Seb out of SF for 2021 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Seb out of SF for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not sure why Ric is useless...

I think he can be had cheaply (obviously not at home at Renault and their lies), at Ferrari he'll have a competitive car.

Phil~, 375+, jgonzalesm6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No way Mercedes takes Vettel. Why would they? That would be massively stupid. Potential clashes with their #1 are likely (certain??)... They don' need him for PR... Never going to happen.

DGPF, Apollo 11 and william like this.
  3. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Competitive car? I'm not sure about that and maybe that's one reason Seb leaves the Scuderia, anticipating that this and the next season will be without any success.

SeaRay, william and Boomhauer like this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm sure 'Nando would jump at the chance.

subirg likes this.
  5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I’m obviously being deliberately harsh, but I just don’t rate him. Sorry. He’s not a tier one driver. Never was, never will be. The one advantage he brings vs leclerc is his very different racing style. He is better at liking after his tyres and can adopt a different race strategy thereby reducing the chances of a crash with his teammate. Not really a compelling reason to hire him, but a factor in the decision.

I personally like the idea of Nando. He’s experienced, seems to have mellowed a touch and is a world class racer. If anyone is going to get the best out of the package in a race situation it’s him. I know he has a lot of haters, but I like him and he’s fast. Perhaps ferrari will be concerned that he’s too fast and could upset young Leclerc, but that’s the wrong reason to turn him down. Sadly, I think the real issue blocking a return will be money. Ferrari will need a cheaper number 2.

ktu, Bas and Boomhauer like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I'm not so sure anymore hamilton won't join the scuderia ..

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    This thread will grow 100 pages before they need to decide. Think they’ll go cheap (should be easier as the days grow long) and someone who will not steal (m)any points from Eclair and is easy on the machinery. Hulk calibre will do. If there’s an F1 at all....

DGPF and 375+ like this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No one would turn down that seat at Ferrari, they holding all the cards now, they can take any driver they choose.

I would be very surprised if they have not already decided on who .just a case of sorting out the contract formalities.

Ricci as a proven race winner surely is the hot favourite. Gio would be a massive gamble, and Sainz how good is he really ?

Wild card would be Bottas ,our favourite butler.

Then again what about Lewis,surely he is not completely out of the frame ?

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Guess we need another poll ...''who do you want to replace Vettel 2021"

Anyone ?

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ok fair point well made...let me rephrase.

A more competitive car than the Renault:D

11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I’m not a Seb hater. I’ve never understood why he’s so hated ... nor do I get the Lewis hatred either for that fact. I liked Vettel at Ferrari and I wish he could’ve ended his career there. Boy that done now and I hope he gets in a couple wins before It’s all over.

The only thing I care about now is that Alonso just stays out of F1 and that Ricciardo doesn’t get the seat. I know that’s not really popular but I’m one of the few here that thinks Ric can’t cash the checks his mouth writes in every interview. He has an underlying arrogance that he masks with his smile that just rubs me the wrong way. I don’t hate the guy... I just thing he’s overhyped. Alonso... just stay out race elsewhere.

I’d like to see Seb go to McLaren and finish his career maybe bring them back to their first win. He’s great at team building and development ... to what a driver can do anyway... and I’d like to see him help raise McLaren from the ashes. I think in a couple years they could win races based on how they’ve improved.

kdf398, Boomhauer and Nuvolari like this.
  12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    As things stand I would put Giovinazzi in pole for the second drive.

straight swap and Kimi/Seb back together?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As mentioned previously I would sign Hulk as a reserve driver now for peanuts, he is certainly competent. If there is a 2020 season and Seb clashes with Charles bench the offending driver and designate Hulk. The threat might keep all parties in line. Whatever the 2021 season may bring there won't be more F1 seats available, there might well be fewer. That means a driver surplus and retainers go down. No hurry for Ferrari to sign a replacement--they will get the pick of the litter. My 2 cents.

RtR!

Bas and Isobel like this.
  14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I think Ricciardo will be able to mobilize and galvanize the Tifosi like no other driver currently on the grid. In terms of potential, Giovinazzi or Norris would perhaps be better fits in the long run, but Ricciardo would fit like a glove in Ferrari’s philosophy, structure and approach to racing. And that’s important in order to perform and get the results both parties want and need.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

HCEdwards and jmillard308 like this.
  15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Frank Williams made that mistake with Damon Hill !!!

16. bmagni

bmagni Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Pérez would be a good option

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I think that this is an unfortunate separation but probably for the best. It is my opinion that Seb has been overly trashed by the Tifosi as all their hope and focus was on the latest golden boy. Such is the way of The Scuderia and its 'fans'. I personally enjoyed Vettel's time at Ferrari and he brought the team some great results and promise. Still one season(ish) to go and I look forward to seeing him in Red for whatever races are run in 2020.

Moving forwards the big question is now: Where does he go and who replaces him?

Again my opinion is that Seb ends up at McLaren or Aston Martin. Renault is another Toyota with tons of resources and little to show for it under the present management. Red Bull is out because Max is their guy and Red Bull is not a team with 2 number ones. Alfa is almost a junior team for Ferrari and I can't see him going there. That and I think he is done with the Ferrari group. Unless Hamilton leaves Mercedes is smart enough not to put two number ones in their car. It would be an example of spending a lot extra to undermine your efforts.

McLaren is on the up and the addition of Mercedes engines will only make them stronger. I'm sure a German driver would be an incentive to the Mercedes board too so there would be some pressure there. Also it is one of the few teams that would be in a position to pay the salary demands of a driver like Vettel. To me this is the best option.

Aston Martin is an interesting dark horse. No secret that Stroll will always have a seat but Vettel could propel them into winners and drag Stroll along for the ride. The management there is also arrogant and well funded so they will want to make a strong impression straight away. Signing Vettel would be a big coup.

As for who will replace Vettel it all hinges on what happens at/with Mercedes. If Mercedes leaves and Hamilton stays in the sport then Ferrari is almost a certainty. Ferrari and its fans will turn on Le Clerc faster than they did on Vettel if Hamilton starts to deliver. If Mercedes stays then I don't see Hamilton leaving. I have my doubts on Ricciardo joining them however Hulk could be an interesting dark horse. Going back to the McLaren connection I could easily see a swap for Sainz.

My ideas and only time will tell.

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Mercedes should never recruit a driver who offer his service "for free".

That shows someone with low self-esteem and begging for a job.

DGPF likes this.
  19. John.D

John.D Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2009
    France
    this is very sad news for Scuderia FERRARI, losing a driver like Vettel is a mistake that will cost them dear I think, especially after the dark hours we are going through ..... A team like La Scuderia who loses a driver top of the range it is a Problem especially without really having a pilot to replace it and pilots of its size that does not run the tracks ..... a very sad news !!

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok, thank you Seb.

DGPF likes this.
  21. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Maybe only a little more this year. And we have that car over two seasons...

Bas likes this.
  22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    First off I won't miss Seb.

Second, and possibly much more important: We're in for a very cool season once it gets underway. Seb won't drive for Leclerc or Ferrari anymore. He'll only listen to himself. Fireworks a la Sao Paulo are in the forecast. I can't wait to see them duke it out wheel to wheel. :)

DGPF, SeaRay and till.a.fischer like this.
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ricci is the way to go, it's a no brainer, he's teh only one avaiable with enough talent to replace Seb, and he's a good team mate, super fast, top overtaker, experienced, nice guy, italian name, perfect.
    Please not sainz, we don't need worst, but better

jmillard308 and 05011994 like this.
  24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    If I were Vettel I would call Hamilton and say "hey champ, wanna switch seats?" . Vettel finishes his career at Mercedes and Hamilton finishes his career at Ferrari. How cool would be that?

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Meh. I'd rather see Hamilton get one or two more titles first.

DGPF, william and Terra like this.