Share who and where you buy your watches from - Non AD's | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Share who and where you buy your watches from - Non AD's

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by poljav, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    #26 jjmcd, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    If you’re looking for pre-1980 vintage Rolex, especially sport models, check with Jacek in timezone.com. Central Watch in Grand Central in NYC has a good selection of vintage Rolex, omega, Breitling, etc. for fair prices. https://centralwatch.com/.

HQ Milton and Robert Maron each have a great selection of high-end vintage Rolex, Patek, Breitling, etc. https://www.hqmilton.com/about https://robertmaron.com/

2. smtrx

smtrx Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    steven tepper
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If you don't need the factory warranty you can go to jomashop

Also can I be your friend

darth550 likes this.
  4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    LOL

technom3 likes this.
  5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Jomashop keeps the warranty cards from the pieces they sell, that's bad for resale so I don't recommend them.

6. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    What's the logic in keeping warranty cards?

7. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Resale value. They're the "papers" that everyone asks about when inquiring. Does it have box and papers? Nowadays most manufacturers use a card instead of actual paper, although, some still use old fashioned paper.

8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I didn't ask the right question....what's the logic in JOMASHOP keeping the warranty cards?

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would guess to protect their suppliers.

technom3 likes this.
  10. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

There are a few reasons that are possible. They could do it to protect the AD although this doesn't really stand nowadays since most manufacturers keep track of which serial number goes to which AD, or at least I'd assume they do. They could also do it because buying one without a warranty card is cheaper. I've heard of a few non authorized dealers who sell to Jomashop and keep the cards and then sell them on to crooks who alter the serial number either on the card or watch.

Everything I sell new is complete and that always helps when someone is shopping around, especially with the likes of Jomashop. They have deep pockets though and their marketing means they reach many people who don't know about the card situation.

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hi

I'm not sure if you are in the business so you may very very very well know more than me... I know just enough to be irritating is what I always say. Lol

Some of that is negated by jomashop selling it with their own warranty and some of it is negated by getting the watch at such a substantial discount.

Whether or not that's enough is up to the buyer... Or at least someone more experienced than me.

12. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I am in the business, yes. As far as the value of the original warranty card for a warranty, yes some of that is negated by Jomashop's warranty. However, the value I was referring to is not regarding the warranty, but the resale value down the line.

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Understood, and again I bow to your expertise... but the depreciation wouldn't be as bad because you are already buying it at a discount.

Obviously having box and papers is very important, but everything has a price. But... well I deal in cars... and I don't buy bad carfax stuff... so you might be the same of watches as well. So I think I grasp the concept, and I understand that its going to be harder to shift but it is also going to be bought less and sold for less than a watch with box and papers.

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    People are conditioned to ask for Box and papers so Jomashop is fighting an uphill battle.

15. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Darth500 for the win!

darth550 likes this.