SCG 003 and SCG 003C (formerly known as "P 33") | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SCG 003 and SCG 003C (formerly known as "P 33")

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Napolis, Mar 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    This should be fun :)

2. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Very interesting, but how's it related to Ferrari or 288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari? Should this discussion be moved to a general or off-topic forum?

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    #28 crinoid, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    That must hint to something.

5. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Great to hear about your next project. Thanks for sharing!

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    The start of another behind the scenes adventure ! I am very excited to follow this build, and as always, thanks for including us in the journey Jim !

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari P 4/5 by pininfarina wasn't designed, engineered or built in house by Ferrari and it's in this section.

8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well this will certainly be a thread to follow. What a wonderful opportunity you have and thanks for sharing the gestation with us. Exciting is an understatement given your track record so far!

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #34 Napolis, Mar 15, 2013
    That's a great one for sure. The interesting thing we're exploring is aero. The first road study PF did for Ferrari Dino Competizione was a two wing car. When we put that one in the wind tunnel we learned a lot. Basically it had the Cx of a small truck. It's rear wing was so overpowering that if you cranked any in the nose lifted off the ground. If you cranked in any front wing the air no longer flowed into the radiator and the car over heated.

When we developed Ferrari P 4/5 by pininfarina we put our donor Enzo into the wind tunnel. We also learned a lot such as the Enzo had way to much inlet and way to little outlet. La Ferrari vs P1 is designed to produce downforce without a huge wing. I think it makes La Ferrari much more classically beautiful not to have a large wing and we're going this route as well but unlike La Ferrari we'll incorporate three wings, nose, roof and rear into the overall shape of the car. These shapes will be wings with air flow on both sides.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Sounds like that should be moved to a new forum also so we come here to get Ferrari supercar stuff and go to the "Jim G" forum for P 4/5 and P 33 stuff. Or maybe a new P 4/5 and P 33 forum?

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Perhaps you should write Luca and tell him to take Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina out of Ferrari's officially sanctioned books about Ferrari Supercars as well.

12. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I guess this is a question for the FerrariChat owners. As you point out, P 4/5 has nothing to do with Ferrari, other than using many Enzo parts. What's wrong with having these Model Specific Discussions?

288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari
    P 4/5
    P 33

or, if we're grandfathered in...

288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/P45/LaFerrari
    P 33

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill

Luca decided P 4/5 would become an official Ferrari Supercar Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina and I agreed.

That horse let that barn many years ago.

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    What about a section for all modern special projects... such as the ones by JG,as well as PK, EC, etc

15. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

And people on here criticize ME for splitting hairs.

"P 4/5 has nothing to do with Ferrari, other than using many Enzo parts."

To which I reply . . . "other than THAT, how did you enjoy the theater, Mrs. Lincoln?"

16. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    This thread belongs here, because at least until 2020 or so when Ferrari debuts their brand new "LaDino" model that bears a striking resemblance to P33 there isn't a better place for it ;)

17. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Smaller, lighter, simpler: music to my ears. A modern take on T33 would also be lovely.

Are you considering an open top i.e. targa style? If so, this configuration gets close to my ideal fun, street car. Speaking of which, I appreciate race provenance/history even in street cars, which is what you did with P4/5. Will you have plans to do the same on this P33, assuming there's a venue for it?

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #43 El Wayne, Mar 15, 2013
    Call it what you like, but P4/5 is basically a rebodied and highly modified Ferrari Enzo. I personally saw and inspected the brand-spanking-new Enzo (still wrapped in plastic) before it was shipped off to PF for the transformation. "Using many Enzo parts" is a monumental mischaracterization of the car in my opinion.

We don't know what P33 will be, but I'm sure Jim started the thread here for a reason. Let's all just enjoy the ride for a little while. If it turns out otherwise, we can always move the thread to the appropriate forum.

19. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Sounds good to me!

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I have suggested this as well.

21. scorpio5

scorpio5 Karting

Nov 30, 2007
    This project sounds mouth-watering. I hope it turns out to be beautiful to look at. Aesthetically, the current crop of supercars leaves a lot to be desired. Even the name 'P-33' sounds good. It has to be beautiful.

22. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    BTW, does Jim's comment below contradict a "rebodied and highly modified Ferrari Enzo" ?

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As you know I really like the idea of road cars that can easily be turned into race cars. The 60's were magical times for that. Corvette, E Types. Aston's, MG's, Triumphs, Many Ferrari's, Lotus, etc. etc. were easy to transition from road to race. As years went by it became a lot harder for many reasons and it's a massive effort to build a road and race legal car today such as P 4/5 C. Porsche does it with their GT3 and Ferrari's 458 are certainly derived from road cars but can't really be turned back to road legal cars.

The Experimental Hybrid series we race in would allow a P1/La Ferrari/918 to race in but in all fairness the dollars required vs taping the headlights and putting a bit more air in the tires is huge. Running the 24 Hours of Nurburgring in P 4/5 C including development cost around 2MM euros. Racing a P1, La Ferrari, or a 918 would be very expensive and so far no one has indicated any interest to race one. If they do we will defend our Title.

You could race a 458 GTC at Le Mans for much less as it good to go as delivered.

Because of our History of bringing fans to watch us race there are probably venues that would let us race P 33 but it's too early to say. We're also hopeful that we may continue racing with another new prototype in GA/ALMS in 2014. If we do that will likely be a factory effort.

As for a spyder I do love them but the design we're leaning towards works better as a coupe for aero reasons.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nope. Of course we used as a platform and highly modified a Ferrari Enzo Ferrari but none of the over 200 uniquely engineered systems or any of the design or building of P 4/5 were done by Ferrari "in House".

P 4/5 became Ferrari P 4/5 by pininfarina after it was locked when Luca first saw it and decided that it should be an official Ferrari. I think it's fair to say that not many cars designed, engineered and built not "In House by Ferrari" have become official Ferraris.

When Luca first saw P 4/5 it wasn't badged as a Ferrari. Only after he decided that it was a Ferrari was it so badged.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)