail it, I predicted it would burst before 2014.

4. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Interesting, thank you

5. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Got his June post this morning. Another good read. Are we really sheep?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think that comes along with the Sheehan rhetoric. I'm still pissed when he put down 80's Ferraris. :)

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sheean predict that 308's and testarossa's would never go up in value... right before they doubled?

Didn't he also predict 10 -15 years ago that Dino's wouldn't go up, as they were FIATs?

I really think that there is an under-appreciation for cars from the 80's specifically... this generation always gets glossed over... We go straight from Baby Boomers to Millenials...

What ever happened to Genx? You know, the generation that got saddled with taking care of their kids and their parents. The generation that didnt catch the huge run up in the market, but caught it on the way down. The generation that is facing massive college bills for their kids?

Gen X is developmentally and financially stunted. Like the scraggly teen that doesn't sprout even though his class mates do, Gen X may sprout late.

Gen X really hasnt had the opportunity the kicj back and spend money on lavish issues. They were to busy losing their net worth in the housing crash... the stock crash... etc.

The big question is, once they get some money, does delayed gratification kick in?

If 308's go back to 30k... remind me to buy 1. Or two.

8. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    In his June email, he says he sold all in 2014, and paid 35 % tax. Part of his market timing was due to the impending increase in the top marginal tax rate to 39.6%. (Since he makes his living as a car dealer, his car sales profits are taxed as ordinary income, not capital gains).

The other part may be due to to his market insights.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no we aren't. :) looking at my classmates I might agree a little. I don't know what's going on with them, but I don't think most are where they thought they would be. we all had big dreams, now in our 40's there is a bunch of ho-hum divorcees, kids to pay support, their high college costs, and crappy middle management jobs with always threatening layoffs. I think the ones that did OK are ones that stuck with traditional jobs doctors and bankers. About 1 in 100 hit it big being entrepreneurial, but most I see jumping between jobs short term sales jobs. I don't know if they have an optimistic outlook as they are facing headwinds of companies wanting younger people in those lower sales and management positions. For that small % that got a solid foundation the past 20 years, I think there is good opportunity corporate as rest of the baby boomers move on. I've already seeing a bunch of 40-somethings in nice executive positions. I have one college buddy that has actually been with the same company since college! started off low level GE Med and now he is way up there with sales management. one of the rare cases now someone working with one company their entire life.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Some of us Gen X's did ok ;).

But we didn't have the tailwind that the boomers had... I would love it if the market gave us, what it gave them, for 20 years...

In our prime spending years: Stocks crashed... twice. Real estate crashed... Health care costs and college soared. And we became our parents retirement back-up plans... Not to mention, for many, they are still housing their college kids...

11. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #11 ASK328, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    A broken clock is right twice a day. He has been dead wrong more often then he is right, he was wrong about all the 365's, 512's, 308's etc - modern special edition cars. Also every time I have spoken to him he seems to have no clue about 80's and 90's cars. He also regurly grossly underpriced cars for his clients that sold instantly to dealers that knew the MKT. I personally called on 4-5 cars that I saw on his private email list and they had sold within minutes due to not knowing market.

He posted articles after results and from what I have seen has been wrong MUCH more then nailing it.

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Most of this article is rearview mirror stuff. Hard to say he "nailed it" when all he's doing here is reporting facts. Is there a link to a prior Sheehan article that lays out his predictions?

Let me summarize: "What goes up must come down."

I are genius. :^)

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he sold 3 of his personal vintage cars at perfect time late 2014. he also said 2012 there was still more to go in market when people like me were saying the burst was imminent.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Agree fully.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    End of 2014? There has been a lot of cars that have gained in the 2015 market. I think the cycle is ending right about now.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think if you read his articles you get the point that the rare 7-digit+ vintage, super cars, and special editions have done well. The majority of the vintage market and the classics have peaked 2014 and are off 25% or so.

17. Platini 289

Platini 289 Karting

Sep 21, 2015
  18. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I think Sheehan 'nailed it' in a recent related piece where he explored how the legion of buyers for Enzo era cars are now mostly retired and looking for "Senior Discounts" instead of expensive toys. The line that stuck was "Nobody wants to date their Dad's prom queen." Too true. Example, I'm 46 and I think a Daytona is neat but there's no way I want to own one...not when for half the money, I could buy a 16M...or for the same money (as a Daytona), a 599 GTO.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm 42 and would love an Enzo era car, the 80's cars what I grew up on, and the late model cars for the most part still spark my desire. I have had thoughts trying to have collection one car from each decade.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Market peaked and will never do it again in our lifetimes.

Some historic examples may exist at the Smithsonian

Just too big a change coming in the way we will be living out lives to even care about cars as we know them today.

Attendance figures / interest in automotive is way way down and falling every year

I see them as a work of art in the future proudly displayed next to the chachkees

21. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Mike and his daughter were critical to the sale of my 550 Maranello this year. They got it right, plus are wonderful to work with.

22. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Well, I'm 42 and don't care for the Daytona but there are plenty of other older cars I'd own (250SWB, 275gtb, alfa tz1, sz, various 50s,60s,70s racers, some pre-war racers too) if I could afford them. You are right that we tend to like cars that that came out when we were of impressionable age but there are special cars whose appeal holds through generations. The fact that various pre war cars continue to sell well into the seven (or eight) figures demonstrates that.

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just to add to the demographic discussion, I'm 49 (solidly Gen-X), own an Enzo-era car, and wouldn't mind owning another one if the circumstances were right.

24. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo

So we are saying a testarossa will never be worth $150k again? Thats barely $50k above its price when new, 30 years ago.