SDL with new hyperflows, new rear o2 sensors, changed oil and reinstalled right temp | Page 12 | FerrariChat

SDL with new hyperflows, new rear o2 sensors, changed oil and reinstalled right temp

Discussion in '348/355' started by drbob101, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Good.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have noticed this problem too with new TC vs old TC since I monitor EGT manually bypassing TCU's completely. What we need is the graph of voltage output vs. temperature. I bet that 0.5V is a significant variation on temperature. In the docs for this system you posted before I can't remember if there was such a graph.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Referenced to 32 F as 0 V, 2.2 V would be about 1032 F, 2.7 V about 1260 F. (0.0022 V/F)

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's what I thought. So new TC to Old TC there is a 200*F spread. Interestingly I have that issue right now with my manual monitoring but only a 100*F spread. I think TC aging is an important issue because this aging cuts the window down before the TCU's trigger SDL and limpmode. We will see operational ranges of 1400-1000*F and a 200*F ageing delta is significant.

It seems that all K type TC's are the same. Do you know a way or different robust K TC's like milspec or FAA certified or something to ensure consistent TC outputs? I think we would benefit from reliable inputs.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #280 johnk..., Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    If it's aging the only thing that can be done is better shielding. But ultimately the wire composition and crystal structure change over repeated heat cycles leading to inaccuracy. But I don't know if this could account for a 200 degree F variation.

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    We are talking fractional voltage changes representing triple digit temp changed. I can readily see how this system can become quirky over time.

Fbb.. Egt has a few Tc options in k type beyond what I got from them. His comment on posing the question you proffered was that the ones I got from them are typically fine in this type of application.

I ll have the other new ones Friday and am going on an FCA ride Saturday. We shall see. 😉

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, all I know is that we spent another trouble free day in my 95 today. About 150 miles running around northeast CT with a lunch stop ant one of my favorite pubs.

8. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Maybe in the fall we will take a ride up
    There John and spend a night. Would be fun to get together.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You gotta love M.Y. 1995! Before my recent major service, my 1995 F355 Challenge would get a CHECK ENGINE 1-4 light if it idled for more than 30 seconds. It went off soon after picking up speed. Now both CHECK ENGINE 1-4 and 5-8 lights come on and go off within a second of each other with the same maneuver.

My car is working perfectly!! :D

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I did get a couple of 1-4 flickers earlier this year. Code said O2 sensor. Ordered one from Rock Auto for $63. Not so much as a blink since I put the new one in. I have a hard time calling replacing an O2 sensor a problem. I had to replace one on my Toyota truck and it cost almost twice as much as the 355 sensor. I guess my 355 is as reliable as my Toyota. The Toyota unit was also from Rock Auto. It was cheaper to fix my 355 than my Toyota pickup. See 355s are not expensive to maintain. :)

Oh, and yea, what is that TC doing in the by pass loop on an OBD car? 95's don't have it.

11. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I have yet to he a clear explanation of what the bp Tc does. As I said I see it outputting .50-,70 v. Hardly a wife enough range given the lack of exactness of this system to be diagnostic for the ecu.

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

It simply looks for a temperature when the bypass should be open. To tell if the bypass is working correctly or the cat in the bypass pipe is OK as the post cat TC's do to tell you the big cats are working.

"emission controls"
    :)

13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Ok. What does it do with that info? Does it have anything to do with sdl? Does it trigger a cel? Does it impact fuel trim?

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    If any part of the emission catalyst monitoring system shows an over heat mode it will throw a SDL putting it into a limp mode. If any part stays out of perimeter it will throw a CEL stating the Emission System is malfunctioning, check it :)

After the engine gets to 163 degrees the fuel trim runs off the 02 sensors
    Load vs coolant temp vs throttle position vs rpm vs coolant temp triggers the fuel trim amounts. Did I say coolant temp? That seems to be all over for calculations and a very important thing you have a most excellent cooling sensor and connections

Were still mapping the ECU, at this time it appears
    These two seem to be on separate circuits.

Now what did I say? LOL

15. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #290 drbob101, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the new TC designed as a direct replacement for the OEM product.

The length of the probe is correct, the angle of the bend is correct, the length of the shielded lead is correct and the nut has the correct thread to fit the cat thermocouple fitting on 355s and 550s.

If you do this yourself it will cost you about $75 each and require ordering the connectors, crimping and installing them and drilling and tapping the compression cap with the correct drill and tap set.

I would suggest anyone having SDL issues to first replace all the TC. They do have a finite life and 16 years is probably pretty much at the outside of their expected life. The leads and the connectors are suspect as well.

The OEM cost on these is $261.25 pn 157501

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=203643
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Bob,why can't you get the proper nut from the TC manufacture? Drilling out an existing thread and re-tapping a different thread over it is less than ideal, and depending on the existing thread, it might not be possible.

EDIT - I meant compression cap - not nut.

17. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    It is done and it works fine. Drilling and tapping that nut is a piece of cake, I did it myself.

The issue involves mating the diameter of the TC probe, the compression coupling that fits said probe and the thread size and timing that exists on the cats.

This project required a lot of time and sourcing and testing other probes and sizes and sourcing the correct sizes and thread fitment.

It is ideal and the original nuts were drilled and tapped so drilling and tapping this is nothing more than machining it to fit. Hardly less than ideal it is how the nuts are originally manufactured.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm not understanding, Bob. You mention nut is correct but need to tap compression cap - can you post a picture please?

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I am referring to the compression cap/nut that fixates the probe to the cat. The cap/nut that is pictured on the probe.

There is a hole in that cap that has to match the diameter of the probe. In this case 3/16". The standard thread in that cap of a 3/16" compression fitting does not fit the thread on the cat bung. By drilling and tapping that cap/nut it fits perfectly and correctly fixates the probe to the cat.

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    OK, I was confused because you stated above: "and the nut has the correct thread to fit the cat thermocouple fitting on 355s and 550s." Then you stated you needed to drill and tap it.

If I'm missing something, let me know.

21. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    The probe as sourced comes with the nut as pictured, with no connector. The nut as it is received with the probe has incorrect threads for our cars and needs to be tapped and the correct connector needs to be attached.

I was describing the completed piece after doing the abovein saying that it has the correct thread to fit.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If the need was high enough, we could bang out 100 or 200 of the nuts in my shop for a pretty affordable price and then they would not need alteration and the plating would not get cut away from tapping them. Even better, we could make them from stainless steel so not plating would be required.

23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #298 drbob101, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's good.

25. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Interesting discovery. If the cat ecu is unplugged from the harness the signal line reads 5v.

I checked it on two of them and that's what is there so there is a baseline voltage in the signal line overridden by the cat ecu?

Do all of the main ecu data lines carry this 5v?

I would have expected it to be zero