Secondary Air Injection Check Valve 3.2 | FerrariChat

Secondary Air Injection Check Valve 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I doing some routine inspection and I decided to reorient the hose clamp on the easily accesssible air injection check valve. I ended up removing the hose to inspect the valve, even thought I had replaced both the original check valves at about 40,000km. But lo and behold only 20,oookm later they had indeed started to rot and fail. Not completely but enough that some exhaust was passing through. The corrosion on the item is also obvious, but only when you remove the hose to inspect. Just confirms these items should be viewed as routine replacement items, I mention this as others with the 3.2 probably have valves that are failing too, it is easy to overlook as they rot from the inside out, they always look fine on the outside.

The Standard brand pn AV7 is the readily available replacement, on they went, the one towards the front of the car requiring a bit of work to access and replace. Used ceramic anit sieze to ensure that future replacement is in fact "routine".

I also had an old spare of the disc like check valve that I replaced as why not, who am I saving it for, and inspected all the hoses, so now the air injection system is all in top shape as it should be.

The car did not run better one way or the other, so I suppose the plastic disc like check valve that the hoses from the air valves attach to must prevent back washing exhaust right into the air intake (I presume that is what the plastic disc like valve is for?). Just want to understand how the system was designed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    The plastic valve (usually called a cut-off valve in the F documentation) is controlled to turn the air injection system on and off:

During cold-running, intake vacuum is applied to the small nipple on the cut-off valve = opens the cut-off valve = allows intake air to be drawn into the exhaust system flow when flowing exhaust pulses cause a low pressure to be momentarily present. The metal check valve prevents exhaust gases from entering the intake system when a high pressure is momentarily present in the exhaust pulses.

During warm-running, no vacuum is applied to the cut-off valve = cut off valve closed = no intake air enters the exhaust stream.

If the metal check valve fails, the plastic cut-off valve can, for a while, prevent exhaust gases from flowing backwards into the intake system during warm-running, but, during cold-running (when the cut-off valve is open) having hot exhaust gases flow backwards thru the plastic cut-off valve will eventually melt it.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Great explanation, is it the main computer that is using a specific sensor to detect cold verses warm running? Amazing that all these emmissions systems still work as well as originally intended 30 years later.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The water thermoswitch controls cold-running (switch closed) vs warm-running (switch open) on your model. The same signal from the water thermoswitch is sent to the K-Jet with Lambda ECU or KE3-Jet ECU to "tell" it to run open-loop (cold - and ignore the O2 sensor output) or closed-loop (warm - and use the O2 sensor output), but the air injection system isn't "intelligently" connected to the injection ECU at all -- the signal from the water thermoswitch just directly runs some relays and the electrovalve that supplies (or doesn't supply) vacuum to the cut-off valve.

Il Steeg and moysiuan like this.