355 - Searching for a 355, DIY question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Searching for a 355, DIY question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarista98, Oct 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    guys, im two times champion in racing so I really know how important tires are. :)
    I'm more interested in when the motor from my f355 should be removed for belt replacement?

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    3-5 years regardless of miles. I'm not sure but I think there may be some threads on this topic somewhere?

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Based on the Super Major I did a couple years ago, I’m going 7, but it’s each to his own. One thing I do know is 3 is pretty ridiculous.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The absolute correct answer is 1 to 15 years as your comfortable. Its a risk tolerance thing. It varies by person. Many failures happen after a major so doing a major frequently is arguably more dangerous than doing it less frequently I suppose. I wonder if you can change belts and not pullies.

Ohh look another belt change thread.:)

Qavion and PhilB like this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I was gonna post, but what the hell ...another belt thread.

6. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    thanks guys !
    I will take engine out after next season.
    btw. just ordered Michelin sport 4 :)

Qavion likes this.
  7. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I found out this is almost true... Same casing, but there are internal differences that mean when you lose a bearing in your F1 box, you can't just buy a used manual box for 3k on Ebay, and rebuilding the box is not for the average DIYer. The one service I couldn't do - I would rebuild the motor myself if it blew up - was open the gearbox.
    Which is why I maintain that a manual is 100% DIY friendly, and the F1 is really close but may require some extra love from the outside.

One reality though: if you do your own major it will hurt resale, no matter how good you are. You will eliminate a large percentage of potential buyers. Sad but true.

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Yes, some slight internal differences for consideration on a gearbox rebuild. Hardly DIY though.
    My point was these cars (F1 vs manual shift) use the same gearbox in operational efforts. It's the controls that matter.

You may be right on the major...but not with me.
    My last engine out service was done at a well respected, well known, Ferrari indi shop. It did not turn out very well.
    It took me 6 months to straighten out the mess....

On the drive home I smelled gas...they forgot to put the seals in on fuel distribution block. I drove 15 miles like that until I almost ran out of gas.....think about where the fuel was going.

I'll be doing my own next time as I want it done correctly. I am not selling so I don't care what the supposed resale hit may, or may not, be.

9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'd put some of the well documented DIY majors on this forum against a LOT of indy shops. It shouldn't hurt value at all. I've seen fewer owners half ass things because 1. Its their car, and they're keeping it. 2. They're not trying to make money at it. 3. They're possibly more thorough at "while you're in there" stuff.

I've got a ground strap on the stereo amp in my car held on with 3 tec screws. Moron shops are everywhere.

sjd

10. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Agreed. 100%. I swapped the transmission myself because it is simply not possible for any paid mechanic to do so with the same care and attention to detail, because you can't make a living when a 6 hour job takes 6 weeks! I have also sold cars on this forum to people who understand these things.

But ... and it's a big but... you are limited to the people who understand both this and YOU, because you have to prove you didn't screw something up. Experience and factory support still have value, and most people who don't know you will demand it.

steved033 likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I cringe every time someone says the F1 gearbox and 6 speed gearbox are the same... It's not the same, it's mostly the same with some differences enough to make it unusable in a direct swap. Extra sensors in the wrong places, extra control in shifter, and different slave bearing.

I do not agree that DIY major is a sale inhibitor. I sold my 355 with a thick book of pictures and invoices for years of DIY. The buyer did not complain. On the other hand, I have seen a ton of ****ty work done by supposed professionals.

J. Salmon likes this.
  12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Can you swap an F1 gear box into a manual shift car? Yes.
    Can you directly swap a manual shift gear box into an F1 car? No. The manual shift gearbox lacks some location points for the F1 sensors.

My point was, and continues to be, that operationally they are the same with manipulation of the input shaft being the only difference.