Sending 550 to PPI: Advice? | FerrariChat

Sending 550 to PPI: Advice?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550nitis, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Traveling to a foreign city, Calgary, to see a beautiful black on black 1999 550. Now this car has a "spotty" maintenance history which quite worries me. It has high miles at 49k and the price is just at $100. The good news is that its a US speck, so driving across the border should be fine.

Getting a ppi at an indy shop in town and a compression test. Any other suggestions or advise towards buying a 550 with higher miles? I've read some great post on how these cars are bullet proof like a Lexus (common really, a Lexus? those things never break!) and then have read some real horror stories...I mean just the spark plug wires are $5k, thats crazy!

Very excited but very very nervous as I am not sure what I am getting myself into. Any wise words / advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nothing to get nervous about....if you own a 90s Italian V-12 for any length of time, you WILL have a 5 figure repair bill. My first one came in 2017, a little less than 3 years into ownership. The good news is that the new 2012 Gallardo I almost bought instead has depreciated over $100k in 5.5 years.

On your other issue, I tried to by a US car based in Canada 5 years ago and it was not going to be as easy as driving across the border....

Themaven likes this.
  4. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
  5. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m cool with annuals and majors but five figure repair bills, that’s crazy stuff.

I spoke to customs, as long as the car has epa sticker and safety sticker along with bill of sale they said I’m good.

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    50000 miles is not high mileage for a 20 year old car nor for that engine - 'spotty' maintenance is your call but without further information the most recent services are the most important

550nitis likes this.
  7. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Buy it!

550nitis likes this.
  8. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    These cars are getting older. Even if the car is current on scheduled maintenance there is still plenty that needs fixing. I just replaced all my bushings motor and tranny mounts.

Find the thread on Braden major service.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If you want to do some honest IMO budgeting, I would plan on $3k per year plus $7,000 for a major service every 5 years. So $22k every 5 years.

My personal maintenance expenditures for 4 .5 years of Diablo service is $29,885. Some of that was cosmetic (not uncommon for a 19 year old car), spent some good money replacing all the rubber suspension stuff like Scowman did, and a $13k service was an engine out for a full reseal of all rubber-type parts that had started to leak or degraded over time.

But even though this seems like a lot of money, it's just a fraction of new exotic depreciation, AND doing comprehensive maintenance adds back value when you go to sell it.

550nitis likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The problem with 550s are all the bitza pieces, hoses, mounts, a/c, gas tank seals, and on and on. These items typically don’t get caught in a PPI. If I ever buy another one, which is unlikely, the first thing I’d do is ship it directly to a reputable shop with a $10k budget. Motors and transmissions are robust. Everything else is junk Pep Boys would be embarrassed to throw in their dumpster.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

550nitis likes this.
  11. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Wow, thats serious!

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If I were buying a 550 I would prefer one either needing the major service or having just had it from a reputable shop. The cars which had service a couple years ago are the ones most likely to be in need of something that will bug you. Everything is so tightly packaged that say you have an intake manifold leak 1/2 the motor top comes out =$$. Or the valley hose goes same stuff needs removal=$$. You loose a water pump hours of work getting all the stuff in front of the water pump out =$$. Even changing the oil requires car on lift with clearance for the front undertray and you got oil draining from 4 points. A contortionist can change oil on jackstands but I'm not 22 y/o anymore.

That said service with attention to detail pays dividends in years of flawless painfree running.

550nitis and Texas Forever like this.
  13. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #13 NE550, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    As FBB illustrates, repairs can be very involved in parts, time and labor. It just goes with the territory. Bottom line: these cars require a commitment of $$ and effort to own and properly maintain to a high standard. But done right and consistently you'll stand to get it back out if/when you eventually sell the car.

A PPI by a reputable shop that knows Ferraris is a necessity, but will only show what's wrong with a car currently, and only to the extent they look into things beyond cosmetics and major mechanicals. If buying from afar and you can't drive the car yourself you'll want them to drive the car as part of the PPI to help uncover any issues that a static PPI won't reveal.

550nitis and Texas Forever like this.
  14. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I’ve always been a person that enjoys maintains cars and is hands-on in keeping them going. Just seems from reading these post that these are a little more involved. I see a lot of post of the yearly being $1600 but that’s no different than the B service on my wife’s GL550.

I’m planning on Flying out to see the car on the rack and give it a proper test drive. A friend told me a few things to look out for: 1. Drive straight and slam on the brakes, if the car goes in either direction, then there’s an issue with the calipers. (How is this possible that the caliper seizes to operate?) 2. Drive in a tight circle at speed, if you feel vibration then there is an issue with the traction control. 3. Feel if the gears for synchro issues from grinding noises. If you owned a car and drove it often, wouldn’t you be aware of these issues?

As far as keeping and selling, I don’t know. I tend to keep cars for along time as I get an emotional attachment. But Ferrari’s seem different where they tend to exchange hands quite often. For example this 550 I’m looking at has been for sale for a year. At my local F dealer they have three of them (all priced at $175k) for a year. I see on BAT they sold a few but other than that are these things moving?

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think I'd rather trust a professional PPI than those 3 suggestions

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Im not a beliver in the ppi. I have never bought a ferrari wi th one. I think buyers should learn about the model and not rely on others. These cars are not more involved imo. They have lots of parts as V12s. The plenum for example is huge and takes 2 guys or tools to get it off the motor. DIY on this car requires you pay attention thats all. There's 1 pound of various sized nuts and bolts just in the 6 part front engine covers.

Jaguar36, 550nitis and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No disrespect intended, but that is BAD advice for 98.3% of exotic buyers. I'm supposed to fly accross the country, take a bunch of tools and do my own compression and leakdown test? Or find a rack to put it on so I can look over the under carraige? And do all this while under the golden mist of car buying excitement?

550nitis and cgt000 like this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, you can get a yearly fluid change and inspection for $1,600. But do not FOR A MINUTE think that is all that will need attention on a 20 year old car.

Special cars for special owners....

550nitis likes this.
  19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If you knew the models you would know only 1 model needs a leakdown and compression test, and the results of that test on that model are quite spurious. The concept of the LD and Compression test did not exist before the 355 and its many ills. Many shops will not do a PPI because of how worthless they are and how little perspective owner understand them. A PPI is more blue sky rainbows and sunshine than anything else. A PPI is false confidence so you feel good about buying a USED car the PO does not want anymore. You are hot to buy it but the guy selling it just wants his pain to end at minimal headache to him.

I also have very little respect for "complete records." That's right more blasphemy from me! 99% of owner have no clue what the records tell them. Sure the records tell a story but sometimes not what you think. Records say something was done but that is about it. What matters is the condition now. The 550 I own now cost the 2 PO's lots of money. It was in the records. The last PO unloaded the car on me because he could not take it anymore and now drives a reliable Porsche. The records show that on at least 1 major issue 2 different "respected" pros fixed the symptoms of the same problem but never the cause. That cause was the final straw to the PO. I fixed it, not the symptoms, and other small things along with an aggressive major service, the definition of which, does not exist in the Ferrari WSM. My 550 has been flawless in the many years of my ownership. The 550 and the 328 are the 2 most reliable Ferraris ever but they can cost you a fortune too just like any of the other models.

Perspective non-Ferrari owners are their own worst enemy. We see it on the pages of Fchat all the time. They have no idea what they are getting into and the honeymoon is over quickly. All too often their 2nd post after their 1st post "dream realized" goes something like "XYZ, has anyone heard about this problem?" Perspective owners need to learn about their target models. Expectations need to be realistic and purchase price reflect that expectation so that value is there.

Jaguar36, drake123, AVIMAX and 2 others like this.
  20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't 456's have a valve guide problem too?

I've bought 3 Ferrari's (two sight unseen) and 2 Maserati's - no professional PPI's

Depending on the car, price, miles, history, a professional PPI is invaluable.

I did a PPI on a 355 for a friend. Supposed 5K mile car. The car was likely way more than 5K miles and doing that PPI saved my buddy from buying a less than advertised car.

Each situation is unique as well as the buyer.

Jaguar36, Texas Forever and 550nitis like this.
  21. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I see your point completely. I just did two ppi on two perspective 360’s. The first was a complete joke, $500 and virtually no information. The second Bob Bobilef in SD was very informative and showed the car I was looking it had $24k in repairs needed. Car was stunning though. I agree people really need a deep understanding of the cars. If your going in you have to be commited. I’ve always like the service records since it shows a pattern of car and owner, after all even though you think your buying a car, your really buying the owners commitment to keep this car in the condition it deserves.

22. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    FBB is very right, no reason for a ppi. The ppi was a $300 waste of money and so happy I opted out of the compression test. The first thing you need to do is see if you connect with the car, connect with the way the car feels, been maintained and if it fits your standards. In this case the car was maintained to the standards of the current owner. We all have our standards how we like to keep our vehicles and there is no right or wrong. All the ppi stated were things a major would have taken care of. @FBB, kudos to you.

23. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Its often been said "buy the best car you can afford" and something along the lines that "the most expensive Ferrari is the one that is the cheapest". I had a 308 QV for almost 30 years and while I got to know it well I used the local Minneapolis independents to do the real service; however I did learn about Ferraris. I sold the car and moved to a 550. As advised here I spent months just getting to understand 550s and mostly from this site. I ended up buying a Fchat member's car. It had extensive maintenance and was fully documented here, pictures and all ('sorting thread' by Moorefan) with assistance from some of the people how have posted here.
    I had no reason to waste money on a PPI.
    Bottom line I absolutely knew what had been done to my car - the more you actually know the better chance you have of getting a good car.

Good luck

24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Good post. And to your point, if purchasing from a private seller it’s invaluable to get to know the owner. Those of us who have been in this thing for awhile can usually tell if the history and story on the car is dependable. As you say supportive documentation should be readily available for an honest car. And don’t let mileage on a car scare you away. I recently looked at a Ferrari that the dealer claimed to have 15K miles. It was in such horrendous condition I wouldn’t take it for free let alone pay what the dealer was asking for it. Be very cautious when dealing with these so-called authorized Ferrari dealerships. The best cars out there deserve a slightly higher premium and they’re worth it. Don’t try to nickel and dime to save a few bucks. The old adage “you get what you pay for” really holds true when purchasing a pre-owned Ferrari.

Dave rocks likes this.
  25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don’t believe a word what FBB says about PPIs. He is bored savant who field strips a F550 transmission using only a vice grip and a hammer. He also manufactures his own engine oil.

The rest of us need a PPI. But you should have a clear understanding of the scope of services. A checklist is handy, but an email describing what will and will not be done will work.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat