SCG 003 and SCG 003C (formerly known as "P 33") | Page 5 | FerrariChat

SCG 003 and SCG 003C (formerly known as "P 33")

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Napolis, Mar 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. avishar

avishar Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    bangalore,india
    Full Name:
    avishar dutta
    Thats the ultimate man-cave! Which engine is that inside on that engine test bed?

Thank you Jim for this another adventure.IMO i do understand the point of keep sections segregated but that is for the moderators to decide.It eitherways makes no difference anyway,and frankly like someone mentioned where else can we find such detailed behind-the-scenes insight into the designing of a supercar.And that too a car which everyone has been been hoping for,small,lightweight,powerful,stiff chassis and responsive.Excellent!

Jim,Do keep this thread regularly updated and with as much technical details/process that you can.Thanks!

I apologise if you have already mentioned it,but have you decided on an engine or its configuration?V6,V8,flat,inline?Will it be a totally bespoke engine or will you be basing it from an existing block?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The engine in the start stand is the engine that was in J6's sister J5 that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1967.

P 33 will be using a TTV6 making about 450 HP from a major manufacturer that we will adopt and develop.

3. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Napolis I wish you luck with new project. We dont have much people in world that are willing to spent serious money on car that will be one off.

I suspected that you will go after Alfa Romeo styling/naming, since I assume that Ferrari is not option for you anymore. I still think that you should pick some Ferrari model from past, since you are clearly big fan. Shape of your company shield is same as Ferrari`s, and you also have "Scuderia" in your company name (Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus).

Also I have some questions related to new car :)
    - Do you plan to make two cars, or one car that can be converted in race car & back to road car?
    - Have you thought about KERS? You have some nice experience with P4/5 Competizione.
    - Can you tell us who will be responsible for design, American or European studio?

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #104 Napolis, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    The First use of a Single Prancing Horse ( in the 1300's Stuttgart used two Prancing Horses) on a Shield was the City of Stuttgart in 1433 who have used a single Prancing Horse continuously since then. As Porsche's are built in Stuttgart that's why Porsche uses a Prancing Horse on their shields and have used a Prancing Horse on their Shields long before Ferrari existed. The shape of the shield we picked was used long before that and the use of "Scuderia" to describe Knights who fought under Scuderia Shields goes back to the middle ages so your point eludes me.

P 33 will be a road car. It will be able to be converted to a race car and back again should we wish to take it racing.

As we will design, engineer and build P 33 and the car will be badged under our name we won't be "going after" anyone. P 33 will be a bit like my friend's "New Stratos" in that regard.

We operate both in Europe and the US.

It will not have KERS but may have DRS.

5. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Any other specs on the engine? I'm guessing displacement around 3.0L or slightly less? I'm just comparing to a 3.8L Nissan GTR engine that puts out 545 HP in stock trim so I figure it will likely not be as large as that?

I sincerely wish you all the best with this project. I have long been wishing for a manufacturer to go away from the bigger, heavier, more power formula that everyone has been following for the past few years.

Since it is just a one-off car, will it have to meet all the safety regulations such as mandatory airbags, stability control, side-impact protection, etc...? If so, that will be some feat to get it to weigh 1600 lbs! I hope you can do it and maybe other car manufacturers can learn a thing or two from your company and pass along the weight savings to us in a future car that we can buy.

Thanks again for sharing!

6. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Cool project Jim, and its good to hear that you are going lightweight with adequate power. I will be even more impressive if you can give it a manual box, unassisted steering and a very high revving NA engine.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that a link up with F1 turbo tech from 2014 might be on the cards, does that mean you are thinking of going with a 1.6 V6?

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We're looking at a number of engine options. Not yet sure.

Same with gearbox.

We have two different CF tubs we're looking at.

8. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Visual identity is tricky thing :) I am sure you know very well how Ferrari shield was created since you (was) very big Ferrari fan. You have great thread here on forum where is described how well formed Ferrari logo & shield is. Also word Scuderia is used in many forms, but in automotive industry its pretty known in form "Scuderia Ferrari" (your company is Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus). Also I would like (if its not secret) where is your company registered (regarding flag colors). Stuttgart & Knights dont have much in common with Ferrari & your logos, but Ferrari visual identity & yours have a lot details in common:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2j6a4c7.jpg

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Milanno, Milanno, Milanno . . . er, Milano . . .

Scuderia = "stable" in Italiano

Scuderia Ambrosiana
    Scuderia Bizzarrini
    Scuderia Centro Sud
    Scuderia Coloni
    Scuderia Enrico Plate
    Scuderia Ferrari
    Scuderia Filipinetti
    Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus
    Scuderia Italia
    Scuderia La Fortuna
    Scuderia Lavaggi
    Scuderia Milano
    Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus
    Scuderia Serenissima
    Scuderia Toro Rosso
    Scuderia Veloce
    Scuderia Volpini
    . . .

10. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Wax you missed the point. I am very well informed what Scuderia means, why Ferrari is using it & why is horse used as Ferrari logo. There is strong reason why teams call themselves Scuderia "xyz" (Italy). Most known is Scuderia Ferrari. Now try to connect that logic to Napolis company. However I appreciate your effort :)

There is one nice Latin phrase: Si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more.

11. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    That alfa tipo 33 and 8c comparison is wild! I thought the 8c looked tiny, here it practically looks like a hummer!

Regarding carbon tubs, the current options are Ferrari LaFerrari (doubtful unless Luca has made a major turnaround), BMW i8 (doubtful), McLaren (is it small enough?), Lamborghini Aventador(too big and Jim doesn't seem to be a lambo fan), Lamborghini sesto elemento, Lamborghini gallardo successor, Audi R8 successor, alfa 4c. Did I leave anyone out?

12. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    I vote for this :)

13. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah me too, that's the car that inspired my whole post. The overall car looks a little too short though, making for potentially twitchy handling.

Can a car use the tub from this short car and then have a wider track and longer wheelbase or is the tub designed in such a specific way that modifying dimensions just won't work? I would imagine that modifying the platform's dimensions to a certain degree would change how stress is applied to the tub and might redirect it in a way the tub wasn't designed to cope with.

Also, can carbon tubs be modified (new windshield shape, etc) or is that such a huge feat that you might as well engineer a new tub from the ground up?

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You can modify a carbon tub for windshield shape for example. We did it to the Enzo tub.

You can change the wheelbase of a carbon tub by modifying subframes that attach to it. FS who's now Head of Design for McLaren did this with the Enzo Tub for the MC 12.

15. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely be following this project. I am looking to start a car company myself eventually, very few cars really get me going these days. It looks like you are going the right direction though.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    TT V6 you say. Where might said V6 be coming from, I suspect somewhere near Viale Ciro Menotti....... excellent :D

17. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If it is related to a 4c chassis, I'd gladly wager it will be based loosely on the idea of the 4c chassis only, probably borrowing ideas from it and other carbon fiber tub chassis such as that of those Mclaren are making so well these days. Maserati will be making a car from the Alfa but I'm guessing it will be massively different than what Alfa start with as well.

Maserati sounds like they're going to be doing a good bit of this sort of Lee Iacocca chassis sharing stuff as the Maser SUV will be a modified Jeep chassis and I believe the new QP has something to do with the Chrysler 300 chassis, or vice versa.

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Scuderia Enrico Plate . . . Swiss
    Scuderia Filipinetti . . . Swiss
    Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus . . . United Statian
    Scuderia Veloce . . . Australian
    Scuderia Toro Rosso . . . . [Red Bull Junior Team] ownership is Austrian

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i can tell you what i saw at the geneva car show, and that might give some clues.
    - the 'new' lancia thema, is in fact a chrysler 300 (which was a mercedes e class 300 of 15 years ago or so lest we forget)
    - if the 'new' fiat freemont is any indication of the company's plans, then the maser suv will definitely be using everything they can off of the jeep cherokee.
    - the new qp has nothing to do with the chrysler as far as i could tell since it has the same outside dimensions as the old qp, they just gave it a poor facelift.
    - the new qp with 4 wheel drive option runs a tt v6 that puts out 450bhp - which is why it is my favorite candidate for jim's project.
    - the alfa 4c is small. my guess is that you cannot squeeze that maser v6 into it as is. think lotus elise size. can the chassis be extended to accommodate it? maybe - only jim would know.

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #120 JeremyJon, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. scorpio5

scorpio5 Karting

Nov 30, 2007
    Great car! That and the 910 are so pure and beautiful yet overlooked.

22. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looking forward to following another awesome endeavor de Napolis.

23. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    #123 Milanno, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    And again, you missed the point :)

Scuderia Enrico Plate . . . Swiss (owner born in Italy)
    Scuderia Filipinetti . . . Swiss (family originally from SanMarino)
    Scuderia Toro Rosso . . . . (based in Faenza, Italy)
    vs.
    Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus . . . United States (unknown connection with Italy)
    Scuderia Veloce . . . Australian (unknown connection with Italy)

As you can see there is strong reason why some teams use "Scuderia". And some teams just slapped "Scuderia" in their naming (some of them gone little further & used Ferrari`s visual identity as their own). I am sure they look pretty funny to Italian teams when they see "Scuderia XYZ" from USA/AUS...

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That is a beautiful one for sure and the shape of the nose does go to the shape of a wing.

25. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    A.R. 4C carbon tub might do the job when using an Italian made one
    Deltawing uses a U.K. Lola tub.
    ATR, Dallara and E.R.F. might have some nice small tubs as well

Nice project. Maybe Rob should make a new thread.