Service issues: 308GT4 vs. Mondial | FerrariChat

Service issues: 308GT4 vs. Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nathandarby67, Aug 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I have been a "silent" reader here of quite some time, just trying to soak up some of the great knowledge shared here. Y'all truly have a great forum going here. Anyhow, I am in the process of searching for my first "starter" Ferrari. I have read tons of stuff comparing 308 vs. GT4 vs. Mondial vs. 400/412. Basically if I found the RIGHT car at the right price I think I would be very happy with any of them. However, I think I am leaning more towards either the GT4 or Mondial, and I would like to hear some of your ideas on comparing the service needs of both cars, in terms of both costs and likelyhood of stuff needing fixing. Basically I see the Mondial as needing less tinkering, being fuel injected and a little newer. On the other hand, the GT4 doesn't have all the electronic stuff that the Mondial has to potentially cause problems, and likely be expensive to fix as well. From a mechanical standpoint (belts, valves, engine, transmission, suspension, and brake issues) I don't see a huge difference between the two.

Basically I'd just like to hear what y'all think, and which car would be more trouble and/or money to service. Let me add that I will be doing most if not all of my own work, so labor costs will not be a big factor.

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    For the most part, I agree with your assessment above. Both should be fine. With regard to tinkering, you are probably right, although, truth be told, once the carbs are set, there really isn't much tinkering to do there either. The electonics of the mondial can be considered both a blessing and a curse. As an example, my other car is a 91 Alfa 164, which is fuel injected, electronics galore. It is my daily driver, and very very reliable. However, lately, I've been having this issue with my brake lights not working. Replaced 2 Brake ECU units. Finally, on a hunch after talking to a few of my friends, it turns out the fault was with the bulbs I had used in the 3rd brake light, which were drawing too much current, and causing the error with the Brake ECU. Replaced bulbs, and it fixed the problem. Only the Italians can design such crazy electronic systems.

Aside from the occasional electronics issue, which really are fairly rare in a well taken care of car (Tip- buy some Deoxit, or Stabilant-22 and use liberally on all electronic connections), I don't see the electronics as really being too much of an issue, and can make for a very reliable car.

In the end, I would probably suggest to buy which ever car you can get a hold of that is a well cared for example. Either car will be fun.

One other comment: Rust. May be more of a problem in an older GT4, since I think the Italians finally discovered rust protection in the early 80's. So, if you are leaning towards a GT4, watch out for rust.

Hope this helps.

Dom

3. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    I have a euro spec 308GT4, and I have driven a Mondial. Truthfully, for my taste, I liked driving the GT4 more than the Mondial. But I like the older designs.

Most of the GT4's I looked at did have rust issues, some more than others. I finally found one that was in a bubble and had no rust. Mechanically, the car is pretty basic with minimum electrics (and simple to fix if there is an issue).
    Mechanically..... carbs, bearings belts, seals etc. are straight forward replacements when that becomes necessary.

On the personal side, look for a good local Ferrari mechanic first..... then ask for their input.

Good luck with your search.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Good point on the rust issue. I believe that at some point during the Mondial's life span the factory significantly upgraded the rust protection. Anyone know what year model that was?

EuroDino- Can you relate some driving impressions comparing the two cars? I'd love to hear some first-hand comparisons from people who have driven both models.

Dom- Unfortunately I am already very familiar with Deoxit and Stabilant, being an owner of several British sports cars over the years! Let's just say me and Mr. Lucas have had some LOOOONG talks before.....

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes - the Mondials started with the significant anti-rust program in th M8s, about 5-6 years after Porsche.

Mondials are fairly big and heavy when compared to GT4s, and a bit more refined. Depending on what you want, the Weber carb's GT/4s are a bit more edgy, while the more refined M8 could be used more easily everyday. An M8 has a lot more room inside, for me especially headroom is an issue.

An GT/4 is more DIY friendly, but a M8 is not that bad.

6. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds as if you have a pretty good handle on it. Unless you have a prefence for older/DIY, newer/FI/larger back seat, either model will serve you well. Examples of either come in anywhere from bad to excellant condition. That is were you have to be choosey. We will be expecting a "I just got my first Ferrari!" thread, with pictures.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I guess that point is something else I was getting at in my first post...working on whichever car I end up with will be a DIY affair, both because that is what I enjoy doing, and I would rather spend what extra money I have somewhere besides at the local F-car service department. So I guess another good question is this: Which car is more DIY-friendly?

Thanks for the replies so far guys....all great points!

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I have no experience working on a GT4, but because it is older it would logically be more simple to work on than the next generation. If you enjoy tracking down electrical gremlins, the Mondial is a great choice. Otherwise, there isn't much to mechanically tinker with on one. After driving, I have spent the most time with my car on cosmetic issues.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Its been my feeling (from my semi-calibrated ass), that the GT4 feels a little more sporting and the Mondial coupes are more "touring" in their setup. But they are both fun to drive.

10. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    ferrari started using galvanized steel on their U.S. spec cars in january, 1984.

joe

11. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    and it has been a real pleasure to drive and own. No troubles here at all with electrical or otherwise. The 3.2 is also less expensive to maintain. We have two young boys and the extra seating comes in very handy. I do agree that it is more of a touring car, but it does love the back roads as well. I highly reccomend them.
    - Ron

12. goldenwheels

goldenwheels Rookie

Mar 14, 2005
    planet zog oxon
    Full Name:
    ralph palmer
    I've have owned x2 gt4s and x3 Mondials 8/qv/3.2 and I must say I loved them all.
    I've been camping in all of them,but I must admit the gt4 has more cred than
    Mondials.
    It all boils down to what you want out of the car,because the gt4 will hold its value more than the Mondial,but I think the gt4 would be cheaper to run in the long run as the Mondials have an issue with their electrics/fuze box etc.
    But what ever you chose they are both great cars.