Seriouisly considering a move to Dubai | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Seriouisly considering a move to Dubai

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Modificata, Sep 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    Yes thats what some of the the fellow members dont seem to unserstand. Yes it was more rife in the 80s but even today the local arabs would prefer to have white than asian.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    V&E?

3. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you. :D

Nah... just to avoid "issues" (and because it's bad form) I'm not going to discuss which firm(s) at this point... Why, do you know something about V&E? Guess it's hard to miss them with all the Enron stuff... I hear they are quite reformed now, and a good place to work, in any event...

4. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    They have a small office there. I interviewed with them a few years ago, they asked which office I wanted and said I was really interested in the Dubai office. They looked puzzled at my request and said I'd have to do 3 years in Houston first. Errrrr, no.

I know Clifford Chance does too, but they're a London based firm IIRC.

5. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Yeah... I'm from Texas (Austin) and have worked in Houston before... It's errr... hot. and really, really humid. And yes, Clifford Chance is London-based.

What year law student are you (or are you practicing already)?

J.

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I ended up in Dallas that summer with Bickel and Brewer. I'm in my last semester, finish in January. It looks like I'll be in the Dubai of America: Las Vegas (booming desert city with tons of luxury and grand development projects).

Haven't settled what I'm going to do yet, although i'm in Vegas right now having more meetings for a few things that are on the table which will help me figure it out in the next few weeks.

7. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Ha ha... the phrases "I'm in Vegas" and "on the table" go so well together, don't they. "Meetings"... Uh huh. Yeah. Is that what you kids call blackjack these days? :D

Just kidding. Good luck...

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Hi, I am a Canadian living in Dubai, have been here for 2 years and love it.

I practiced real estate law for the last 2 years so I may know a few things about freehold ownership here.

In summary, in the Emirate of Dubai freehold ownership does exist in developed areas designated by government regulation. In the Emirate of Abu Dhabi (down the coast) only longterm leasehold is available for the time being.

As for a residency visa, not all developers offer them with ownership, the major ones do, check the fine print and ask questions.

As for having supercars, I have a Countach and am considering an F40, and have never experienced anything but enthusiam, some local friends remember when they had Countaches a few years ago and wonder why I dont buy a new car!

A great place.

9. DjiT

DjiT Rookie

Jul 7, 2005
    Dubai - UAE
    So many misinformation about dubai ...

10. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    I see you're into IT architecture and E-solutions. What you could tell me about Cyber-Gear? We would like to rent them a server, are they reliable?

Michel Antoine W.

11. DjiT

DjiT Rookie

Jul 7, 2005
    Dubai - UAE
    Hi Michel,

only a few (serious) companies used to host their servers in dubai and the UAE in general.
    The only one hosting company with a data center is eHosting Datafort in Dubai internet City and is now a semi-government service.
    Prices are outrageous and service level were far away from our western standards.

We have here only one backbone: the EMIX
    So infrastructures are not ready for private data centers operations and competition.

My company is offering web hosting management services and all our clients are spread between DC in Texas and Canada, especially for dedicated severs.

I cannot talk about Cyber-Gear, no serious info about their hosting services.
    I will advise you to send them an email and ask about hosting facilities, SLA and of course price.
    Try to get some of their clients name for hosting and ping their servers (I can do the same for you to give you a better idea of the perf from here, just drop me your contact by PM).

Regards,

12. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    I've sent them a request. I got a quote: $4000 with unlimited bandwith? I mean the offer seems not really serious i don't get exactly how to overview the offer.
    I PMed you with info and contact. Thank you, your help is really appreciated.

13. FXFerrari

FXFerrari Rookie

Jan 12, 2007
    Where sun does shine
    Full Name:
    Mike Zaring
    Always wondered – how’s the pay in IT industry in Dubai?

Help Desk
    Data Center gurus
    LAN Admins
    Etc.

14. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    I just picked up this thread.

It interesting to hear the opinions differ. I was there for 20 years, employed and later with my own business. It a very tough arena to compete in, the locals are nice but they are not reliable not altogether transparent. It costs to get contracts and it costs to finish contracts. It used to be about 10% in and 10% out. (You often do not get the last 10%).

As for tax free that is correct but expats are charged huge in indirect tax's you do not see. It’s in the electric, water etc.

The place is full of guys who arrive with nothing have a good job then leave with nothing a few years later. Having lived very well while there, so often I heard its only 500 dirham’s each for dinner. Well I can tell you as someone who left there with enough that attitude will keep you poor in Dubai as there are so many 500 dirham items to be had.

Incidentally I spent three years at the end of my tenure there collecting bad debt, much from the government, some from locals and some from international corporations. I abandoned 750,000$ debt there as it was just too hard and too expensive.

If you think it’s the land of milk and honey you will not do well there, but if you have a plan and an exit strategy then stick to it and you should be OK.

I notice from the posts that most are from the IT business, showing a major change from the Oil and gas sector that previously ruled there. Incidentally although Dubai had Oil it was left Abu Dhabi to manage in some deal over tourism some years ago. SO now technically it has no even tough Dubai Petroleum Company is still operating, all be it under Abu Dhabi.

15. Davpuxitri

Davpuxitri Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Can anyone tell me how much can a physician earn working in Dubai?

16. Moca

Moca Formula 3

Feb 3, 2007
    Hungary, Szombathely
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The subsistence wage for the professionals is 3000 $.

Anyway, this thread is a big help for me! After i finish university, and get my degree, i want to work in the United Arab Emirates (i want to find some information and informatic broker, or a informatic-librarian job) :) Thanks for all the infos :D

17. WRXracer112

WRXracer112 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Richmond Va
    Full Name:
    Gray
    I have a friend who's parents just moved to Dubai. They turned over their business to him and retired to Dubai. They are American, live in a condo there thats not that big but cost $$$$$ (real estate there is expensive, is this so?) Anyway, he has been there about every 3 months since they moved and says everyone is friendly and helpful and says he doesn't have a problem getting around only speaking English. I am trying to go with him next time he goes...i just want to visit. My question is what does gas cost? Sounds like a stupid question but thats were all the money comes from, is it cheaper since they have better access to it?