SF90 Stradale Spider | Page 6 | FerrariChat

SF90 Stradale Spider

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art_collector

Art_collector Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    The only way I see that you dealer want to change your slot is that they have a other buyer for your sf90 coupe. But orders can’t be change from coupe to spider.

In my opinion both are available for everyone. In the begin they are maybe going to do secret about it but at the end everyone can buy it. Just like they did with the 812 GTS. Only benefit that you can have is a faster delivery day if you are already a customer. But with the coupe and spider combine on the production line I think the delivery time will be pretty long for both cars. I’m happy that my coupe is already in production now.
    And I hope for a early delivery of the sf90 spider by the end of 2021.

bwshihtzu and of2worlds like this.
  2. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    #127 [gTr], Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    I agree with you on the SF90 Couple orders being cancelled. This spider has the best integration of the hardtop for a Ferrari. If the roughly 1000 coupes and 1000 spiders number is correct then Ferrari will have no issue selling this car in both formats. There are many people who have no interest in spider versions irrespective of how nice it looks and will pickup the cancelled coupe orders.

As an aside, the SF90 is the first car designed by Manzoni from the ground up and it works perfectly as a coupe and a spider (the hardtop on the 458 platform never quite looked right when it was on). This was something that was quite apparent in the high deck lid design of the coupe which made the engine look very low when in reality it was only 18-20mm lower than F8.
    I must say, I am really starting to become a big fan of Manzoni and his team. The number of parameters for which his team is solving while creating completely different and individual product lines (V8-Mid, V6-Mid, V8-Front, V12-Front, FUV, Icona and V12-Mid Hypercar) simultaneously is just mind blowing! Also all the one-offs designed under Manzoni are much more cohesive and beautiful.
    Bravo Ferrari Design, Bravo Mazoni!

bwshihtzu, jm2, Caeruleus11 and 6 others like this.
  3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    It’s called “virtual” lightness thanks to the electronic assistance, it’s like driving the car in a simulator
    Take it on track or a very tight road at 9 or 10/10ths and the limits due to weight become very apparent very quickly

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Makuono likes this.
  4. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #132 Tommy Boy, Nov 13, 2020
    So you think there is no selection/limitation process? Despite following:

1. SF-90 Spider is Ferrari's top of the line model
    2. low expected production run - around 1,000 units tops
    3. production backlog at the factory - maybe getting worse with additional closures. If they have to cut production numbers on something, it would not be on Roma or F-8. Probably cut something difficult to produce. SF-90 coupe and spider fit the bill.
    4. Stable buyer pool of top VIP's who want the latest top of the line

You may be right. Am not arguing for the opposing view. Just want to flush out your rationale.

5. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Configurator is up. It has been updated for the Spider, not sure if all the models are getting it.

F142George likes this.
  6. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    If they receive double the number of expected orders for the SF90 I cannot see them leaving that profit on the table for a production car. I think the pricing for the Spider might gives us a clue to how well Coupe sales are going.

If they need to cut back on production then surely they will lean towards making production cars that make them the most money, so the SF90 should be top of that list along with higher spec and certain tailor made cars (where profits are in-house, ie not 3rd party paint shop, etc). Clearly there will always be VIP customers who will be given preference, but they tend to order higher spec cars anyway.

They also need to achieve a lower average CO2 emission per car, the SF90 helps as emissions are nearly 50% lower than the F8 using the WLTP cycle.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's not what the testers said. Unless you have personal experience.

F142George likes this.
  8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    If the total production is 500 or 20 000, it will not change anything; you still don't think the car will become a classic...
    Do not confuse coca cola and Bordeaux wine !!!
    This car will be worth half of its sale price in 5 years at best

JTSE30, F2003-GA, Shack and 1 other person like this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #138 TheMayor, Nov 13, 2020
    I still worry about one thing --- its going to be a garage queen. The way this car is used, they will all be low mileage cars. I'm not sure hybrids like that kind of thing.

LaFerrari's have the same problem. But La Ferrari's are truly low production collector cars worth enough for people to put up with them. $10,000 and months waiting for a new battery pack? No problem on a car worth $1.5 million. But a car worth $600K? Would you put up with that?

I'm not saying it will happen. I say history has shown it has happened.

This car is really complex. Lots to go wrong.

So it maybe a classic but long run, it may be a PITA. And that could hurt it down the road. Or, maybe Ferrari learned and its going to be fine driving it only 1000 miles a year. Who knows?

As a statement its wonderful. As "a car" over time (say, 10-20 years), it might be more of a pain. And that would hurt its desirability no matter how beautiful it is.

Senna1994, JTSE30 and khal360 like this.
  10. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    All the digital dash stuff becomes boring pretty quickly and obsolete even quicker. I have better digital stuff in my A Class Mercedes than the SF90 offers. They really should have kept some analog controls - i.e. manetino etc

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I worry more about the 3 electric motors and the software and sensors needed to keep it all moving. And like I said, I worry about people who only drive it 1000 miles a year and how it might hold up.

As a piece of engineering and design I'm amazed at what they have done. But I worry that its not practical.

Senna1994 likes this.
  13. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Struggling to understand the negative analysis - what exactly about this car is so bad that even a production run of only 500 can not save its ultimate value? The aesthetics? The technology?

14. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
  15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I think ultimately it is powertrain. If this was a hybrid V12, all would be forgiven. Looks wise, it’s exotic and progressive. A hybrid-like V12 has already been well received and cherished to the point of tripling in value, and this car is more powerful, but comes with a TTV8....

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    to remain competitive in a market that is moving towards ever higher powers, you can't achieve (very) high power and, mostly, torque with a NA v12 compared to a turbo engine: in that case everything would be balanced in favor of the electrical part to compensate...not ideal imho

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    A Ferrari is the pleasure of the 5 senses, there is none !!!

18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #148 day355, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    This is where we reach the top of the ridiculous, which already correctly exploits 700 hp ???
    The fun, as Chris Harris puts it, is a lightweight 600 horsepower car that involves the driver.
    in this case, it feels like the important thing is to tell friends that you've bought the most powerful ... even if you don't know what to do with it.
    that's the definition of a megalomaniac car.
    If it's Ferrari today, it's very sad

JTSE30, montpellier and Shack like this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m sure this has been said but if I was set to drop $600k on my SF90 coupe and they announced the Spider almost a year before my car was even delivered I’d be pissed!

Jim Smith, BJK, F2003-GA and 2 others like this.
  20. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Whilst I understand that sentiment what Ferrari aficionado did not think there was a spider coming. Over the last few V8 generations, spiders have been announced and arrived progressively earlier.