Sept. 29th Greenville Delaware Exotic Car show | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Sept. 29th Greenville Delaware Exotic Car show

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by turbos7903, Jul 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oakes Detail

Oakes Detail Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2009
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Oakes Detail
    awesome awesome event! Great job guys, had a blast, I was exhausted, but enjoyed it immensely. Great to see Alex's 360 get a trophy!

2. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    Great show and tons of fun! Nice job putting this together Jon!

3. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If I could own any car there? The Carrera GT, no question. But, Jon's Scud gets a runner up!

Again, I really enjoyed this immensely, and was happy to help with getting people situated. We almost ran out of room. And now to hear how much money was raised, it will really be a delight to see those kids' faces in December with the gifts that money will buy.

4. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Great event. Excellent group of cars and people. Amazing what it has grown to be. Kudos to Jon, Nick, Don, Zach and the rest of the crew for a first rate event. Almost need a bigger venue. Thanks to the driver of the Scud that may have led a fun jaunt for our auction winners.

More photos? Alex? Bob? Josh?

5. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    As to a car to pick...hmmmm...CGT or 959? That's a tough one.

6. Pearlcoupeg35

Pearlcoupeg35 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #131 Pearlcoupeg35, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Awesome Event!!!

Thank you Jon, Nick, and Don. Great to see so many familiar faces and amazing cars too. The 959 and CGT were so nice --- and the lineup of Porsches was really impressive too. I must say though - if i had to pick one car to take away - it might be the Dark Blue over Tan MCLAREN - WOW that car was insane.

Here is my only pic from the day...(my nephew and me)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

not enough can be said for the event that Jon and the team have evolved into my favorite car event of the year...not only because of the cars but because of the multi faceted benefit reaped from their efforts.

Good kharma comes to those who always consider meaningful ways to pay it forward. This event is ones that will repay you guys in spades. kudos.

as for the car, has to be the cgt. Anyone wanna clubcar one? Im in...

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #133 JoeZaff, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    I don't get you guys!

Voting for the CGT, McLaren, 959, Scud...

Can any of you imagine a more visceral, exciting, and even terrifying experience than following Bob Craig on the backroads of Lancaster in a Morgan Three Wheeler! No AC, heater, driver aids, anti-lock brakes, power steering, or amenities of any kind. Just you, goggles on tight, strapped tightly into a car weighing 100KG less than an F1 car! In front of you, two tiny vintage wheels and tires and a highly tuned V twin with more displacement per cylinder than a Dodge Viper trying to twist the entire ensemble to pieces as it tosses all its torque through one 205 series rear tire. Absolute madness I tell you!!!! I'm in love!

This is what sports car driving is all about

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjn-53H0WfQ[/ame]

Anyway, this show is just top shelf all the way. What an incredible collection of cars and people dedicated to a great cause.

Looking forward to next year!

9. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    #134 Radnor, Sep 30, 2012
    Joe I have been seeing the light for a few years.

Want visceral and exciting?

No driver aids - no power steering, no traction control, no ABS. No heat or AC. No sound deadening material.

Forget the little glass windscreens - how about no windshield whatsoever? No carpet. No padding on carbon fiber seats. No insulating material to keep the transmission tunnel from burning your leg if you happen to wear shorts and not keep away or to keep the heat of the 9,000+ redlining engine from toasting your feet.

How about a power-to-weight ratio only bested by a Bugatti Veyron (despite only being a 2.0L 4-cylinder)? How about 0-60 in 2.8+ seconds and 100mph in under 7 seconds with your ass inches from the pavement.

Of course, in this if want to follow Bob you will be loafing.

10. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Doug,
    You are my hero! I have nothing but admiration for that car, as I have told you many a time.

However, the R500 is a pure racing car that is somehow street legal (and I don't know how :D ). This Morgan is something else entirely. It has a certain panache. It is so utterly British. It is a rolling monument to a bygone era of British automotive design (albeit pre-dating a good many iconic british cars). The Morgan captures the romance of early european auto racing, where the drivers wore goggles and a leather helmet, the engineer stuck his ass out the passenger side to balance the car through turns, and you were lucky if the track was paved. Driving that car on a crisp fall morning through the hills of lancaster would be an event...an epic event...regardless of the lap time!

11. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    I'm thinking we need to arrange a visit to Denny and Lori's shop - Europa Macchina - thoughts ?

12. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    I hear you Joe. Love vintage machines. I would love to saw at the wheel like Tazio in an Alfa, Fangio in 300SLR or W196, or Jim Clark in a Lotus with half the rivets needed to be structurally sound.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezp93fWNkw&feature=related[/ame]

13. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #138 VGM911, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    There are very good reasons to own an older Porsche (or any other legacy car, like the Morgan), but the buyer may ultimately grow disappointed in the dynamics/performance of a previous generation car. New advances in braking, handling, etc. can make newer cars more satisfying/fun to drive.

The romantic notion of owning a piece of history...a throwback to an earlier age...is alluring. The good old days of cars being simpler and unencumbered by evolutionary developments has a strong nostalgic aspect, to be sure. I enjoyed certain aspects of owning my 30-year old '76 Porsche 912E, for example, but the driving experience was negatively impacted by its substandard performance (only 86hp, and uninspiring brakes), which was sadly disappointing.

Be sure you go into the purchase of such "legacy cars" with you eyes wide open. As novel as the experience may be, I have a feeling that buying a car like the Morgan is like buying a boat...your two favorite days are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it. :)

P.S. Of course, that doesn't mean that the experience wasn't worth it!

14. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    #139 rcraig, Sep 30, 2012
    Here ya go Doug. I really like that little beast of yours and thought this was cool, cause you look like you're going into battle ( You always have a big white helmet on) , and you can almost never see that the fenders move with the wheels.

I don't often put anything up here anymore though, because I like to try and make art with the images I shoot for myself and it takes me some time to figure out how I can best convey how the subjects made me feel at the time I shot them. Because there have already been 50 pictures up of every car there by the time I get them done nobody gives a crap anymore. I look at the views after I post and most times only a handful of people even bother to look. That's fine with me, because I can just deal with the images how I want and nobody criticizes the way I process them. (I actually get a lot of that)
    But here's one of yours.

Bob

Although I don't know about that last loafing statement. You haven'tdriven back roads with us in a long, long time. You may undersetimate some things my friend.

15. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
  16. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As always Alex, you talent comes through. Very thorough coverage, and I especially like the pic my my friend Jim's 380SL paired with the 560 next to it.

Great shots!

17. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
  18. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    I look...and steal most of them. ;)

19. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott

Nice pic! Aren't they all always fantastic though... more, more, more!

And I notice that the gauntlet has been thrown... : P

20. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Thank you!

21. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Bob,

Your pictures are never just pictures of cars. They are definitely pieces of art...interpretations of cars, people and landscapes. With other photos, one can be indifferent to. With yours, the images are always striking and almost force one to reflect on the portrayal of the subject matter.

And no sbpwjm, there will be no street race. If there is to be a "race" it would be on track. And my comment was not meant to be a dig at Mr. Craig's skill as a piloti, simply my conviction that at less than triple digit speeds, there is almost nothing on the road that can match the pace of the R500. Silly speeds seem pedestrian.

22. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Now, that's not to say that I was disappointed with the pace of the leader yesterday. I was happy to follow his lead.

Alex, nice shots and great comments as always. Yes, whereas Bob's photos strike me as interpretive art, you catch great (usually humorous) moments and share them with our community. I can tell you we all look forward to your collection every week.

I was a little surprised not to have seen a photo of one of the best chassis of the day - the one hanging around the tuned Audis.

Also, did you notice the exhaust on the R500 when we returned - it's glowing orange. :)

23. Oakes Detail

Oakes Detail Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2009
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Oakes Detail
    As am I...

24. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    sbpwjm understands and doesn't want, nor does sbpwjm condone street racing...

just playing along...

as they used to say in Abingdon... "Safety fast"!

25. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #150 sbpwjm, Oct 1, 2012
    Funny you should mention this.. I kept trying to get a nice shot of the yellow 914 and these people just wouldn't get out of the way! ; )