Seb out of SF for 2021 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Seb out of SF for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Too many mental errors.

DGPF and Phil~ like this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree,
    Unfortunately for us seb wasn't the same four world champion level Alain Prost was ..

DGPF, Nembo1777, william and 3 others like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Réal question is: Is Hamilton coming?
    I agree too many mental errors, he needs a new challenge or retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If there is a driver with low self esteem out there, that must be Bottas.

stavura and tifosi12 like this.
  5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    With all his flaws, I have to admit that Binotto is doing one thing right: he's not keeping worn drivers too much like they did in the past.

The gamble with Leclerc worked. Now I hope that he doesn't bring Giovinnazi.

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Last driver to offer to drive for a top team for free was Senna. Talk about a low self esteem guy begging for a job...

SeaRay, stavura, Senna1994 and 3 others like this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I can't say that I'm surprised. I think Seb finally realized he was never going to be able to win another title with Ferrari, especially with LeClerc now being the favorite son. I'm a bit surprised he's doing it after this season, which is obviously going to be unusual because of the rescheduling. There are three options open to him: find another team in F1, and to me the only logical option would be Mercedes (if they don't quit), go to Le Mans or DTM, or retire.

And the $64 million question is: who to replace him? Somehow I don't think that it will be Hamilton. I can't put my finger on a logical candidate at the present time.

DGPF and Boomhauer like this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Someone on another forum noted that, between them, Alonso and Vettel won six championships but were unable to win any with Ferrari, and they blamed it on Ferrari's poor tactics and strategy. But was that really the case?

It would be interesting to conjecture: if either of them had driven for the Scuderia at the height of the Todt/Brawn/Byrne era instead of Schumacher, would either of them have been able to do what Michael did?

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's a bit of a chicken/egg question: The Ferraris of that time were so good in part because MS developed them to that level. So taking him out of the equation also means the car won't be the same anymore.

That said, ceteris paribus, assuming the car was the same, yes Alonso would have won those races as well. And Vettel probably too, at least the version of Seb who was driving for Red Bull, not the over-the-hill version who just got fired.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ferrari and Vettel each failed to deliver in equal measure, it is time for both to move on. The choice of a second driver is not critical to the team's performance. I would take Seb's salary and recruit talent from Mercedes--Hello Toto?

DGPF, Boomhauer and Bas like this.
  11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, it was more on Ferrari than either driver. Not so much the tactics or strategy, but more that the car wasn't the fastest. It's impossible to win a championship when you don't have the fastest car, at least in this era of excellent reliability. Alonso over achieved, and Vettel got what he could out of the car. His mistakes were those of somebody in a slower car pushing it to the absolute maximum. Ferrari made a big mistake bringing Kimi back and running him for so long, he could never challenge either Alonso or Vettel. I also don't think he moved car development much, and to be fair to him that's tough to do with no testing.

I hope they bring Alonso back, whatever you say about him he gets the maximum out of the car and it doesn't matter what driving style is necessary to do it, he drives it how it needs to be driven to be fastest. There was never a question when he was driving if that car was capable of more, unlike the last few years.

12. EmreT

EmreT Karting

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emre
    I believe 2018 German Gp changed SF's plans and attitudes toward Seb, or at least paved the way for this result. That race was devastating.

Regarding the seat, Ricci sounds beautiful but my mind is still on Ham. Wish he would come. Yes, he is a tad cocky but no need to hate on him. People say he has been lucky because he has always managed to get the fastest car. How has he done so? We should ask that. There is a reason he managed to get the fastest cars. In Turkey, we got a saying "A tree with fruits is stoned", meaning anybody who are/have been successful are always criticized. That's just my idea. I would dearly welcome Ricci though but I don't think Perez or Sainz fits SF.

DGPF, jpalmito and Nuvolari like this.
  13. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Well Nigel Mansel never officially retired!

I'm not sure why some people are so negative about Ricciardo? I honestly think he was just as good as Max at RB and handily trounced Seb there. Max is certainly the golden boy at RB, above and beyond reason. Remember Baku? That was 100% Max's fault for moving over on Danny after his move under braking, but the implication from the team, especially Helmet Marko was it was Riccis fault. He's still the best of the late brakers, which has been hidden by the crappy Renault last year. Honestly I rate him at least on par with Seb, and quite possibly up there with Max, LeClerc and Lewis.

Sainz I'm really not sure. I rate him higher than many here, but we need to see him in a top team to find out how good he is. He could be a really good fit, I don't know.

Ferrari should be begging Lewis right now, but I don't know if it would be the right move for him. I kind of hope he does move, as the challenge from LeClerc would force him to bring his A game every weekend.

I'd be happy with any of those three.

As for Seb, I think a swap with either Sainz or Ricciardo is his best bet. No way will Mercedes take him. If Lewis does go to Ferrari I think they will go for Ocon.

14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Sainz is the most logical choice right now.
    A perfect second driver because they perfectly know that Leclerc is a multiple world champion in the making assuming they will have a good car.

Boomhauer and Senna1994 like this.
  15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #65 freshmeat, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    All I can say is good riddance!

Said it when he first joined the Scuderia and I’m going to say it again now, “Seb is overrated. Destroyed by 2 rookie drivers in their debut seasons, all the while with #1 driver status, on 2 frickin different teams!”

His shelf life long expired, and unlike Alonso who some are comparing Seb to right now, Alonso was NEVER DESTROYED by his Ferrari teammate nor did he make the frequency or magnitude of amateur blunders Seb did. Also, Seb had a car capable of winning the championship at least in 2 seasons, but due to a combo of his unforced errors (70%) and flawed ferrari strategy calls (30%) both seasons were lost.

Alonso never had a winning Ferrari car under him...

Can’t wait to hear who replaces Seb, I would love to see Ric mix it up w Lec.

IMO there is as much of a chance of Hamilton joining Ferrari as Alonso lol

DGPF and [gTr] like this.
  16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Lewis will go to Ferrari if and only if he knows Mercedes is done.

Without Mercedes on the grid, Ferrari has potential to be a winning car for Hamilton.

Talk about cementing your legacy... a Multi WDC with 3 teams including Ferrari. His GOAT status would be difficult to dispute.

DGPF, F2003-GA, EmreT and 1 other person like this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

P2 in the WDC !

The mighty Mercedes can even magic away the low self-esteem of a journeyman

DGPF likes this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Unfortunately Ricci has no chance of a Mercedes seat alongside Hamilton.

Toto wants to keep protecting Lewis just as Uncle Ron protected him at McLaren.

Ricci at Ferrari is possible.

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Ricci, Sainz and just maybe Perez as a distant choice to replace SV

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He won't, Ferrari doesn't take trash....

21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Really doubt Hamilton want to be in the same team as Leclerc.
    This is why he will never be a truly GOAT contender like Prost or lauda ( only my opinion )

stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Merc is in F1 for just enough time to see through Lewis to retirement
    So I don't see him ever going to Ferrari

SimCity3 likes this.
  23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
  24. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    For Seb, how bout this.

Ferrari have said if the F1 budget cap is too low they will re-allocate money to another series, either WEC or Indy car. Maybe he stays with Ferrari, takes a sabbatical and leads their Indy effort. I doubt it, but I'd love to see it. I was never a Fred Alonso fan in F1, but much more respect for him taking on Indy. Would love to see Seb do the same. Yes I realize this is pie in the sky, but I think it would be cool.

25. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I just read on a site that says Carlos Sainz will be announced later this week. Maybe . . . .

Personally, I would prefer Riccardo. However, if Ferrari wants Chuck Leclerc to be the clear #1 on the team, Sainz makes more sense than Danny. He's very experienced at being the #2 man. And I mean that in a good way.

stavura, Bas and Senna1994 like this.