Saying goodbye to Ferrari | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Saying goodbye to Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by czlandi, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Perhaps more in the spirit than in the letter of your list, but I'd say a 997.2 911 C2S.

EnzoItaly and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't get the point of the OP. Everything posted negative about the 812 was well known before its introduction. It was in fact its selling features. In this respect Ferrari has not changed but more like the OP has. Buy a comparatively small, light, cheap, slow car if that's what your driving habits and road conditions dictate.

3. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    If you like the mechanical feeling... I’d certainly prefer a 993 above a Boxster.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  4. Bartleby7344

Bartleby7344 Rookie

Apr 23, 2019
    2015/16 Boxster GTS manual is the sweet spot. 330hp, not too heavy, perfect balance, choice of suspension modes.
    Only negative (for me) is the programmed exhaust overrun pops and bangs... purely for ‘drama’. Some like that.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Alfa 4C- ticks all your boxes and will only get rarer as it’s no longer in production- a bit stiff suspension for your B roads but with a carbon tub and relatively easy to fix mechanicals should hold up well in the long term

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    You’ve got 20 years left? That’s good to know!

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i had similar thoughts a while back (and luckily before i bought anything like an 812 :) )

here are my suggestions....
    ferrari 430. it is the last red blooded ferrari with a nice design, easy enough to drive and maintain, and if something untoward happens, you will not care.
    new nsx. it is very modern tech, very well made, very good handling, powerful enough, anonymous, and once again, if somebody kills it, you shrug and walk away.

8. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ferrari Daytona.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cement truck?

10. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Better top...I like our weird red hooks on the back of the car! The somewhat skunkworks feeling of the car is endearing. Also, I’ve learned that rain isn’t a problem if I stay above 40 mph.

11. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I went to an "18 Boxster S after the F430. If there was a 4 wheeled motorcycle this car has to be close. But alas it just didn't have the "muscles" I was used to so I wound up with a '17 911 GTS. It out drives the 430 in most ways and you don't cringe that'll cost you a few thousand dollars every time you start it. I do still miss the sound of a Ferrari though.

anunakki and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  12. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    TVR Sagaris, T350, Cerbera, Tuscan, or even a Griffith or Chimera

None of them come with ABS, though, so you have to be careful in the wet. There are aftermarket traction control systems you can fit for something like 1000 quid.

Other than TVR, the only marque that delivers is Aston or Porsche, but on the Porsche side, nothing is exciting till you spend more than your budget.

You can always keep the 812 and get rid of your neuroses. Keying? Widow maker? Seriously? Learn to drive, and learn not to be paranoid.

jag-oo-r and ginoBBi512 like this.
  13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have never driven a front mounted V12, Ferrari or other. My experience with my 328 has been, no matter what speed Im motoring. the car feels great, so for me, the fun factor, and driver involvement are very satisfying , which makes it such a fantastic drivers car. I would have to think, that the 812 , being that it is a V12, with 850 HP, would be a lot of fun to drive at slower speeds, in whatever gear you select to have the car revving in such a way that the motor would scream out to you " isnt this a blast? " The sound has to be insane ! I know because I heard one ripping down the 101 going the opposite way, with the music on, I still heard it, and turned my head and saw that it was an 812 . You only go as fast as your right foot presses on the throttle. Keep the drivers aids on, hit a couple of corners, even in the rain, get a feel for the traction control, and without a doubt, the more you practice, the more fun you will have. It does not matter so much the roads, you can still have a lot fun in that car !! My V4 S is wicked fast, way to much power for the street you might say, but Im using the rider aids, and getting my nerve up and snapping the throttle on a few different corners and letting the bike step out, the traction control kicks in , and its a great feeling. I dont think selling that 812 and taking such a beating on the initial investment makes any sense, matter of fact, you can have so much fun in that car, you wont need to buy another car, the 812 is all you need. Like I said, before, guys are selling their Ferraris before they even get a chance to experience them, I mean you have all those electronics, to help you get acquainted with it , and to pick what settings suit your driving style, and once you get better and better, you can select the modes that accompany your skill level at that time. Im doing the same thing with my new Ducati, my God, its taken me 8 months so far, just to figure out all the different modes and settings and what have you, its kind of fun to be honest with you, as I get better at riding it, I can customize all of the settings to match my skill level. I would think that it would be as much fun doing this in your 812 . The Ducati even has electronic compression and rebound damping, you can set it your self, or let the bike do it automatically while your riding , Dynamic is what they call it.

Thank you

George Vosburgh likes this.
  14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So many cars out there to choose from. That said..and having driven them all, still nothing compares to a Ferrari.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  15. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Tons of parts. Easy to maintain. Up to date electronics with all the nannies to use or not. Removable top or vert. No rust body.A real head turner. Now with right hand drive. Good for a couple of hundred thousand miles. C8. I love mine and no it's not a Ferrari in a few bad ways but many good ways.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  16. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    So I'm now in my 70's and much of the time not hammering around like I used to. Tired of the Italian kisses and bought a practical C8. BUT I still think about my near 2nd choice. A Bentley continental gt or gtc with the 12. Almost time for one but not quite yet.

430tdf, Wikdstrate and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is anyone interested in swapping for a Jensen Healey?

18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The Ducati rider aides are to prevent high or low siding the bike on curves or turns and minimize wheelies on acceleration. The V4 also has a more flexible frame than the prior V2 Panigales so feels much better when leaned over over rougher pavement even with the various suspension settings off. I usually have kept the aides to a minimum except in poor weather conditions and the aides in the 812 have a similar effect. Both have enough power to overcome the aides if applied quickly and harshly enough though. Smooth on and smooth off for throttle and brakes makes for a better experience with both vehicles and keeps my pants clean and dry.
    Safe riding/driving!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Texas Forever and ginoBBi512 like this.
  19. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    GT4 is amazing. I love the Boxster/cayman’s. Really fun

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Where is the OP?

Lots of good suggestions here. I love my 812 and yes it is absurdly powerful.

So far, no worries from envious people hurting it - always thumbs up. I just use wet mode in the rain, but we don’t get much rain here.

If I could only have one car, it would likely be that Porsche Cs4 convertible that I sold getting into Ferrari world.

If you just want a small fun car under the radar, go with an Abarth 500 or Mini CooperS.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    Have you driven a Boxster GTS or Spyder 981 or 718 4.0? They're some of the finest sports cars available at any price; more balanced, refined, and faster than the 993, with spectacular manual transmissions. The 981 in particular has a glorious, snarling LeMans soundtrack. They've been described as Porsche's modern interpretation of the F355....

I gravitate towards older Ferraris for some of the same reasons as the OP: modern supercars from all marques have become exercises of excess. Too much power, too big, too expensive to buy/maintain, too much depreciation. They're trophies and wealth displays. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. But for folks seeking truly driver-focused cars without the excess, the options raised here (e.g. Alfa 4C, Cayman/Boxster/GT4, Lotus) or older Ferraris are very rewarding.

430tdf and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  22. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    Or get the 2016 model with the 3.8, same better top, sounds better than 4.0, has a slightly more street-oriented suspension, and has already depreciated (a little).

23. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    996.1-997.2 GT3/RS.. Not mid engined, but my 996 GT3 puts a massive smile on my face! Might have a few code browns in the wet though (no tc/esp, only assist is ABS!). I would rec test driving one if u’re considering a GT4. The 6GT3 is insane bang for buck, imo it’s much more fun/engaging than a GT4. Shd be a solid investment too (if you end up selling)

24. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Just a thought, (and some might say this is heresey), but how about a Ford GT40 replica, put a 400 BHP engine into it, and you have plenty of power, plus fun etc.

25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Agree on all! Except no power steering.