Shawn's change of heart Dino | FerrariChat

Shawn's change of heart Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, May 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #1 omgjon, May 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A new project showed up today from Houston, Texas. The owner is one of our more prominent members on Fchat! It's been sitting in a barn on a farm in texas, and some kind of Texas critter is missing his home!! You never know what you'll find when you open the lids. This car is a Euro Spyder with USA lights added and appears to be very solid, of course until media blasted it is all unknown. The Dino is going Blue Dino Metallizzato with tan interior, daytona seats and rust carpeting. All the carpet and mousehair will be sourced from HVL, everything will be restored and the car totally stripped for a bare metal restoration. I'm going to let the owner chime in on the title of the thread and give the history of the car. A good story and I'm happy Shawn has trusted me to do this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    And so it begins .... again. I hope you're keeping track of all these cars Jon, and can't wait to hear about the body parts in 'the boot'.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Shawn, Jon,

Congratulations! It looks really original.

Freeman

4. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    I bet it will take an "arm and a leg" to restore this one... as always it will be a pleasure following the progress.

Cheers

Pietro

5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The duct tape on the heater box hose is a nice touch. But it's a bit of a mystery why the washer nozzles would not spray onto the windshield...

Chassis no?

6. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Let's see ..... Texas......barn find ...... arm and leg ........ was a chain saw involved?

And the "dirty rat" who did it was hiding up front the whole time!

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    OK, so I will admit the car is mine....

I am happy to have this Dino under Jon's watchful eye. The title of this thread is based upon the not so friendly relationship Jon and I started with.

Long story short, when I bought my first Dino, 07714, I was fortunate that it had an owners manual and warranty book in the glove box, but not much else.

I set out to find a pouch and other books and bought a set for 07836. Being as I had my warranty book, I figured the owner of 07836 might be interested in their book, partially to offset my book purchase cost. So I took out an add in FML for over two years. I heard nothing.

Seeing as I am in Houston, and being a Dino guy, I get a call from Ferrari of Houston when a random Dino gets dropped off by a tow truck. It is 07836....GO FIGURE!

The car was pretty darn near original and had been sitting in a guys living room here for many years. HIS LIVING ROOM! The car was being brokered through a Porsche place and they wanted an assessment from the Ferrari Dealer.

I thought the asking price was high, and was talking them down when Jon bought the car. We all know about this car as we watched in awe here on F-Chat.

I wasn't bothered by it being sold, but figured I had a possible buyer for the warranty book. Knowing how AWESOME AND ORIGINAL this car was, when Jon told me what he was going to do, I couldn't understand why someone would even consider doing this to such a great Dino. He then offered to trade something non-car related for the booklet. That was even more bad tasting icing on that cake. I wasn't originally posting positive comments about the "project".

As I began to watch his thread about the car, I started off with a "train wreck in the making" mentality....

AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, the ORIGINAL owners manual set for a car I owned hit eBay. You can imagine the excitement when seeing a serial number specific books set for YOUR Dino becoming available I had. Someone, who knew I had that car, bid it up to a RIDICULOUS amount. And I thought I had bid the most ridiculous amount ever paid for a Complete manual set (in fact, I have never seen one sold for higher even to this day).

Now my warranty card and book set was gone. The person who bought it contacted me about the warranty book for 07836. At that point, I knew a trade was possible. But as much as I thought that, it wasn't in the cards....

The trade, which had nothing to do with Jon, was I give Jon his warranty card for FREE and I could buy the set for my car at the cost sold on eBay!!! HUH??? This made no sense to me.

When I enquired, using my sense of logic (not always rational), things went WAY haywire.... and I mean WAY....

At that point, to prove a point (gotta love pride), I called Jon and asked him for his address and mailed him the warranty card at no cost to him, just to prove my point (once again, gotta love pride and proving a point)!

At this time, the progress of the 07836 was much more known and clear. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and the level of detail that one not only went through, but also one took the time to document, AND at no real financial benefit (at the time Jon was building what he wanted and not something for sale) to themselves.

My opinion of Jon slowly started to change and then even more rapidly as I watched a couple more special cars visit his shop. As my first impression was clearly wrong, I continued to think how cool it would be to do what he does to one of my cars, and that really meant one car in particular.

I like many have watched the handful of Dino's that OMGJON has redone. After much consideration, there was one Dino that held a special place in my heart like no other. If there was ever a car I owned that deserved this type of special treatment, there would be no one, other than Jon, I could entrust it to.

With all we have been through over the years, and the negative parts are MANY years behind us, I asked Jon to consider this project. I know he has plenty on his plate, but this was so special to me, I could only hope to have this car brought to HIS level of perfection. Knowing this is a passion for Jon and not some business design, I didn't know if this was ever even realistic.

Jon has graciously agreed to take this car to where it should have been all along, to a level better than new and designed to last for a lot longer than the factory ever intended.

I can't express how excited I am to watch this car come back to life. I am happily eating a little bit of crow about my initial reactions (in fact, crow tastes kinda good with a bit of Modena based olive oil).

This car is extremely special to me. Search 07010 for the history of this Dino.....

8. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great story! Looking forward to seeing the next chapter unfold.

9. BRAD_DIEZ

BRAD_DIEZ Rookie

Jun 24, 2006
    Very cool story! Funny how life works sometimes, huh? :)

10. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I don't know. Looks pretty original to me. Why would anyone want to restore it! It's an original car? What fool would restore an original-condition Dino? That's original grass in the boot, and original rust on the plenum cover. As they say, it will never be in this original condition again. Can't go back...think twice. Don't do it. Take a vote. Do a survey. The purest would leave it as Enzo wanted it to be.

(Small tongue in big cheek)

Jim S.

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Thanks Jim, you started me on this path!!

12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #12 omgjon, May 6, 2014
    We started taking some parts off to see what we have to work with. Typical rust in the sills and behind rear tires. We'll see what else is lurking after it is media blasted. I especially like the white sidewalls. I hope shawn doesn't want me to turn them around so all can see!
    Another critter of some sort was living in the drivers sill. Interior appears to be original, including carpet. The clear coat came off with the power washer. Looking like a fun project.Another Dino being saved from the jaws of hell.

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Resale Red .....AGAIN ?!?!?

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #14 omgjon, May 8, 2014
  15. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    And you are thanking me? Some might have cursed the day they turned their first cam-shaft cap nut. Jon, you've gone way beyond what any mortal might have anticipated. You've set a standard that no one else can achieve. Maybe this is a good thing, as the dollars that your restorations fetch lifts the tide that we all float upon.

Jim

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Quick work Jon.
    This Dino is certainly in the right hands.
    Forza!

17. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #17 omgjon, May 9, 2014
  18. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Really looking forward to how this unfolds.

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A Euro version with AC - this is extremely rare!
    Forza Scuderia Gunderson!

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Jon,

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these threads!!! You continue to inspire, motivate and amaze us!

Freeman

21. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    ...... 'cept they're so slow moving. Is that all you have done so far Jon, geeze?

:)

22. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    At Shawn's suggestion (in his post) I searched for "07010" and located a discussion (that I participated in) from 2007 discussing the Euro front turn signals and the rear U.S. reflectors.

Jon - during your dismantling, it will be quite informative if you would carefully examine the front turn signals and rear reflectors to ascertain whether they were factory or added later.

As mentioned in the 2007 post cited in this entry's title, there remains debate over the year and necessity of conversion to U.S. specs. My first Dino 02180 that I purchased in 1977 was registered as a 1972 although manufactured in fall of 1971. It was a "Euro" although at the time (1971) there was no other model (that is, no U.S. model). It entered through Cheneti in Connecticut and was sold through that enterprise as such. No conversion required.

U.S. DOT standards changed in 1972 requiring imported cars to have the now-familiar U.S. front turn signals and rear quarter-panel reflectors.

How strict this was during the transition is unclear, and Ferrari may have had some front clips on the shelf with "standard" front turn signals that were used to build U.S. bound cars. This might have led to a few that had front Euro and rear U.S.

Jon's careful examination of the front turn signal metal and rear reflector rectangles (for obvious post-factory modification) is of great interest.

Jim S.

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I will carefully check this, for now I know the extra tube was added as evidenced by the welding that was done and the bumper brackets were hacked up to accept two posts. It does have Euro front indicator lights, so I don't think they would have a front clip with Euro indicator and US sidelights. The question is when were they added??? I think Shawn said it was imported in 74, can this be confirmed?

24. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #24 omgjon, May 12, 2014
    I did some checking on Shawns car for some differences with it being a Euro and whether any changes were made before it left the factory. The car clearly has Euro front indicator lights. The rear sidelights were obviously added as the wiring was spliced in and not factory. The front sidelights were also obviously added by the way the holes were cut. Ferrari was sloppy but nowhere near what these cutouts looked like. The seat belts must have been changed upon import as they are from VW-Audi 1973 DOT Approved. The gauges are all Euro including the speedometer. The amp gauge is some aftermarket. I also have never seen the type of labels for the fan and emergency flasher on any Dino. Any idea where these might of come from or are they seen on other Dino's?

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    It has been several years since I spoke to him, but a guy named Bruce Herman (last known living in Big Bear Lake, CA) bought the car in LA in 1974. He had the car until late 78/early 79 when he had to sell it due to getting divorced.

Bruce has a very clear memory of cutting the plastic protection material out of the interior of the car when he bought it. I have no idea what the odometer reading was when he got it. I didn't get the impression he did any modifications to the car.