"Santana Row" | FerrariChat

"Santana Row"

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by SROC4, Jun 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Okay folks! Why don't we make Santana Row THE permanent place to meet? Based on the 2 threads regarding the "Crystal Cove" meet, it seems like more people are in favor of Santana Row (easy access, food, shopping, parking, etc.).

I live in the city and WILL drive an hour to go to Santana Row.

If we don't set a permanent place then this will NEVER happen. I was thinking of a second venue closer to the Northbay/SF area, but now we have other people thinking of the Eastbay too!!! So I say Fk the whole thing and stick to one venue.

We all know having 3 venues will not produce our objective of a "Crystal Cove" like meet.

So why don't we all just suck it up and drive down to Santana Row?

Capiche? :)

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I went and did a travel time comparison using Yahoo!Maps for different starting points around the Bay. Granted Yahoo!Maps isn't the best estimator, but the relative numbers should be OK given the same starting points. The results surprised me and strongly favor Santana Row as better than Stanford Mall.

(minutes) Santana Row Stanford Mall
    San Rafael 59 59
    San Francisco 42 34
    Burlingame 29 21
    San Ramon 35 46
    Pleasanton 28 41
    Oakland 39 45
    Fremont 18 26
    Monterey 74 89
    Santa Cruz 37 52
    Morgan Hill 28 48

For folks in the South Bay, SR is clearly better. For folks in the East Bay, SR is also consistently better. For folks in the North Bay and North Peninsula, SR is only slightly worse (8 minutes) than Stanford Mall. I think this is the lengthy town driving penalty coming into play that was pointed out as an issue with Stanford Mall.

3. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Awesome info, Yin!

So shall we make Santana Row THE spot???

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That works for me. Given the small apparent time penalty even for folks coming from the Stanford Mall direction and the presumed benefits of avoiding any confusion about where it is on any given weekend (I noticed the Lotus guys were already getting confused about which site when), sticking with Santana Row makes a lot of sense when this idea hasn't been established yet.

Hopefully more people will weigh in...

5. lacir

lacir Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    CA/NY/TW
    Full Name:
    A J
    Agreed. I really hope to see this event grow as time goes by. The first turnout by the look of it (pictures) was great.

Good job on the mileage calculations!

6. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was hoping to discuss over this issue in person with you guys at the meet on Saturday, but it is even better if we can decide and fixed the location now.
    I much prefer to have only one location for our meet since we will have to coordinate with other boards as well.

Santana Row has my vote for sure for 2 reasons;
    - Easy Freeway access
    - Coffee and donuts

We also should not use the term “Norcal Crystal Cove”, “Bay area Crystal Cove” as we are mainly covering South Bay. I prefer we simply call by the name of the location we choose i.e. Santana Row, Stanford or whatever.

I hope we can lock on the location soon otherwise we might lose the momentum.
    Remember we will never be able to come up with A SOUTION that makes everyone happy.

Let’s just plan, meet and enjoy!!!!!

7. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    My vote is for Santana Row.

Easy access.
    Coffee, donuts, pastries.
    Shade.
    Semi-exclusive parking.
    Nice background to photograph cars in.

If anyone is hungry for breakfast right after the meet, Flames is a 5-minute walk, across Winchester Blvd!

The next thing is the question of time. Eight in the morning is when the cars start to assemble. We were there for two hours the last time. If you were driving from an hour away and arrived at 8:30 - 9:00am, you'd still be in the thick of things. Guys like Financialman and me (and a few others, the last time I asked) usually have our weekend activities booked up in the late mornings and afternoon so we'll take the first shift. I like the open highway more than a crowded one anyway!

Lastly, how often? In earlier threads, I suggested 1st and 3rd Saturdays. That seemed to have some support. However, if the meet was every Saturday morning (like that other meet down south), I'd show up too.

Let's do this!

8. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
  9. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cool dude ~

10. dexter

dexter Karting

Nov 22, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Full Name:
    Dexter
    I vote for S row also.

Also if the wives and kids want to go shopping, then they can go to valley fair or santana row while we meet and/or take a drive.

Nizam great picture and map.

11. carcollector

carcollector Karting

Apr 23, 2006
    palo alto
    Full Name:
    Chris M.
    Ya know.....I'm sure glad none of you (are) Air Traffic Controllers. Geeees!...........and here I was, very happy that Stanford Mall was to be our next stop. After reading all these posts, I thought it best to bow out for awhile, be it a feeling of disappointment or simply pouting. Now I see that cool pic from last Saturday showing the three TR rear-ends(mine is the black one)and I'm all better now. See you all Saturday.
    Chris.

12. Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    I also support Santana Row for the reasons already highlighted by others. I would also be in favor of meeting weekly to get this off the ground. Assuming that we have a core group that will "anchor" the first several meets and continue to get the word out, we should be able to sustain and grow this into a significant event.

13. AutoXer

AutoXer Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Damn Dexter, I don't know how I am going to be able to put my wife and kids all into my car though. Maybe you can show me how you do it in yours :)

SR is fine with me, evrey week seems to be too frequent though. I think having one location is great and that will make it more consistent.

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Eight? Have fun. :)

15. apkom

apkom Rookie

Jul 3, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Alexander Komlik
    For all the listed reasons and also I live only 3 miles away.

I've posted the info on elisetalk.com so expect some more Loti as well.

16. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks Alex!

Can anyone cross post this on other forums? **********, 6speedonline, etc...

17. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Come on Mike be a trooper! :)

I'll probably head over to SR straight from the bars :D

I'll bring my Mini Cooper with Stradale stripe

18. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Can we sticky this post to make it permanent?

19. Joe

Joe Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    + 1 more for Santana Row...

20. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    Having a weekly gathering at a set location on a regular basis is fine and it keeps the comraderie going. However, I think that it would be a good idea to have Major Meets on a monthly or quarterly basis and to rotate the meeting areas. It would get old pretty fast to have meetings at the same old place time after time. It would be nice to have a different venue at various locations once in a while.

To that end, I propose that we set up Major Meets in San Francisco, North Bay, East Bay, etc. That way, people will actually get to drive their F-cars somewhere. This is a car community right?

21. lacir

lacir Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    CA/NY/TW
    Full Name:
    A J
    Posted on 6speed now!

22. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Your post just put us back to the same issues we talked about more than a year ago. No offense man, but this idea was what made it so confusing that is why we decided to stick to Santana Row.

We are trying to put together something similar to Crystal Cove. They DO NOT rotate venues and this happens every week.

There will always be a core group who will go to these meets. It will be small in the beginning, but will eventually grow as more people know about it.

Plus there will always be other meets no matter what. I have gone to more than 1 meet in the same day. You'll have different car groups putting meets together. Some will be a mix of different cars, and some will be exclusive Ferrari, Lotus, Lambo, etc.

If you look at the socal section, Crystal Cove is always there every week - rain or shine. They also have other meets during the same weekends.

In reality as long as we can make the people come out and get used to Santana Row, then we are on our way to building our own "Crystal Cove" tradition.

In addition, it will be nice for enthusiasts to know that they can go to Santana Row at 8am every Saturday and will always find fellow enthusiasts with interesting cars. No need to set something up every week on the forums. It's just a permanent thing.

I usually find myself wanting to meet up with my fellow car buddies in the last minute, but are not able to since we did not plan anything days or weeks in advance. At least this one will eliminate that. You just show up at SR and will for sure find people there.

23. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    SWEET!!!

24. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'm fine with SR as a permanent venue, but now I'm confused...is this weekend's Stanford meet on or off?

Gary

25. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Gary, Stanford's off. Santana Row is on.

See you there! :)