School me on wakeboard boats... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

School me on wakeboard boats...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 355dreamer, Jul 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan13

Ryan13 Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thats amazing what color is that protour red or viper red. Also how is the surf wave?

2. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I learned how out of touch I am with this market. I bought my Mastercraft new in 2005. IIRC, I got a boat show special of about $45K which seemed like a lot of money. Last night I was messing around on the MC page and configured an X43. List was almost $145K. even if you peel on 20% for discounts it's still North of $115K! That is a huge bite for what I would think is a pretty young demographic. Just surprised how much Wake Boats cost. Also surprised with how much configuration you can do.

3. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    That's nothing. I know someone that just recently specked his Nautique and it was $205K He removed a couple options to get it just below 200K.

4. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I bet most of them are financed and probably depreciate faster than the note is paid down. $200K is an expensive toy. Yikes. Just amazing to me what they cost.

5. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat

I just traded in a 2006 for 11K more than I paid for it. This summer I looked at some used and demo 2014 and 2015's and the dealer wanted more than it was to order a 2016 from the factory. I also was perusing boattrader.com and sellers were asking more than they paid for a year old boat with hours on them. It's insane. 6 years ago you couldn't give them away.

6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You're highlighting even further how detached I am from this market. 10 years ago, which is a while but not that long ago, I don't think you could spend more than 60K on a MC. My MC has 200hrs on it, always garaged and freshwater only in Colorado. I was going to ask $20K. I may rethink that.

Compare to the price of an F430 to a F458 over the same time. it is amazing how expensive wake board boats have become.

7. Moondog4224

Moondog4224 Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    I have a 1995 prostar 205 for sale with custom wake board tower. Garaged and fresh water boat. Sold our lake house.... 15k 9049945155 cell

8. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    It's been 3 years since I started this thread, and I think I finally found my boat.

It's a 2006 Mastercraft X2 with just over 100 hours. It's in seemingly great condition, and has always been dry docked and winterized.

I'll keep everyone posted if I pull the trigger.

9. ChicagoVV

ChicagoVV Karting

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dan Van Voorhis
    We have a 2016 Malibu Wakesetter (23') LSV. My kids are on it daily - wakesurfing, wakeboarding, etc. Awesome boat with the surfgate!

10. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've owned Malibu's and Nautique's. By far the build quality is much higher on the Nautique's. I had a SuperAir Nautique 210 Team Edition that this last year we finally got rid of and upgraded to the G20.

I put 900 hours on a prostar 205 master craft. That boat just kept going even being weighted with over 4000lbs of ballast. It was very reliable and solid. As are most Mastercrafts.

The Nautique was in a league of it's own. Not until the last few years did Mastercraft and Malibu start catching up. The 210 wake is legendary. Many of my pro buddies who would ride for Malibu would beg to ride behind our boat. Besides the factory ballast of 950. I was also running over 3000lbs of lead plates and bags. The Malibu's had to run over 5000lbs to get a similar wake. The interior of the boat looked as new the day bought it when sold.

The boat spent a short little time down at Canyon Lake. Where Melissa Marquet, Randy Harris and the rest of those WSR guys would ride the back water with us. The boat ended up with 600 trouble free hours.

Now the G20 makes the 210 seem like a tiny little boat. I'm not quite sure how Nautique was able to make the boat the same length and make if feel like a 30ft boat. It feels almost twice as wide as the 210. The hull is at the least 3 times taller. The layout is quite amazing with all of the adjustable seating configurations. You can fit 3 large adults in the front bow with plenty of space and your not subbing the front of the boat. I believe the difference between the 210 and the G20 is around 2000lbs in just the hull weight. The wake is massive on this boat. It definitely needs re-proped. It will not plane out with the factory one. The wake surf wave is pretty fun. I can do lap after lap hitting the lip around Castaic Lake until I pass out with exhaustion.

If you are primarily for wake boarding, Nautique, Mastercraft and Malibu will be the top boats for that. If your really into wake surfing, most of the new boats offer wake surf tabs and are all decent. I've been limited to wake surfing the last few years due to 3 knee replacements due to wake boarding.

Be careful with brands like Axis, Centurions and Calabria. The build qualities are so so.
    Even on these 100k+ boats, you still get plenty of little things they have to fix when you get it from the dealer.

For 40K? You can find a lot of very nice boats. Nautique 210's are in the 20-36 range. That would be from about 2002-2012. Wake setter VLX's are going to be about the same. Malibu X-stars will be 25-40. You'll spend a bit more on the pickle fork hull.
    You'll find that these boat's from new depreciate like crazy.

Features? You definitely want tower speakers. Best are Wetsounds by far. MD? Hot water shower is very nice for those cold mornings. As is a heater. I'm not sure how the other brand layouts were. But the Nautique 210 had one under the dash for the driver and one that was a tube that could be pulled to anywhere in the boat. I believe the VLX's have nice floor vents.
    Docking lights are quite amazing. I can't tell you how many times coming back in late to Lake Mead or in Parker area where they have come in handy. Wakeboard tower lights seem to hamper your vision a little bit. Plus they are illegal to run in some lakes.
    Best thing to check is a service record. Make sure the impeller has been changed and is not rotted out. That happened once a year on my prostar.

Good luck in your search. The other option is whether you want a V drive or direct drive. V drive offers more room and better wake. Direct is more maneuverable and easier to maintain.

11. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Thank you Tom. That's all excellent and useful info.

12. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #37 355dreamer, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bought it. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Yeeehaaaa. Congrats!!!

14. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Sweet. Are single axle trailers normal?

15. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Awesome. Congrats.

16. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    About time!

It's the factory trailer, so I'm guessing so.

Thanks!

17. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #42 355dreamer, Aug 15, 2016
  18. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #43 355dreamer, Aug 21, 2016
  19. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #44 355dreamer, Aug 21, 2016
  20. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Just curious, but what's the best place to ski on Deep Creek?

21. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Anywhere but in the middle.