School me on wakeboard boats... | FerrariChat

School me on wakeboard boats...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 355dreamer, Jul 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    So, I'm in the market... Like most of my purchases, this one isn't very logical. We head to deep creek lake in MD a few times a year, but I'd also like something to pull friends behind and maybe putt around in a tube in the Potomac with my friends.

I'd like to try wake surfing as well, so I think I need something that can get pretty heavy.

Budget is 40k or less, and I'd like it to be less than 6-7 years old. I want all that fancy fun stuff, lights, tower, speakers, etc because, well, it looks cool. :)

Any brands to avoid, or must have features? I'd imagine its a buyers market. Any idea how much off asking price you can get from private parties or dealers?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    bass fisherman HATE them! ;)

3. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    More ballast you redneck! ;)

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    watch out for any Alabama Rigs coming at you. :)

actually, they don't bug me too much, the wakes sometimes turn the fish on and they're kinda fun to launch over at 74 mph. of course your wakeboat isn't able to go that fast. ;)

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    2005 or 2006 Mastercraft X10, can do both ski and wake boarding. I bought one new in '05, nice boat and no issues.

Also popular were the Malibu's, but I think the Mastercraft is better built.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    A little over a decade ago, I was looking too. Went to all the boat shops to learn all the differences. Had many friends with various boats. One buddy was a pro who was sponsored by Malibu. Each year, to every other year, he'd be able to buy a boat at cost and flip it to get the next one. Fantastic boats and they were the best at the time. I really dig the Tige boats and their taps system (ballast system at the time). Unsure on quality/value though. But for 40K, I think you can find something pretty good on the used market. If it has a scratch on it, consider that a bonus. You will have more fun that way. That's just my opinion though.

7. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
  8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I've been out of the wakeboard thing for a while, but make sure whatever boat you buy doesn't have any wood in it.

9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Malibu, MasterCraft, Nautica, Supra, and Tiga all make good boats. I bought a Tige RZ4 last year. Looked at all of them and this was the one I liked the best. Mastercraft and Tiga are the largest and most spacious inside. They have the biggest sitting area in the bow. All are good ski/wake boats. Tiga does have some nice bells and whistles to make skiing/surfing/etc much easier. Throws out a very nice wake.

These types of boats handle much different from a standard sterndrive V bottom boat. They don't handle rought water nearly as well. Being inboard and steered via a rudder, they are not very manuveralbe at low speeds.

Must have item would be balast tanks if you want to surf. Also, most newer boats have some form of cruise control - makes life much easier.

BTW, surfing is a blast. Easier than most of the other forms of skiing.

10. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I've got a Sanger V210. Sanger is mostly here on the west coast and is more towards the budget end of the scale. But, I like mine.

11. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    All helpful stuff guys. Thank you.
    For all those who have bought a boat in the last 24 months, what type of discounts were you able to get, new or used?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not sure about discounts, I know with bass boats the retail prices have been going up significantly every year. A few year old bass boat looks like a great deal compared to new retail prices, but keep in mind that boat had a much less retail price when new. use the bluebook for boat prices.

FYI some good boat financing, I went with Bank of America, around 4% for a used boat no money down!

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    FWIW, I've been boarding & surfing for about 12 years now.

A wakeboard boat does not make for a decent ski boat - even at skiing speeds they still have a little wake which skiers hate.

For surfing we typically fill all the ballast tanks on one side (depends which way the props spinning) and the center. This is much easier if the ballast systems are 'integrated' and centrally controlled. The 'pros' often cast their own lead weights to put in the bilge below the tanks.

You absolutely, 100% need a 'Perfect Pass' or similar for surfing as its virtually impossible to hold the right speed otherwise. The latest are GPS based and are awesome!

Surfing is remarkably easy and saves the day in ****ty water. Plus you don't get yer bell rung like you do boarding....

Cheers,
    Ian

14. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Thanks Ian. Helpful stuff. I don't plan on doing any skiing, so I am not looking for flat wakes... Ever.

I'm still interested however if anyone has recently purchased a new or used boat and could provide pricing examples. Asking prices are all over the place.

15. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Super air nautilus team edition 210
    Biggest wake and one of the best built if not best built wakeboard boat.
    Malibu is a close 2nd with the wake setter 21v

16. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    I used to live on a river and boarded almost every day. I owned a 2000 Mastercraft X-Star.

I have been behind just about every boat out there. Mastercraft and Nautique have the best shaped wakes with full ballast and a fat sac up front.

1.Mastercraft
    2.Nautique
    3.Malibu

I am sure things have changed a little, but that was the story 8-10 years ago.

17. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    I wouldn't buy another new boat. The 2000 model year started the whole specialized boat thing, so I didn't have a choice.

Don't hate your money! Look for a boat that has been owned by someone that knows what they are doing and buy one a couple-3 years old.

You'll thank me when you go to sell it and you won't be so concerned about keeping it clean!

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very good! No need to try and find a "jack of all trades."

Indeed. My WAG is all of the manufacturers mentioned here (I'd add Centurion to the list as they're made "local" to me) don't make nearly as many boats per year as Ferrari make V8's. ie, there's simply not the volume available for any kind of "market" to develop.

I'd consider many other factors; Must haves, nice to haves etc. Find one that meets those needs and make an offer.

- Certainly agree on going used, and don't worry about any nicks & scratches - You'll add more and it won't break your heart when you do!
    - How many people will typically be aboard? They all claim to seat many more than will work comfortably for anything other than an hour or so.
    - How/where will you store the thing? A "regular" garage mandates a tower that can be dropped - The newer ones are pretty easy to use.
    - Personally, I really like a built in ice chest. Folk tend to bring their own coolers, and they eat space fast. At the least, a nice big "boat cooler" in a locker that everyone shares and leave the "personals" behind.
    - You can never have enough storage; Life vests, towels, bumpers, ropes ("lines") etc all need homes.
    - You can never have enough beer holders. ;)
    - You can never have enough board racks - There's a huge choice here too - Note that many won't take both a wakeboard & a surfer back to back. Check out how easy they are to (un)load - Some of 'em require the dexterity & climbing ability of a monkey....
    - I'm sure others will have further comments, but pricing & discounts is kind of irrelevant IMO once you've found the right one.

See if you can get out for a ride in a few. Modern boats are all pretty comfortable, but remember you want to ride so will need another driver - Does the seat work for you both etc? Feel free to keep asking Q's - Better now than later....

Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Ian

19. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    We have had 3 Malibu's our latest is a 2010. Ski Natiques demand a premium because of the name. If you look at the quality of boat too boat they are almost identical. We shopped everything when we got our 10 and dollar for dollar a Malibu is the best bang for the buck out there. The newer Wakesetters are the way to go.

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I had a MasterCraft for over 10 years, a 'ProStar 205 with an LT-1 Corvette engine in it - loved it! Hardly any issues over that 10 years.

21. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    You need to consider how big of a boat you want/need. If you would consider 22 feet or less, all of the manufacturer's mentioned have excellent products. All of the newer boats have some type of speed control and all the extras you would want. I needed something a little bigger as we have a large family. That pretty much narrowed my choices down to the MasterCraft or the Tige. I tried both out. Both put out a great wake. I felt that the Tige rode and handled better. I ended up buying the Tige RZ4 and have been very happy with it. It sips gas and has had no issues over the last 2 years. I bought mine in the late fall after the season was over, so I did get a significant discount off the listed price.

22. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Only one choice to consider... Nautique

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    These were the three I boiled it down to after much research about that same time.
    Was going to get a Mastercraft end of year blow out for cost. I usually buy used but check the season end deals. The good boats dont depreciate that much.
    Boat Trader sometimes has pro tour demo boats at some retailers "cheap".

We decided to concentrate on soccer.

24. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    This is how we found our boat, Theres multiple pro demo boats that are still on a MSO and you can save 15-20k.

SKI-IT-AGAIN.COM

25. mmollo

mmollo Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2010
    [x] Texas [ ] Maui
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #25 mmollo, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017