Sebring Qualifying & Race | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sebring Qualifying & Race

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Mar 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Cool, what is that, 18 class wins for Ferrari now?

Go Risi!

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    LOL. Thanks.

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    It was a fantastic race. Good move by Dave Sims to put the #62 at the back of the grid, Mika had already made a move when he came past us at the Audi Hospitality tent at turn 17. Peugeot #8 really did a fantastic job considering during the warm-up they were in the paddock with hydraulic issues. When we did the grid walk, they pushed the car off the grid along with the tire rack, still with issues. Sebastian Bourdais and Allan had a heck of a good stint(s) together. Not surprising that they put Montagny in to finish the event and run with Allan. I really like the looks of the R15...awesome car. Glad to see Antonio in the winning yellow Corvette!

Turn 10 campsites looked the same as the past few years and seemed to be fewer. Lots of drunk or semi drunk young guys at the podium, I was standing on pit wall next to one of them. The Patron party place not like other race venues, it seemed like everywhere you looked there were bad guy catchers hanging out. It's a shame this event coincides with Spring Break!

Audi and Peugeot remained after the race to do additional 12 hour simulations. Bet that's interesting for sure. Can't wait for the three works Peugeots and Henri's customer 908 to run at Spa. Sure wish Audi would decide they need a little more practice before the 24h race.

We happened to be at the right place at the right time late Friday afternoon....we were in pit lane with David Brabham when he was in his dad's Cooper. One guy standing next to us was saying he was there at Sebring when Jack pushed the car across the line....I know that Michael got some absolutely awesome photos of Brabs in the car and pushing the car across the finish line. We figured the security person at the entrance to the pits must have been on a coffee break, perfect timing!! Then they showed the Truth in 24 in the Audi hospitality tent...what a fantastic documentary. We were fortunate to win a doorprize of a signed dvd of the Truth in 24 buy all six drivers!

Great weekend of being with friends/awesome cars/fantastic racing right down to the end.

Carol

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Ha! Thats cool!

The R15 looks the business and it got the job done. Awesome drive by all drivers, but McNish is something else. What a hero. The Peugeot guys put up a tremendous fight. Montagny's run from the back was incredible, and Bourdais showed he has a bright future in sportscars, with or without a F1 drive on the side.

I got a kick out of seeing the #62 Ferrari taking a fairly uncontested win, allthough it would have been great to have Porsche up there as well. Great job by the Advanced Engineering guys, putting their car on second place after 12 hours.

5. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Audi is amazing: to debut an entirely new chassis at a place as long and rough as Sebring and win first time out is remarkable! Considering that other debutantes (the P1 Acuras, the Dyson Lola-Mazdas and the GT2 BMWs) all had forgettable races, Audi's performance was incredible.

Risi must certainly like that particular 430: the same car has now won consecutively at Le Mans, Road Atlanta and now Sebring. That was about as trouble-free a run as you can have at Sebring, and a far cry from a year ago. I hope Mika Salo gets a few more drives in the car. Forza Risi!

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Audi did the same thing with the R8 and R10 - won the maiden races and kept on winning! I think Marco should be commended tremendously for have raced with cracked ribs acquired from driving the car earlier in the week. We chatted with him briefly long after the race...he looked a tad bit worn.

Mika will be driving LeMans, Petit and Laguna Seca. He was saying he hadn't been in a car since Laguna last October.

Carol

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
  9. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #34 yzee, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Michael, that shot of the R15 in flight is awesome. May need a copy for my screensaver. It really conveys the driver trying hard!

11. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The race was great! Too bad that so many cars dropped out. The Green zone was pretty quiet.

12. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #37 yzee, Mar 23, 2009
  13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Wow, great shots Michael. You were very close to the action!

14. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #39 yzee, Mar 23, 2009
  15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Fun race to watch. Sports car racing is getting better and better every year. I am thinking that it is going to be quite a popular sport in the not too distant future (at least I really hope its popularity keeps growing).

On a different note, as a Honda owner and former Acura owner, I really hope Acura can get its car sorted and really make a run at the Audi's and Puegeots. Additionally, with all the cost cutting going on in F1, perhaps we will see some other manufacturers throw their hat in the ring...come on Ferrari, let's bring back some of the older days.

Mark

16. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #41 yzee, Mar 23, 2009
    The new M3. Mario Thiessen was there. They didn't run Friday practice. One went to garage at the start. Teething problems for sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    What happened to Montagny's last stint? It looked like the Peugeout had the pace to catch the Audi while Bourdais was behind the wheel.

18. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Was wondering if he'd push it across the line or not. Great pics!
    Pity Sir Jack couldn't be there but glad everyone got to see the car and Sebring's history reminded.

19. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #44 yzee, Mar 23, 2009
  20. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    How did you get the pit lane access?

21. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    :D

22. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    #48 Seth Thomas, Mar 24, 2009
    Great weekend for me at Sebring. I qualified my GearWrench/BimmerWorld BMW 325 2nd on the grid and took the lead going into Turn 1. I led every lap of the race after that while setting the fastest race lap for the second year in a row.

While this picture isn't a Ferrari someone emailed me this picture of my car coming out of the smokey victory burnout celebration in Turn 1.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    woohoo! Congrats on your victory Seth. Not many people can say they have won at Sebring.

24. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Great win! Seth. How did you like the bumps on turn 1. :D