SC kit for 308/328/Mondial | FerrariChat

SC kit for 308/328/Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Carl Fausett, Oct 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carl Fausett

Carl Fausett Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Fausett
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I was invited to get involved in a SC kit for the Ferrari 308/Mondial line because of our experience supercharging multiple fuel systems on Porsches.

Some of our current kit offerings, and installation videos, photos and dyno charts can be seen here: www.928Superchargers.com

The 308/Mondial is using the Bosch KE-Jetronic Fuel System, a system we are
    intimately familiar with and have supercharged and fueled before.

I have a beautiful Mondial 2V in our shop now, and we are developing the SC install for it specifically as a repeatable kit.

One challenge we have encountered in the design of a "kit" for this application is that almost all the 308/Mondial's equipped with 2v motors and about 1/2 of the 4v motors are equipped with 2-belt systems for running the auxiliaries (the AC, water pump, alternator).

This 2-belt system had frequent failures because of the common water pump/alternator belt, (it was too small to drive both items), and it squealed a lot, slipped a lot, and failed a lot.

On the later 4v motors, Ferrari fixed this by introducing a 3rd belt sheave on the crank pulley, and each auxiliary could have its own belt. Problem solved. This is also a popular update to early 308/Mondial owners - to upgrade to the later 3-belt crank pulley, and tensioner.

To us - designing a kit for the Ferrari - it means that not all 308 platform cars are the same... some have a 2-belt sheeve on their harmonic damper and same have a 3 - and this affects the length of our crankshaft pulley and supercharger mounts.

At first, we thought we would simply design for the 3-belt system, and if an owner had a 2-belt setup on his 308/Mondial, we would require that he upgrade to the 3-belt system as part of the supercharger kit installation.

Problem came in the rarity of the parts - they are pretty hard to find.

So.... we have re-designed and succeeded in developing a supercharger mock-up now that will work on both cars, those with 2-belt and those with 3-belt systems. We will have to stock 2 different crankshaft pulleys to get this done, but we found that (so far) we can keep your cam belt covers in place and mounted, and we have found a way around ordering up custom (read expensive) harmonic balancers.

More news as it develops.

Carl Fausett
    928 Motorsports
    (920)485-0488
    www.928Motorsports.com

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Carl,

i assume this is the same system discussed on Fchat earlier and that Nick Forza is working with per se? The car here is a Euro 85 QV and looking very much forward to this kit. Am awaiting price as already have uprated cooling and XDI ignition system... and removed AC system so that is out of the way.

3. Carl Fausett

Carl Fausett Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Fausett
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I looked at the Nick Forza harmonic dampers and they seem like a quality product. The price is reasonable too - but the availability is a little off, the current wait is about 3 months to get one.

...and then there is always the question whether it is truely compatable with the harmonics of the crankshaft, only years and miles can tell....

So, we have been working on a way to continue to use the factory harmonic damper in our SC kit - then there are no compatability issues, and cost comes down. Speed of the install also goes up as you are not hunting or waiting for parts. So far, the design is working nicely and we have not found a reason why it will not work.

There are other differences in our design compared to some of the very nice amateur installations I have seen put up by individual owners.

We have selected a supercharger head unit that we feel may be more aprropriately sized for the CFM needed and the redline on this motor. Also,
    when we expect to run non-intercooled, I favor superchargers that do not require oil lines from the motor to feed them.

They tend to run about 70 degrees cooler charge air to the motor than oil-fed superchargers, and that helps. Plus - owing to the fact there are no oil lines to run to/from the motor, the installation is again a little simpler for the do-it-yourselfer.

Just some thoughts - you asked how our design was "different" and I have these items to point out. Really impressed by the few photos I have seen of the owners that built their own, they did a nice job.

Carl Fausett
    928 Motorsports
    www.928Motorsports.com

4. Carl Fausett

Carl Fausett Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Fausett
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Oh by the way - keeping the air conditioning in place has been one of our design objectives - we plan on it staying right where it is.

Carl

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Steven, this is a different kit from the one that smg2 has been working on with Nick.

6. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Ahhh ok. Yeah, just realized we have competition. This is great news for 308 owners as the market is about to open wide with SC choices :)

Oh man, 2007 looks to be a fun year for tracking my modded 308 :)''''

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Moderator note: It's ok to keep the forum informed regarding your development efforts, but per the FChat rules please don't make it a sales pitch it here unless you become a sponsor -- and please don't put a signature line with your website on every post.

But in any case, there are a LOT of us interested in supercharging our 308s, especially the QVs, so welcome!!

8. Carl Fausett

Carl Fausett Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Fausett
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Completely understood and acceptable. No problem.

Carl

9. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Hey Carl,

This sounds great. I would be interested too, as long as the stock tranny can handle it. :)

10. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    From the other projects underway, the weak point isn't the transmission, it's the clutch. The stock clutch starts to slip under heavy load at about 380 hp at the wheels. Smg2 and Mke have both exceeded the clutch's limit at about the same horsepower and recommend upgrading the clutch. That's more than a 75% increase in horspower over stock.
    Thor

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    380 rwhp is about a 100% increase....a stock QV will dyno about 195ish. I had 300rwhp with a kelvar disc and a 20% heavier pressure plate and never had a problem. At 360+ rwhp (I hadn't been on the dyno, and still had some tuning to do), that clutch was totaly fried after about 15 minutes. I think at 300rwhp I was at about the safe limit for that set-up, maybe 325, but no more. With a stock clutch I expect problems to start in the 250-300rwhp range.

Norwood can do a single disc kevlar set-up for any hp for something like $800. Nick has a pretty nice looking twin disc set-up that would have less pedal pressure, but it runs closer to $3k last I heard. I think Nick also has a carbon-carbon version of that now, he didn't when I did mine. I went with a tilton triple disc carbon-carbon, it's really nice, good to 800 ft-lbs torque, pretty smooth with a honda civic light pedal, but $3400 for just the clutch, then the flywheel had to be machined to install it, or about $5k for a complete set-up wiht a new flywheel.

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Mark - is that what you had, or did you have a different kevlar setup?

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I bought mine from Italian Design. I think it was a 365 presure plate to get the extra 20% spring force and a kevlar disc made by I don't know who. It was about the same price, I had been dealing with Butch for a lot of other stuff and just went with him on the clutch....I guess he sold the bussiness now, I got someone else the last time I called.

I know Paul (turboQV) has the norwood set-up on his 400-450 hp (I don't recall) turbo QV and is happy with it.

When mine failed I guess it was my fault. I decided to turn around, so I swung around at a side street, but couldn't pul right back out because of traffic. When there was a little break in traffic, I pulled out briskly....but I had not shifted into 1st, I was still in 3rd. The thing has so much torque now I honestly didn't even notice the wrong gear until I realized I was up to 65 and hadn't had to shift. The clutch slipped the next time I got on the power hard. Kevlar is appearently very sensative to getting hot, you have to be very careful bedding in the new clutch, I must have glazed the flywheel/pressure plate pulling out and it was scrap after that.....or maybe it just finished off a clutch that was already on the edge. I had about 15,000 pretty hard miles (my auotX starts consisted of winding up the engine to 4000-4500, depending on the corse, and then dumping clutch while slamming the gas pedal to the floor) on it with the 300 rwhp engine. Either way, it was dead.

14. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    #14 Javelin276, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Carl was messing with his Porsche 928 race car on the dyno to see if he could find the upper limits of the Bosch CIS, and he shared his graphs with me. It's the same CIS system we have on our cars, but a different WUR. This should answer a few questions people have about how far you can go without replacing the FI system. Here's the text from his email...

The graphs got added in reverse order, which should be evident looking at the A/F ratios. The Carl2.73pulley.bmp is first, then the Carl2.93pulley.bmp is next. Sorry about that.
    Thor

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Spent 4 hours at the Dyno today – made many adjustments, changed pulleys, tweaked settings and picked up almost 50 HP more than I had 1 week ago at the Autobahn event.

DISCLAIMER: please remember that these results are not from any of the regular kits we sell. This 928 and I are “off the page” and experimenting with strange things that no one in their right mind would repeat. ;-)

Two dyno charts attached – the ones labeled “Carl2.73 pulley” were made using a 2.73” pulley on the XB-1a Gear-driven 1200 CFM blower I am using on this car. The dyno pulls from the 2.93” pulley (larger pulley produces less boost) are on the other chart.

General Setup: DynoJet brand dyno with only SAE correction on. Smoothing set to 2; with smoothing off the numbers were all higher by 1 HP or so, but this is easier to read. “Smoothing” averages the peaks and valleys and the posted figure is a little lower as a result. Boost was measured at two locations – right at the outlet of the intercooler just before the motor, and in the central intake plenum (after the throttle body).

Comments about Carl2.93pulley.bmp:

AT TIRE: 380hp, 392 ft lbs torque

AT ENGINE: 437 HP, 451 ft lbs torque

This pulley on this blower produced 8 psi at the intercooler exit, and 6 psi in the center plenum.

We discovered that we could fuel to a12.5:1 A/F ratio all the way to 6200 RPM.

The HP peak was back at 5500 RPM, and the peak torque was at about 4750 RPM.

You will notice the A/F ratio is very rich at speeds under 4300 RPM – but that gave us the nice flat A/F ratios from 4500 to 6000 RPM. When we tuned it for the bottom end, we lost fuel at the top.

This suggests its time to change the taper in the CIS air-flow venturi, or change air-flow shoe altogether to one with a steeper wall. Frankly, even as rich as it was under 4300RPM, it ran just fine down there and would still be street-able.

Comments about Carl2.73pulley.bmp:

AT TIRE: 406hp, 419 ft lbs torque

AT ENGINE: 467 HP, 482 ft lbs torque

As expected, the smaller SC pulley produced more boost – but the CIS system ran out of fuel at the top end.

This pulley on this blower produced 10 psi at the intercooler exit, and 8 psi in the center plenum, consistent with the 2 psi drop in pressure going thru the intake shoe as with the other pulley.

We tried every trick in the book to get more fuel thru the injectors at the top end and just could not get ‘er done – and came away with the feeling that we may have found the ceiling for how much a CIS mechanical injector can spray.

We were able to confirm that fuel delivery was not a problem – we had the fuel at the motor – we just could not get the mechanical injectors to take anymore.

The mechanical injectors for this system come in only one model and size – there is no “bigger injector” to move to. There is a CIS injector that Mercedes Benz used for their 420 HP CIS installs, but it is shorter and when installed in our manifolds it is severely shrouded (BTDT).

Frankly, I can take one step back to the larger pulley that produces a little less boost, fuel to 6200 RPM, and go racing at 437 HP 451 ft Lbs Torque and be competitive.

Hope you find all this interesting….

I have a little 6Mb video of the car on the dyno I can email you - if you would like to see it just let me know.

Carl Fausett
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Carl,

Most impressive data and thanks for taking the time to find the limits. Like how you mentioned tracking the car. Looks like there will be two competeing SC systems and my concern is keeping the car's bits in a safe zone as it were. Last thing i want is to blow up my engine or an unreliable system. This is why i decided a Norwood Turbo was out of the question (well, that and Turbo can have a nasty curve IMHO).

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    point though, the ferrari and the porsche do not share any of the same components. i have the bosch book which bears this out. about the only similarity would be the 'CIS' layout. not that this would be a hinderence for carl in the least. just a FYI on the CIS system. the ferrari shares more with the mercedes in terms of cis parts. injectors too ;)

bosch also changed the funnel the early basic cis had a taylord funnel to specific engines where as the later lambda versions used a conical funnel.

i haven't run into a lean problem yet but a rich one.

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    ummm, it looks like both graphs are quite lean and detonating, the top graph severly and on the verge of exploding. They may be just a touch past the limit :)

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Very interested!

19. Carl Fausett

Carl Fausett Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Fausett
    Full Name:
    Carl
    A couple answers to a couple questions:

enjoythemusic: yes, you are exactly correct - when developing a SC solution for a street-driven vehicle, safety of the motor and reliability of the system are top concerns. What our test mule CIS car provides us is the ability to find the dusty corners fo the system and see if we can push them out a bit further. This work is neccesary if we are to be able to say "6 psi is safe on your car"... how would we know that unless we also have learned what is NOT safe? Its expensive, and it makes a lot of work for us, but we have blown a few head gaskets, and cracked a piston, and other fun repairs so our customers will not have to.

Clutch: yes - in my experience the next "weak link" is usually the clutch. You do not want to remove all "soft links" though. I've seen this progression played out a number of times: the SC Porsche owner tightens up the clutch, and now has wheel spin. Then adds big beefy rear tires, and now he tears up transaxle teeth. What ever is the weakest link in the chain will break first.

In our street kits we like fairly soft boost numbers, 5 or 6 psi, stay under the clutches limits, have fun and do not break anything. Generally speaking - if you are producing power that your clutch can handle - then you are also under the design limits of everything else after the clutch too, and will do no harm. Remamber the manufacturer designed the clutch to be the slip joint in the system to prevent damage to more expensive parts....

All: general rules of thumb:

> when properly fueled, you should normally see 20 to 25 HP for each pound of boost added to the Ott-cycle motor. Variables include volumetric efficiency of the heads, the temperature of the charged air, efficiency of the injectors, and much more. But it's a good rule of thumb.

> generally speaking, you can expect about 50% more HP after SCing than you have at present. This rule of thumb is slightly conservative, I routinely get 55 to 58% increases with our kits. I like this % system, because if the engine is in poor condition, it will get a lower increase as it should compared to an engine in better mechanical condition.

> before-and-after dyno charts are crucial to this process. If you do not have or see the "before" chart for that engine/car, you do not know what he has gained by installing a SC.

> air/fuel charts are important. A dyno chart posted without air/fuel ratios is almost meaningless - as safety of the motor is so important - we must ensure it never runs lean, and never so rich as to not pass emmissions.

Hope thus helps...

Carl

20. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    I am very glad people are finally developing an SC for the 308's. As a matter of interest to the uneducated how does an increase of 50% or more HP and TQ alter the 0-60 0-100 and 1/4 times etc.

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    not sure but i managed more than 50% something around 75%. power to weight on the mondial went like this:

stock; 3500lb/205~235hp = 17.0~14.9lb per 1HP

SC; 3500lb/404hp = 8.6lb per 1HP

it would be the equivalent of stripping the car down to 2000lbs with the stock engine. i think it should have quite the effect. it moves soo much better now, however the stock clutch is getting toasted so i have to take it easy until i get the replacement. so drag light launches are out, i'll roll on and do passing runs and it's quick!

22. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    Thanks for this. I notice some magazines are now quoted power to weight ratios. It would be great if a 308 could have similar performance to a 355 etc.

23. Carl Fausett

Carl Fausett Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Fausett
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Just a couple notes for the faithful:

The inner supercharger brackets are finished and powder-coated in baked enamel Ferrari red. We were able to design so they fit the 308 2v, 4v and 328 whether or not they engine has the 2-belt auxilary system or the 3-belt system.

The air intake, the supercharger mounts, the WUR location, and the fuel lines are all finished also. As part of our kit, we are changing out the black plastic fuel supply and return lines that go from the RR fender to/from the CIS unit into nice -6 AN stainless steel braided hose.

I am only waiting on our crankshaft pulley to arrive now from our machinist.
    It is our 3rd iteration - we CNC machined iti from a single 6061 T6 billet, then we also send it out to be anodized hard-coated. In this last design session, we figured out how to key it to the crankshaft for the torque load - otherwise you are just relying on the clamping force alone to keep it from unscrewing.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can, and of course, the before-and-after dyno charts.

Thank you for your interest.

Carl

24. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Carl -- does the Mondial you're doing have stock distributors, or has it been upgraded to a direct-fire ignition like the Electromotive XDI?

25. Carl Fausett

Carl Fausett Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Fausett
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Stock distributors. I do not expect it to be a problem at these boost levels.
    Supercharger quench of ignition spark is something we start to see above 15 psi of boost - not at these levels.

Carl