Sea Ray steering problems | FerrariChat

Sea Ray steering problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by envytheZ06, Feb 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. envytheZ06

envytheZ06 Karting

Sep 11, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    I have a 2008 Sea Ray 290 sly and there seems to be a lot of play in the wheel when I go to turn. I would say I can move the wheel about 4 inches in either direction before it catches and starts to turn the boat. Anyone else have similar issues with their sea ray? The tech has come out three times replaced a few parts and nothing has fixed the problem....frustrating.

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    When you turn the wheel, you should be able to see the ram move in the engine compartment. That should tell you if the play is in the wheel or the cable. If there isn't any play in the cable and wheel, try wiggling the outdrive back and forth. The outdrive might move laterally without the wheel moving at all. You may need to have someone hold the wheel in place.

3. hammer1

hammer1 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Chris Morris
    Is your steering hydraulic ?

4. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Our wakeboard boat had a similar problem. There is a cable that runns from the steering wheel through the bildge to the power steering. These cable are susceptible to rust causing a delay or now movement when the wheel is turned.
    Not that big of a deal to fix. IIRC, I think the cable was around $200

5. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR

Your typical boat has hydraulic steering and run with a standard GM style power steering pump, ultimately to the ram section in the back. (and with dual engines internal tierod).

What you could have is air in the system, and it does not take much.

6. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    You probably need to bleed the system. 20 or so turns from side to side and listen for air or knocking type sounds.

Www.clubsearay.com will know for sure