Shawn's change of heart Dino | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Shawn's change of heart Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, May 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #226 tx246, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So Monday October 26th, my daughter was happy to point out it was my Half-Birthday. Things I never celebrated in life, but seems to be the trend with kids today.

Around 3 PM, I get a call from the transport driver that he was an hour away and was I available. I had no idea the driver was even in TX. A couple of hours later, the Dino's journey back home was complete. Happy Halfie to me!!!!

A couple of notes from San Diego...

Jon is awesome and a little bit crazy.

When I arrived on a late afternoon in the previous post, Jon and I chatted for a good while and went through the Dino with the idea to meet up again the following morning to drive, as it was rush hour and didn't make sense for the evening.

Jon and I created a small punch list of little things that needed to be tweaked or adjusted. Nothing major, but all little things. I expected Jon to get them done before we worked out shipping. We finished up and Jon had some computer work to finish, but I headed to the motel around the corner.

The next morning, I arrived bright and early, in the rain, and Jon had already knocked out almost the entire list. I was pretty shocked, mainly because it wasn't hard stuff, but more time consuming stuff. He had to have stayed really late to get it all done.

We went for a ride and it was the first time I think I have ever been in a Dino and everything actually worked. It is awesome.

There was a small little blemish in the bumper chrome and when we got back, Jon was determined to get the bumper off to the chrome shop. At this moment, I truly realized how flimsy and simple the Dino is. Off came the wheel, off came the wheel well covering and suddenly all BRAND NEW looking things appeared, and a bunch of empty space. The bumper was off in a matter of moments. When looking at everything in a new condition, you start to understand how simple the Dino construction is.

Thank you Jon for doing an amazing job!!!

the morning after seeing the Dino since done
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Truly looks stunning! Congratulations Shawn and another brilliant Dino Jon!

Freeman

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations, what a fantastic surprise and a great color combo.
    It is always fun to get a new car let alone the one you have poured so much love into like this one

4. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Big congrats! Looks great, hope you enjoy!

5. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Wow! Beautiful car. Have a great time with it.

6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #231 omgjon, Nov 18, 2015
  7. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It's well deserved. Another saved Dino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    well done... :)

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations
    That is a gorgeous trophy and the interior blue matches!

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Another Update:

So Jon humped it to get the car to me for a special show.

In Houston, we have an annual show called the Highland Village Ferrari Festival.

Highland Village is a shopping center and one of the tenants if Franco Vallobra, Who's jewelry store also has a branch in New Orleans, but his family has been creating beautiful jewelry for generations. They also were the appointed jeweler to the Italian Royal Family.

Needless to say, Franco and his family create amazing things, but he is also a huge Ferrari fan.

The show is a no charge event, that takes place in the shopping center parking lot. The event is a fund raiser for Texas Children's Hospital. Texas Children's is a huge cancer center for children's cancer. The event funds research for childhood cancer.

This year, the event raised over $50k, all of which goes directly to the research, no over head or pass through fee's.

This was the largest event to date, with more cars and more people than ever. In the last ten years, we have never seen an event turn out like this. There were over 120 cars, almost all Ferrari's. Everything ranging from vintage to road cars to Schumacher's winning F1 car to two LaFerrari's.

It is really cool to see so many cars and so many people coming out to see and learn about the cars.

The Dino was at the very back of the lot, oddly enough, right next to the Restoration Hardware building (I found that funny and ironic).

It won the award for "Best Vintage Ferrari". There plenty of cars that fell into that category. There was a constant group of people around the car.

It was difficult to try and not be a jerk about kids trying to get inside, but all is well, and it was a very popular photo opportunity.

The level of care put into this car is very apparent.

The award is a specially created horse. It was made in Murano, Italy. It weighs 25 lbs and is almost 18" tall. It is super cool that it has a blue coloring inside, that is almost the exact same color of the Dino.

Franco goes out of the way to make this event special. I am glad to have been a part of it. I am glad to have a car that people enjoyed. I am also glad that Jon took this project on.

What a cool experience.

Picture to follow.....

Shawn

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #236 tx246, Nov 19, 2015
  12. polds

polds Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    I've posted 4 times in 9 years but this man's work is simply mind blowing.

The quality is unsurpassed. I salute you.

The Dino is utterly stunning and to see them like this is a joy. (Although I do like an original car..)

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    john from what I can see you do a great job.. I am tempted to find a restoration candidate just to go through the experience.... mine is a little to nice to a restoration to .....
    best of luck with the car shawn...

14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Would love to see what he can do with a 308! ��

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #240 tx246, Dec 27, 2015
  16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Very nice Shawn! Steve Anderson was part of my team when I was at VW Design in the 90's. He does beautiful work!

Freeman