Scuderia Rampante Hose Kit for F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Scuderia Rampante Hose Kit for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by The Outcast, Mar 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You get what you pay for, Ricambi is the shidnit....Dans the man. One phone call and it's done...no drama. Glad your happy.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I go down to Oreilly with those hoses. I hand them the hoses and tell them to match up to something that fit. I have never paid more than $100 for a car. If you cut them off every five years and replace them, why bother getting the $1000 set. But, hey, it's your car and your money.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Too much of my money, Mitchell, but we Aussies don't always have the (local) choices you have in the USA. We just don't have the manufacturers you have over there. I don't think we even have a car industry here any more. Almost everything is made in China.

I'm willing to pay for quality, but as the photos and comments reveal, SR is far from perfect (and, aesthetically, I'm not a big fan of all that unsightly lettering on the hoses).

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I suspect OEM is expensive, but my point is, if you want Silicone hoses there are multiple manufacturers that will supply at a fraction of the prices we are talking about here.

Appreciate your position out in AUS, ie lack of supply, but there are lots who will ship internationally now, but you off course have to factor in import duties etc. and to be honest I don't know what that will run you? That said, you must have silicone hose manufacturers out there these days?

I'm in the process of doing all mine on my 348; so I bough the basic kit from Superformance, and have been buying Samco hoses for the little ones not necessarily included, only because that's what my local motorsport shop stocks, including the odd oil breather pipe etc. All told I'll be about £200-250 total!

I'm always happy to pay for quality, but there does come a point....

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I started fixing my own cars when I was 15. British, Italian (fiat) and other POS's although HS & college.

But I did! Twice!

Once. Two years ago.... Just wen BOOM! But it was an original hose in my 1980 Triumph TR8.

What a POS rubber hose. 180,000 miles, 35 years old and it just split on a 100 degree day.

The other one was in my 355 a month after I bought it. Seems mechanic Gary Sharpe punched a screw driver partially through the water pump hose on install. It let go in spectacular fashion on the freeway, sprayed coolant and cooked the water pump seal. But fear not! Gary is no longer working on Ferrari's....he is fixing airplanes o_O

taz355 likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Holy crap !!!

WATSON likes this.
  7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I did have a heater hose let go on the 328. That is the famous one running from the back of the car to the very front of the car and almost no one ever changes that on a regular basis. This winter, the 328 is going in for a long term project and that will get changed. So, yes the hoses do let go if you don't change them after ... 28 years.

8. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Mitchell, I had that same hose fail on my 328 along with the overflow hose that runs from the water manifold under the plenum to the expansion tank. The heater hose was original but the other one had been changed by the dealer once before. Definitely check that one during your long term project. Both of those hoses are exposed to constant heat which likely contributes. I haven't been as lucky as others here with coolant hoses. Along with the 328 I had one fail on my M5. That car I've owned since new and it was 10 years into ownership when that hose let go.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I did change that hose under the plenum when I got the car, along with all other coolant and fuel hoses, except for that long heater hose. The heater hose failed spectacularly on Columbus st, North Beach in San Francisco. It was fun having people telling me that my car was smoking....

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I had the upper 90 degree elbow hose (164417) split on me at Watkins Glen four years ago. When I checked my rear view mirror for traffic after accepting a point-by, the rear windshield was all fogged up. At first I thought it was smoke and I reached for the fire suppression handle. I refused the point-by and prepared to pit in. The changing pattern of the fogging led to a diagnosis of a coolant leak. The corner worker at pit lane told me I was about to be flagged in as I was trailing vapor. After the engine cooled sufficiently, my technician changed the hose and I was back out for the next session.

Coolant hoses do indeed fail. My F355 Challenge was due for a major service. I had them replace all the coolant hoses, except the new right angle hose. :)

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My experience with Dave H has allways been excellent, i also had help from himearly on and supported him by buying his products.
    I installed bith the gkc and the hose kit and they have been excellent for years except for 1 hose failure.
    He told me he would replace it if i sent it too him but i had all ready thrown it out and replaced it.

I am still a supporter of his because of my personal dealings with him.

chas-3 and KJB355 like this.