Sebastian Vettel using REPLICAS in F1 GP parade laps | FerrariChat

Sebastian Vettel using REPLICAS in F1 GP parade laps

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Marcel Massini, Oct 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1 Marcel Massini, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lately Sebastian Vettel has been seen using several replicas during F1 Grand Prix parade laps. Here he is in a "250 GT LWB California Spider" REPLICA with outside fuel filler cap (based on a 250 GT Cabriolet S2 Chassis #2157 GT) during the parade lap for the GP Belgium 2016. And then today again, this time in a "500 TRC Spider Scaglietti" REPLICA built in the UK (during today's F1 Grand Prix of Japan).

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    DK engineering TRC? I always liked them.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yeah. But REPLICA.
    And nobody from the factory gets it..........

Marcel Massini

4. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Sadly, Ferrari being O.K with a replica being used this way sums up the company at this point in its history.

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought that Ferrari was destroying replicas.

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    They tried...

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    So what is the current legal standing on these "replicas"? Has Ferrari ceased to threat in destroying them?

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    The person responsible for the fresh flower arrangements on the caviar table may also be the person responsible for the parade lap cars. I wouldn't think that Sebastian is requesting the replicas, is he? Having been to numerous GPs with Ferrari, it's quite hectic with the staff on Saturday mornings. There are a lot of smiling faces at the door but the stress level is clearly elevated.

Supervisor: Emilia, are the parade lap cars genuine Ferraris?
    Emilia: Not completely sure, they are red and one of them has the SF shield on the wing
    Supervisor: Fine then, did the cashmere sweaters arrive for today's gift bags?

:)

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    It is still a Ferrari though, I thought they were destroying 'replicas' of their cars not rebodied Ferrari's?

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #10 DeSoto, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Ferrari is often quite anal. Just like this thread.

I suppose that the GP organizers use the cars that they have available, most probably without paying anything to the owner. They are not supposed to know if a car is a replica or not, and even if they know, they also know that 99% of the public in the grandstands won´t get the difference. And of course Maurizio Arrivabene has a lot of other things to do than bothering the GP organizers about what cars they can or can´t use. At some GPs they even haven´t used Ferraris for the Ferrari drivers.

So thanks, it´s good to know it, but not really an issue.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #11 PSk, Oct 11, 2016
    I don't think parade cars are the responsibility of the team but the race organisers. They probably call up the car clubs and go from there.

It is probable that Vettel doesn't know a 250GTE from a 250LM. Take Jacques V, not in to Ferrari at all as he was always amongst them as a kid.

Personally I prefer the parade when it is one type of car, like all Austin Healeys or something.
    Pete

12. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    #12 Lussolover, Oct 11, 2016
    I think it looks very odd for him to be going on parade laps in a replica, just seems lazy to me, obviously not a question of getting a car. Maybe it's just the picture or my lack of knowledge but I do love the 250 tr pontoon and to me that replica looks absolutely like a replica in the photo. Headlights are not even close. Front grill area decent but obviously wrong shape, Front end / front fenders / side don't look right to me. The California I can't really tell except the wheel tires don't look quite perfect in the fender wells,maybe not quite right size. Area under back bumper looks a little off, but maybe I'm full of it.

I've always thought people can do what they want with cars, I don't have to be a fan of everyone else ideas. But I find it mildly offensive Ferrari can't muster up a real vintage car for this :)

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    again, nothing to do with Ferrari but the race organisers.

Just like Ferrari do not organise the hot dogs and chips for the spectators either.
    Pete

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's a replica of the TRC not the pontoon fender TR.

15. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    Yeah I should have been more clear, pontoon fender is all I've ever seen in person but it is a fav of my mine since I was a young kid, so I feel I know it's shape. In looking at more bruce meyer trc photos I guess the replica doesn't look bad, still the area behind the wheel wells is too extended it seems, and the headlight look too tiny. How close are these shapes in reality I wonder.