Sea Doo vs Waverunner | FerrariChat

Sea Doo vs Waverunner

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by jimpo1, Dec 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #1 jimpo1, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I may buy a new PWC in the next few months, and have always been a Sea Doo guy. I've helped quite a few friends buy them over the years, and always go straight to the Bombardier dealership. That may change.

We rented some watercraft last Summer a few times for ocean use, and they were always Yamaha's. That struck me as a little strange, but as I've started shopping, Yamaha is touting their reliability, resale value, and the fact that they sell tons of them as rentals. If I were running a rental company, I'd be concerned about those things.

My current Sea Doo is 12 years old and has had better days. I have trouble keeping it running lately, I think largely due to the newer formulation of gas with ethanol. It's nearly ALWAYS a fuel problem or gunked up carb/fuel filter. I love it because it's a small boat, and it will 'spin' like nothing I've ever ridden. It's plenty fast for what we use it for, will run ~45mph. The newer watercraft I ride just isn't as exciting. 45 on my Sea Doo is a hang-on-and-scream ordeal that leaves me breathing hard and sore, 45 on a newer boat makes me wish I was holding a cold beer and had cruise control. The new ones are too big, and their sheer size makes them less fun to me. Did I mention I also love to spin? I haven't found a newer model that will do it.

Price points seem to be comparable across both Sea Doo and Yamaha based on similar craft. My recent experience with reliability has got me wondering if a Yamaha is more reliable. I see that the supercharged Sea Doo's need their blowers rebuilt every few years, I'm NOT interested in that. I'm not too concerned about resale value, I tend to keep them until they die. I also have 2 teenaged boys that think they are bulletproof and are speed demons. I'll be buying something just above entry-level because of it, I don't need a 65mph boat for my 14 year old.

If anyone has owned both, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Or, if you have a newer model and have interesting experiences, please share.

It will spend its life here:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    What about Honda? They make great products.

Also, I think the new 65+ MPH boats come with 2 keys, one with significantly less HP on hand.

3. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Honda no longer makes PWC's.

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I haven't had a PWC in many years. But I was big into them back in the day and the Yamahas were always touted as more reliable than the Sea Doos. Not sure if that is still the case but like you I do see that the vast majority of rentals are Yamahas. I rented one this summer, it was the VXS. It was HUGE! I did get it to spin but it took some work. They have to be a few inches wider and a foot longer than my last one which was a WaveRaider. Also heavier I suspect as well. And I also noticed how quiet the VXS was, I remember all my PWCs being loud, the Yamaha I was on this summer was quiet even at full throttle.

If you have to buy, wintertime is the best time to do it. I used to get mine in the winter and I would always save thousands. Then again I live in FL and our winters aren't too cold to be out there on the water.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

5. steve02370

steve02370 Karting

Jul 11, 2011
    AL
    Full Name:
    Steve N
    I ride the Yamaha FX Crusiers (HO and SHO). I like that they sit a little higher in the water so you get less splash in your face and I love the seats on the Cruisers.

6. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    SEadoo RXP all the way. Everytime.

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    #7 TheDuke, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    sea-doo does that. Yamaha I assume doesn't based on how their key works. The slow key makes it very slow but since it's based off the computer, maybe you could get it programmed for x speed.

Everyone I know that has a sea-doo has an older model that used to be fun but now doesn't work anymore.
    The yamahas are fun and I spent a good amount of hours on one over a weekend. It was a blast and I was sore afterwards. It was fast and handled well. It's capable of about 60mph but that was tough so I mostly hit low 50s. Model was a Yamaha VX Deluxe from a few years ago.

Yamahas are also fun because they shoot water up and it's fun to hit people with it on startup. :D it's also a safety feature because it helps other people see you better.

As we always say on this forum, test drive both and see which one you like the most. I know that's kind of hard right now. Try looking at PWC forums for more info.

Good luck

Forgot to mention that I don't like the throttle on the sea-doo because my thumb starts hurting after at little bit. I can drive the yamaha all day with out my finger hurting. I think it's a better design but that's just IMO

8. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #8 jimpo1, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012

:(

9. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Man... I guess you really didn't like those posts. :)

I have a 180hp Yamaha and I really like it. I've been thinking about selling it so I can get a matching pair of super fast ones. My fat ass could only get it up to about 66 MPH buy my skinny brother in law saw 70 MPH at once.

It does have a low power mode. I've never used it but it's great for younger folks to learn on.

GT

10. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Jim hates these posts!!!

11. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Sorry guys, my FChat locked up LOTS of times yesterday. I couldn't get it to do anything. I guess every click on 'submit reply' actually worked!

Either that or I'm being Big Tex and bumping my post count? Or maybe I REALLY do want an RXP? ;)

So Gene, you're selling a Yamaha???? :)

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Why buy new? 10 year old pwc are 500-1000$ with almost no usage.

I love the older stuff. I just bought a 86 exciter snowmobile with a 440 motto, which is exactly what was in their jet skis. That motor is as simple as can be. Dirt cheap to fix and run. Stuff was so simple back then, it's much more fun.... Like you said, 40 mph feels like Mach 2...

Bo

13. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    i had the SHO ... loved it ...

amazing machine ...

tho it does tend to lengthen yr arms ...

:D

14. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have old. The Kawasaki floating in the picture below is an '89. :) My Sea Doo is a '99.

The issue becomes keeping them running with ethanol. It never ends.

15. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Yep, just finished rebuilding the carbs... Again...

16. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    They make multiple keys for the RXP and RXT lineup to let you limit how fast they go. The RXP and RXT are BAD machines we love ours.