Scenic routes going from Toronto to Niagara? | FerrariChat

Scenic routes going from Toronto to Niagara?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by t_bp, May 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. t_bp

t_bp Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto/Germany
    Hey guys, I was just trying to think of someone to ask about some good scenic routes to drive from Toronto to Niagara, and I figured this might just be the best place to ask :)

A couple good friends from Europe are coming to visit me in Toronto next weekend, and like most tourists who have never been to North America before, they really want to see Niagara Falls. I'd like to show them more than just the view from the highway on our drive there, if possible, but the problem is i'm totally unfamiliar with the area south of the GTA.

Are there any nice smaller highways that show off some cool features of the region (if there are any... i don't even know) that will get me to the same destination? I don't want to go too far out of the way, but adding another hour to our journey for the sake of making it more interesting for them would be worth it.

Thanks!

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #2 ryalex, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
    Take the QEW to St. Catharines, then North on Lakeshore Rd. through to Niagara-on-the-Lake then down Niagara Pkwy to the Falls. That or take the 55 to Niagara-on-the-Lake and then down.

There's not much to see West of St. Catharines (or in the city itself), but the drive around NotL is nice and the parkway can be nice. I also recommend a 1-2hr hike down the Niagara Glen trails to the river. http://www.infoniagara.com/recreation/index.html

The "must do" is obviously the Maid of the Mist.

3. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Along the way, the drive along Lakeshore Road in Oakville and Burlington is very nice.

Ryan is correct, the drive along the Niagara Parkway is also nice and, in my view, the only way to get to the Falls.

I think Highway 3 runs parallel with the QEW through Niagara (double-check this), and it's also a scenic drive that won't add hours to your time. You'll pass by a number of vineyards, etc.

Best,

Neil

4. eholody

eholody Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Montreal, Quebec
  5. t_bp

t_bp Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto/Germany
    Awesome, thanks for the tips!

I've mapped the following route, based off your suggestions:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Islington%2FQueensway,+Etobicoke,+ON&daddr=Lakeshore+Rd+E+to:Lakeshore+Rd+W+to:Lakeshore+Rd+to:43.195791,-79.277258+to:Lakeshore+Rd+to:Lakeshore+Rd+to:Mary+St+to:Mississagua+St+to:Niagara+Falls,+ON&hl=en&geocode=%3BFSDxlgIdal9A-w%3BFf42lgIdMsU_-w%3BFViDlQIdTAc_-w%3B%3BFXZbkwIdyhBH-w%3BFQeskwIdwAJI-w%3BFf78kwId8kZJ-w%3BFXwRlAIdJ1pJ-w%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=4&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&sll=43.183463,-79.274511&sspn=0.03511,0.090981&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=43.371116,-79.262238&spn=0.560027,1.455688&z=10

Hopefully that link works for you guys. Basically it's just business as usual until I reach Oakville, then i'll get off the highway at Trafalgar and take Lakeshore until I meet up with the QEW again in Burlington. Staying on the QEW until St. Catharines, where I'll then head north to take Lakeshore Rd. to Niagara on the Lake, then the Parkway down to the Falls.

Any other recommendations or changes I should make? Please feel free to alter the route on google if you think i've missed anything...

6. eholody

eholody Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Montreal, Quebec
    #6 eholody, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    That route looks quite good! I just might suggest getting off the QEW a little earlier (say grimbsy/beamsville)King st is right along the escarpment and is quite picturesque. Then, head along lakeshore (again, after Port Dahlousie in St. Catharines it's not that interesting x10min, but it's appealing after the Welland Canal)

Also, you may wish to allot an hour or two in old Niagara on the Lake (colonial capital of Upper Canada)- or more if you wish to visit wineries.

Leave well before noon on weekends... traffic will be challenging this time of year on the QEW (but not so frustrating on the backroads)

7. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    May I suggest you leave the QEW before you get to Trafalgar in Oakville?

Better to get off at Winston Churchill and go south to Lakeshore from there. The houses on Lakeshore between there and Trafalgar (which you would otherwise miss) are quite spectacular, and there are lots of little side streets, very small ones, that run south from Lakeshore to Lake Ontario, where the homes are even more striking.

Best,

Neil

8. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#8 b-mak, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Ah, no, forget Oakville and Burlington. Get to Fifty Road, go south to Highway 8. Take 8 though wine country to St. Catharines, then shoot over to Lakeshore and cruise into Niagara-On-The-Lake from there. Take the Niagara Parkway if you're heading to Niagara Falls.

PM me if wine is of interest and I'll be pleased to send you to the wineries that will impress your guests.

Forgot to mention that I grew up in Niagara and I'm there often.

9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The Pillar and Post is a little restaurant in Niagara-on-the-lake which has hosted Queen Elizabeth II.

Funny enough, one of my favorites in Niagara Falls is The Happy Wanderer, which is an 'authentic' German restaurant owned by an immigrant family. But I'm not sure Germans would be as interested! (I've spent a few summers there in Germany though, and this food is very close).

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Ryan, when was the last time you visited? There are so many better places.

The Happy Wanderer > Pillar and Post

11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Visited? 2006 I think. But I usually eat with family and at the Rex. Maybe the Blue Star if I missing Welland South cuisine.

12. t_bp

t_bp Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto/Germany
    Thanks for all your input, guys. We did the drive on Friday afternoon and I ended up taking b-mak's advice to take Highway 8 from Fifty Rd. to St. Catharines, then up through Niagara on the Lake. Stopped to eat on a patio with a good view for lunch along the way. Unfortunately we didn't have time to tour a winery, but we did take the Maid of the Mist boat ride which really impressed my guests.

I liked the role of playing tour guide... I got to see a lot of cool things over the weekend that I've surprisingly never seen even after living here for most of my life (including going up the CN Tower). I guess it's easy to take the local attractions forgranted sometimes...

13. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Good stuff, glad it worked out.

14. sovereign

sovereign Karting

Aug 25, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Michael K
    I've never been to the CN Tower either.

I've heard mixed reviews from people that have gone, but never actually been there myself.