Santana Row meet 06/10/06 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Santana Row meet 06/10/06

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by nt6d, Jun 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    drive under rope, or over person holding it. There is no "No Parking".

2. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex

Slip 'em a $50 :)

3. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Damn! Now a really have to go! LOL! :D I'll be there, buddy!

4. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Look at it this way, its very likely to be a self regulating thing...

I wouldnt park my daily driver 1999 V70R in the "Show car" area when I come down. Others that know about the meet will likely do the same. But if I show up in one of my vehicles that is show WORTHY (like the Corviar, its really cute) I'll park it with the other show cars. Just like I would if I showed up in my F-car or P-car, or on one of my bikes.

Most here are adult enough, and respectiful enough to do the same.

5. lacir

lacir Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    CA/NY/TW
    Full Name:
    A J
    #80 lacir, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Crystal Cove has always welcomed all cars and enthusiasts. I go almost every other weekend and will be attending it again this saturday. I don't think I have ever seen any people getting protective over his/her exotic cars because a 911 or Vette was parked next to it. In fact, the show area is always filled with some American Muscle (even a regular who owns a C5 with lambo doors which some may call rice). Some other cars include the NSX, SL55/65, cayenne turbo which was there the other day, the SLK "suv" if you may, Saleen Mustang with the S7 (and Mr. Saleen himself), Vipers, and others some here would get offended over. The elise is always welcome, and there is always at least one or two in the main area. Who cares? Everyone is happy.

People are there to enjoy the scenery and talk with other owners. That is the entire point of crystal cove. It is not just an EXOTIC ONLY hangout. That is why it is such a success, because anyone is invited. If you want it to be all Ferraris, get a group and get there first :)

One great thing I'd like to say about Crystal Cove is how you don't know what will be there the following weekend. You will just have to go and find out! That is the beauty of it all...

Just relax and remember, everyone loves cars, including your ferrari, no matter if it is parked next to another F car or a Civic.

Below are two pictures I recently took at CC:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    wow.. Steve Saleen came to CC?? That's insane.. like the one time I was there... Mr.Balboni (chief test driver for Lambo) was there.. it was definitely worth it..

7. lacir

lacir Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    CA/NY/TW
    Full Name:
    A J
    Yep, the entire Saleen crew (about a 10min drive for them). The silver s7 was actually a different owner (mannyk on this board). The Saleen crew brought a bronze one.

Mr. Balboni came a few weeks ago (not sure if it was the same day as you) and test drove the twin turbo gallardo that came to CC!

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Reeves Callaway shows up, as well.

9. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    that's cool.. I think a good idea would be to approach a few dealerships (like I did the first time and asked Mark (Steven's Creek BMW) to bring a car--and he brought an E60 M5 :)) and get them to bring some sports cars.. BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche.. then we can get a bigger group.. but I just feel that I personally would be more inclined to wake up early to go see EXOTIC cars.. but that's just me.. so to each his own.

Anyone know of any F50 owners other than Art in the area?? Tell them to bring the car.. that would be siiiiick.. by december there are going to be at least 3 Veyrons in the area... Atherton and south of that.. so it would be cool if they can come.. we need to get more exotics..

Let's just leave it where anyone can attend.. but try to get as many exotic cars (whatever your definition may be) to attend..

and that begs another question: What about bikes?? It would be nice to have a bunch of sport bikes attend as well IMO.

10. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Arun,

Glad to read your response. Like you said, if you don't feel like going, then don't. You've been to CC to know what it's all about.

Peace out, spidey! :)

11. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I think it'd be awesome, as well, but I fear that by 8am on Saturday, the bikes are already carving up Skyline...

12. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What do you guys think of choppers? I find them very interesting to look at. I saw a few during a 969 meet last year.

We can also talk to SVAG, FoSV, FoSF, BMC, etc. to see if they can bring some of their cars to show...

13. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I love choppers, but quiet exhuast is something they're not known for... :rolleyes: ....Since we've beaten that horse to a pulp, I'll just say that I think it'd be cool if they show, but I know not everyone else would.

14. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
  15. lacir

lacir Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2006
    CA/NY/TW
    Full Name:
    A J
    Although I'm an avid sport motorcycle enthusiast/rider, I would have to hope that it would be many adult owners rather than the "squids". Don't want this to turn into a rowdy crowd and even THOUGH not all motorcyclists are like this I can say that a lot of motorcycle gatherings have gone sour :(

Even meets at starbucks before a group ride brings the cops to look over license plates and registration. Rather a bad mix. ALTHOUGH for the italian sportbike owners out there, would be great. Ducati/MV Agusta etc motorcycles will show up at Crystal Cove :)

I'm not sure if Ducati North america (centered in cupertino) still sponsors the bike night at santana row once a month?

16. LT-1

LT-1 Karting

May 13, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Robert
    D'oh!!!!
    Note to self: Do not run open headers to Santana Row early in the morning.

17. nickargon

nickargon Rookie

Sep 20, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    they do - it was tonight. I went outside and spoke to them, mentioned sat mornings!

18. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    It has been quite a while since there has been any proper meet or drive in the Bay Area. Anyway, after thinking about it, I think it's time to set up an EXOTIC CAR meet regularly. It would somewhat imitate Crystal Cove in SoCal with respect to a bunch of Exotic Car owners and enthusiasts getting together for a couple of hours to admire each others' cars. Since the Bay Area is so vast and owners are rather spread out geographically, it would be better if there are a couple of different locations.

Therefore, here's the idea:

On the first Saturday of every month, we can have a meet at the Starbucks in Santana Row. The time can be discussed but I would guess people want it somewhat early in the morning--8:00 A.M?

On the third Saturday of every month, we can have a meet at the Starbucks in Stanford Mall (Palo Alto). This would be more preferable to those who are in the North Bay. However, this location can be discussed as well because some might prefer it further north as in Menlo Park or even San Mateo but I'm not too familiar with those areas so others can recommend places to meet.

The fact that there will be two different dates and two different locations will give an option to people who want to come. Those who can't make it to one, can come to the other.

Also, no drives are planned as this is just an opportunity for car nuts to get together and have a good time.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME--ALL CARS/BIKES etc. Anyone can come out on a Saturday morning with family/friends (or alone) to check out the rides and start the day off well!

Any suggestions or comments are welcome, especially for the second location. Hope this works out for most people!

The first meet is at Santana Row this coming Saturday, June 3rd at 8:00 A.M.
    (As suggested in the other thread)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I return from a great day of driving in Napa Valley with the top down and I find numerous posts regarding our "discussion" of the Saturday meets. I reiterate that prior comments welcome all comers, regardless of the type of auto. This was not meant to exclude anyone. I just felt that a label of "exotic cars" would be of considerable interest to most people.

For your reference, the post above was the originating thread regarding a meet. Baasha got it all started on 5/30/06 and we have him to thank for initiating the first meet. As I stated previously, the primary goal was an "exotic car meet". I request that posters read what is actually written instead of adding on to the interpretation of others.

I thought that the beauty of a thread was to facilitate open discussion amongst its members. You don't need to try to intimidate other posters with belittling comments and sarcastic behavior. I've received several PMs from other F car owners who have no interest in a mish-mash event. They thanked me for my post, yet don't want to be confrontational. I request that belittling posts be kept out of the forum. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. This type of behavior only curbs future posters and reduces the expression of the group.

As far as the meets are concerned, I wish you well. No more F-Chat for me for now.

19. atan808

atan808 Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    bay area
    Full Name:
    alvin
    san mateo sounds good. but the biggest parking lot i can think of is the one in fashion island in foster city.

20. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Spider,

The post from Arun (Baasha) is just one of many posts from other people that have been going around for a while now.

Not to take anything away from Arun, the meet ended up becoming what it is now because no one could decide whether to have 2 rotating venues, or to have one near the south, one in the north and one in the east. So I started the "Santana Row" thread.

The core group of people here plus others seemed to agree to cross post to Lambo, Lotus, and Porsche forums, period. No one posted on Merc, BMW, or any Japanese forums before Saturday's meet. But the issues we all have been going back and forth on was about "other" cars.

We will never make this meet a success if we restrict who can participate or not. As what Yin and the rest of the folks say, how can you define what is exotic? There is no way to define it.

I noticed you are new to fchat. We have a good group here. Some of us have "butted" heads in the past, but we all still attend the same meets and go on the same drives. We even have lunch together! You have an Audi and have owned Pcars. I'm sure you consider yourself an enthusiast. What if you did not have your spider? Since a Carrera is not considered an "exotic" based on some of the posts here, how would you feel about that? Would you still come, or think us Fcar guys are a bunch of arrogant jackasses? Are you a different person now because you own a spider? I'm sure a little happier, but other than that, you're still the same bloke, right?

I've received PM's from people giving their support too. This meet is not for everyone. No one said it will be. I started the Santana Row thread, but I never said it was mine nor is it fchat's. It's for EVERYONE. I'm just one voice out of many who think we should make this open to a bigger group of cars and gearheads.

Just as an FYI, all this dialog is giving the Lotus guys the impression they are not wanted at the meets. There have been posts about them feeling unwanted already - what more the Porsche guys. If this is the message coming across to the other boards, it just means this is the message we are sending out.

As the saying goes, if you can't stand the heat get out of the bloody kitchen. I'm not saying you do, though. I hope you stay around and go to the meet this weekend. It would be nice to meet you in person, and just enjoy the cars. :)

What do you say?

21. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    "I thought that the beauty of a thread was to facilitate open discussion amongst its members. You don't need to try to intimidate other posters with belittling comments and sarcastic behavior. I've received several PMs from other F car owners who have no interest in a mish-mash event. They thanked me for my post, yet don't want to be confrontational. I request that belittling posts be kept out of the forum. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. This type of behavior only curbs future posters and reduces the expression of the group."

Spider,

This "debate" is child's play. Do a search on "exotic" and prepare to be shocked. :)

Welcome to Fchat!

Alex

22. carcollector

carcollector Karting

Apr 23, 2006
    palo alto
    Full Name:
    Chris M.
    I'm not sure how large this is going to be. Apparently, some of you want this to have its own zip-code. Who becomes liable should someone "show off" and hurt an innocent bystander or a bystander simply trips and falls or whatever the case may be. Of course I'm sure this is on Santana Row's list of concerns. I would think some sort of indemnification is needed. Could an attorney come after F-chat?, the organizers?, Santana Row? I hope somebody has been put in charge to look into this. Just thought I should bring it up.
    Chris.

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    For those of you unaware of the history of discussion on this board on a BA Crystal Cove, this has been going on for a very long time. No one could agree on what to do until Nizam and Alex cleaned up the alternating site proposal. Yes, the original proposal was "exotics only" and most long-timers know that is what Baasha would prefer; nothing wrong with that. At the same time, the stated desire was for something like Crystal Cove, and as has been demonstrated, Crystal Cove is successful partly because it is inclusive, not exclusive. If you feel strongly about it, vote with your presence or absence.

Early Norcal discussion #1

Early Norcal discussion #2

Early Norcal discussion #3

Another Norcal meet discussion

Kickoff to latest discussion

First Santana Row suggestion

Further Norcal meet discussion

6/3/06 Santana Row

Making Santana Row "permanent"

6/10/06 Santana Row

BTW - for those of you who want more Ferrari-specific events, the following are several events that happened in the past 3-4 months and give you an idea of how they happen, which is generally someone has an idea and posts it. How many of these did you people attend? Last Summer & Fall, it did seem more active as it seemed we had a drive every couple of weeks, but that was because a couple of people (Alex & Baasha) just posted proposals more regularly. This Spring, it's been a little quieter, perhaps some new instigators need to step up.

In other words, if you want more F-specific events, then jump in and get something started. There isn't a Bay Area FChat Events Director. If people want something to happen, but expect someone else to get it started, then it just doesn't happen. Same with people who send PM's to others, but never speak up for themselves. If you're not willing to speak up about what you want, then you're not going to be heard. Stop lurking and get involved.

February Lunch

March Lunch

March Meet & Drive

April Lunch

May Rampage Weekend

June Lake Tahoe Weekend

24. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Where in the world is Bobafett San Diego? :) Didnt see his 550 in the line-up?

25. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The last thing I wanted to hear was that the Elise and Porsche guys are already feeling not welcome. Somehow, when this discussion started, I knew it would happen, but I really had my fingers crossed that it would not.

For all the PCar and Lotus guys reading this post --

YOU ARE ALL 110% WELCOME AT OUR GATHERINGS!

I can't begin to count how many great, new people I met as a result of the increased turnout last Saturday. Let's squash all the nonsense once and for all about what's exotic and what's not.

Instead of worrying about supercars, "mass-production" cars, and so forth, imagine being an 8-year-old and walking through the lot with your mom/dad who were just planning on getting an early start on the Saturday shopping, but instead stumbled into a car meet... Do you think a kid cares what *brand* of cars are there???? NO! To him, they are ALL cool, and for that reason deserve to be displayed with pride.

Aaron