Seriouisly considering a move to Dubai | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Seriouisly considering a move to Dubai

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Modificata, Sep 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    your assets and legal set up in the best possible manner depending upon your circumstances and situation.

www.alliancedubai.com

I recommend you talk to professionals. There is always a way to get what you want.

2. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Again. Very useful internet page. :)

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thanks salman

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    How does this work in a none white country such as Dubai?? Are you saying a white person has more standing there than a native person from Dubi? If so why???? I dont understand...

5. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    No. 19% of UAE population is local. There is a huge south asian population. A white person would have more chance than a south asian to get a job, even if the white guy is less skilled.

6. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    Arabs ( locals ) would prefer to give a job to a eastern european or a westerner than some one from the sub-continent. From my expereince thats cos they want the place to have the look that they have more white people working.

7. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Ah, missed it.

8. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Depends if you're a narrow minded non globalized old schooler. I would only look at skills and a persons standing regardless of race as a basis and I know I'm not the only one in the region who thinks this way. Being white isn't enough any more, what you say was more true in the 70s and 80s and to an extent in Dubai only amongst people who are like 50+ old schoolers but not the new generation who are well travelled and open minded enough to look past such petty criterion.

The only place white people (specifically women) have an advantage in Dubai and the region any more are in the night clubs due to their specialized skill set ;-)

S

9. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    You are right. But still i see many guys hiring people this way. Depends of course on the activity sectors. I wouldn't mind to hire indian webmasters for ex because they are really good, way better than some ukrainian newcomer who speaks english in a weird way ;)

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Haha Very well put! But are they any better at the job, thats the question! LOL

11. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    I was in dubai last week,
    and I could see what Bad130Y And Mahool meant,
    There is double standards in the city, This is my observation,
    I would think qatar is a better place to start up a business, and the
    enviroment is better,
    My 2 cents.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What are rents like in Dubai? How much for a 3 bedroom apartment/condo?

13. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    By the way i'm looking for a competent secretary, fluent in english/arabic with good basis in french and german. Multitask job.
    I'm also looking for two competent webmasters, if possible already teaming together. Knowledge of operating SQL and dynamic pages. Traning included.

Any tips?

14. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Check out the following:

http://www.gulftalent.com/home/index.php

and

http://jobs13.bayt.com/job/entry.adp

15. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
  16. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    From the outside, it looks great but it is very disturbing on the inside.

I lived in Kuwait and being a person from Asia, I would never encourage anyone to go to that part of the world without having a good reason.

You could move there and will probably not have any issues but when an issue does arise, your position will be made quite clear very quickly.

There are so many better places in the world that why would you want to bother with Dubai/Kuwait/etc. . .

Just my $0.02!

17. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    Pretty interesting.
    I have a question regarding the racial discrimination or double standards in Dubai. I am Mexican, but I am also white. What happens there? Or what about an African American? I am talking about professionals here, so the skill level is high.

18. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    An economic showdown?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23367901-details/Cameron+faces+%C2%A320billion+tax+cuts+showdown/article.do

I would be bother if I was a Brit that the richest people in the country, who are enjoying the luxuries, are mainly foreigners who don't pay foreign tax on income earned outside the UK.

19. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    non what so ever, no difference between any person, all are equal in Dubai

20. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    What are you kidding me or what??????
    Even though i have more than enough wealth to live my life doing nothing i would not consider going back there cos we were living there since the early 80s and yes no matter how wealthy you are and even if you are foreign once you get in a postion where there is trouble the arabs will put you in your place.

As far as the mexican guy is concerned. he shouldnt have that many problems cos as he said he looks white, but arabs in general dont like asians doing better than them.

21. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    you said it, in the early 80's

people changed since then, and of course, no body is perfect, anywhere you go on this planet, you'll find some good people and some BAD, i'm talking about the general population, there are ALOT of foreigners here, some are poor, some are middle class, and some are REALLY REALLY RICH, local or non local, both live under the same rules

example: in the early 80's if a local guy hits a foreigner for any reason, the local is always right...very TRUE ;)
    NOW, noo waaay, the non-local can get the local into deep sh*T if the local tried even swearing, things has changed ALOT

22. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Any lawyers practicing in Dubai looking in on this thread?

I may have an opportunity to interview at a US law firm in Dubai... I've got a very good friend that lives and practices law there so I've already gotten his take. Wondering if any of you have anything to add...

By the way, I'm Arab-American.

Of course, I am reading the other posts here too...

J.

23. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    I need local lawyers actually. I've contacted AllianceDubai and they gave me some info about lawyers they work with but i wanted to know if any of you know some competent ones in Dubai.

24. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Depends on what you need. I can recommend some foreign (US and UK) law firms with offices there. PM me if you want.

25. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Well .. I am Arab-American.

Twice I have interviewed in Dubai, and once in Kuwait for positions from Director of IT to VP of IT.
    In both cases, the companies were banks.

In each case, I lost to a white candidate (much less qualified).

Native Dubai & Kuwait's take preference, then whites. All others ... viewed less highly.

Just my 2 cents worht from my experience.

Here is California, I have no problem finding work for my consulting firm.
    I have excellent references from 20th Century Fox Studios, Warner Brothers, NBC, a few financial firms and several manufacturing firms.