Seeking footage of headlamps popping up on a 365 California for compilation | FerrariChat

Seeking footage of headlamps popping up on a 365 California for compilation

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by AxerJk, May 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    A few years ago, I did a feature on cars with hidden/pop up headlights. I am currently working on Volume 2 of this video, and one of the cars I am looking to include is the Ferrari 365 California (I have the other Ferraris, with the exception of the 288 Evoluzione).

I am hoping to find someone who can take 5 or 6 video clips of the headlights popping up on their car and send them over so that I can include them in the video. Anyone who contributes to this project by sending footage of their cars will get credit in the acknowledgements, as well as any links they would like to promote. (I don't want to take copyrighted footage from YouTube or Google.)

If you are wondering what this project is about, you can check out Part 1 of the video here:

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    The problem with pop up headlights, IMO, is that when in use they tend to spoil the look of the car, in many cases making them look ridiculous - like automotive frogs! The ones that hide behind covers (Camaro etc.) are fine, but I don't like the pop-up ones, although I do appreciate the theatre of seeing them springing (if in some cases rather lethargically!) into action.

Having said that, I enjoyed your video very much - a fine piece of work. Sadly, however, I don't own a 365 California :(

TTR and AxerJk like this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I drove a 365 California all day to and from the Cavallino Classic many years ago -the pale red one with off white interior sold new in NYC- but have no such video.
    Another pop up headlight anecdote: an American client who was driving on the autoroute in France with his wife in a BB512 in the 1980's at around 250kph approached a tunnel and flipped on his headlights. Due to the windspeed once the lip emerged from the body they slammed up into position and his dozing wife woke up shocked asking "What did we hit?"

AxerJk and turbo-joe like this.
  4. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Wow, those tiny little headlights had that big of an effect??

Chris

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    She wondered if they hit a rabbit not an elephant:)

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Besides the above, another pet peeve of mine is when the lights don't "pop up" in sync.