San Marino WARNING: Race spoilers | Page 9 | FerrariChat

San Marino WARNING: Race spoilers

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bart, Apr 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    How do you know that's what happened? Did you investigate the crash?

2. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    The engine was bad to the point the on Saturday they were thinking on changing it and let Alonso drop to the 12 position in the grid. But finally they decided to take the chances, that there were something else, possibly.

But it was quite clear that they did not trust the engine, the only did run 10 laps in practice for something, and all pointed to the engine.

Of course Renault have to look into their engine reliability issue, but so far this is the only engine to win 2 GPs in 2 races, at least in recen years. Ferrari still has to win one and then use that engine in the next one!

- Julio.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for the clarification. That puts it indeed into a different light.

That's now the ultimate slogan for the Renault marketing group: "The only F1 engine that ever won two races in a modern GP!"

4. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    LOL, yeah, although that is not going to make me buy a Renault, no chance!!!

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Renault sales in Spain are way up currently. No wonder. You probably know that already.

6. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Unffortunatelly!!! Oh well, the good thing is, Ferrari sales are also up in Spain!

I won't be in Barcelona though! But is going to be a hell of an event! Everything is already sold, 150.000 + people.

- Julio.

7. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I also think we’re in for a heck of a season. Kimi looked blinding. If the car held together… we’ll let’s not get into “what-ifs”. The fact is that Renault has won two races with the same engine. That’s pretty amazing.

I’m not sure what’s going on with BAR. Good race but now with the whole “extra fuel tank” thing it certainly taints the race for them. Not the first time that trick’s been used though.

Toyota did a great job finishing as well as they did. This would be the worst track for them and to see the cars do fairly well in qualifying and in the race should mean that this is the worst they should do. Should be. We all know how unpredictable Formula One can be. Well, how unpredictable it used to be and seems to be again.

MS drove a brilliant race and he lost the win in qualifying. But, it was his mistake and I’m sure he and the team will live with it. Second is nothing to sneeze at but as we used to say… if you second, you’re the first of the losers.

Spain should be a good race. Ferrari will be at a bit of a disadvantage to the other teams as they don’t do as much testing there as they do. The one thing that we didn’t see thought at the end of the race was the condition of the Ferrari’s rear tires. From watching the closing laps I could see definite grooves on them. Which is something new and very encouraging for the Scuderia.

If the Renault was running about 4k down on RPM that’s a huge margin. It would also explain how Kimi was able to run off down the track. Ferrari still has it's work cut out for them if indeed this is the case. For the Renault to be that far down on power and still be able to stay in front of the Ferrari with MS behind the wheel says a lot about how well that chasis is working. And how good the nut behind the steering wheel is. I'd also bet we'll see many more teams with new front wings like Renault had this weekend for Spain. I'm sure they've had those waiting in the wings (no pun intened) and played their hand perfectly. I'm sure they're one of the reasons the Renault got around the track as well as it did during the race. Also Fernando was using the Renault's superior traction out of the turns to his advantage. He'd pull MS in fast balk in the slower turns then get on the power sooner than MS was able to. Fantastic drive for such a young driver. I think we have the real deal here.

All in all I thought it was a fantastic race. Looking forward to Spain. I’m sure the place will be packed!

8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Never mind that an actual investigation did state that Senna wasn't to blame for the crash. Imperial lives in his own little world. I've begun to put him on "mute" as none of his post seem to contribute to any kind of discussion.

Just ignore him... don't feed the trolls.

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    That was one heck of a great race!

Alonso was brilliant. The job he did holding MS off despite tires that were shot and MS being at least 1.5 secs a lap faster was simply amazing.

Earlier in the race the battle for 3-4-5-6 was pretty hot as well.

CBS SUCKS! I hate that they are doing some F1 broadcasts. Derek Daly should never be allowed to speak on television again, the guy is an idiot and goes on and on about the stupidest stuff!

8 laps to go, MS is glued to FA's rear and one of the best battles for the win in recent memory is in full swing! So what does CBS do? They cut to a commercial for bladder control drugs, some other CBS programming highlights and weee bit of gold highlights and updates. We miss about 3 laps of it. I wanted to shoot someone!

Why can we not get the F1 "Bernie Vision" in the states?

Terry

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed on the race stuff. A couple of TV comments:

I have seen Derek giving a speech and the guy is simply brilliant. I had the feeling CBS told him to dumb it down a notch so the non F1 fan viewer would understand what's going on. Actually understandable if you want to reach a bigger viewership and have a bunch of newbies on.

I believe Bernie Vision was killed off many years as they didn't get enough paying viewers to sign up. I might be wrong though.

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    But Toyota still plans to appeal.

And on the appeal front, despite the stewards finding that Button's car was okay, FIA is going to appeal to their own review board.

I've been getting the impression for a few years that FIA has been harassing the Japanese brands in WRC, now it looks like they're carrying it over to F1.

Where was that break-away series?

FIA: Fools, Idjits, and A**ses. :(

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This was my favorite race that he didn't win

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, but I have to side with the FIA on this. The FIA in WRC found an extremely elaborate cheat with the works Toyotas about 10 years ago ... and forced Toyota to sit out the complete season because of this. This cheat was so clever that Toyota HAD to know ... thus would you trust them??

Pete

14. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    You are quite right. Bernie's company does do the TV for some races, but they work as a sub-contractor to the host TV station. There is only ever 1 set of TV pictures from each race now.

I thought this was one of Michael's best ever drives and I was hugely impressed with Alonso for not cracking under the pressure. I really thought/hoped that Alonso would make a mistake somewhere and then not defend his position too hard as he needs all the points he can get.

A classic race. Roll on Barcelona, although the track does tend to produce parades rather than races.

Can MS win a title this year? He really needs Alonso to DNF at a few races if he is to acheive it?

Not sure what to think about this BAR cheating thing. It seems unlikely to me that they would try it. The inly explanation I can think of is that they have employed some ex-Toyota staff! ;)

15. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think Jenson was in a pretty good position to make a judgement. His verdict is that Michael's performance on Sunday was "Just staggering":

I think he's right! :)

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    The bit in bold concerns me. Surely this is a reliability issue that Renault needs to fix? I guess had they had not restricted the revs to 15200 then Alonso may not have even completed the race.

17. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    What I have read in some other news papers here, is that the Renault mechanics were of the opinion that Alonso should had droped the engine and lose 10 positions in the grid. It was Alonso who pushed the decision to take the risk because he was confident that if he was in the first line at the grid he will have more chances that starting down the grid.

Apparentlly the engine was 'seriously' damaged due to the effort in Baharein and the excesive heat, however the mechanics were confifdent too that if they kept the revs bellow 16000 rpm there was a 50% chance that it will hold the full race. In this other newspaper 'El `Mundo' said that he started the race with the engine toping a 16000 rpm but that by the end of the race was only 15200. so he had aprox 80hp less at the start of the race and up to 100 hp less by the end of the race.

So, if this is true, it means that yes they have to work on the reliability of the engine.

- Julio.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm starting to loose track on who has what engine, so maybe we should keep an eye on that for the next race:

Barcelona will give Alonso a new engine. What about Schumacher, Kimi, Rubens and Button to name the hottest contenders?

19. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I know both the Ferrari's had new engines with the new chassis in Bahrain. So, they'll have new engines for the next race as well.

I think BAR kept the same engine in after Australia... I think. So they should be on a new engine.

Kimi... I have no idea. I think he'll have a new one.

Toyota will have new engines as well.

Red Bull will have the newest Cosworth engine so let's see if DC can get break into the top five again.

20. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I didn't get to see how the tires looked at the end b/c of the quick wrap up by CBS, but at least as of his 2nd stop MS's tires looked great, much better than Sepang/Bahrain. He looked very smooth in his lines, much more so than in the past. I'm not sure if this is due to the characteristics of the newer cars and tires or if it is a more mature MS.

About Alonsos revs, that is a nice try by Flavio to spin this into making them look more competitive, but as has been pointed out, if they need to cut revs, their package has a weakness.

I just hope this trend continues and McLaren and Ferrari have really closed the gap so we can have a good battle. For me, I think the sport is at it's best when several teams have are capable of winning and you don't know what to expect for each race.

21. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    New V10 vs beat up V9 can someone explain to me if this is even true about Renault or is this just made up ?.....I can't see a brand new Ferrari V10 be out gunned by a V9 Renault.

22. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    V9??? What? :confused:

A car that has a 100hp deficit could compete with another car around a track that's very hard to over take on (Imola) if it works better through the corners, accelerates better with the power on hand, and has a lower drag coefficient for an equal amount of downforce. Which the Renault seems to have all of. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Renault doesn't have the best engines but they do have the best chassis.

23. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Didn't Boeing approach Reanult in reguards to there aerodynamics or something? I remeber hearing about this awhile back.

24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Michael lost that extra second when he got held up by a Jordan. Brilliant move on Michael's part when the Jordan finally moved over then he pulled immediately in front of him (bet the Jordan doesn't do that again!). We were sitting in Acque Minerale and one of the corner workers sure was busy during the race waving his blue flag. The beginning of the race was quite honestly very boring - Kimi and Alonso checked out on everyone and the intervals between cars was such that all were just one big processional.

Carol

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I thought Ferrari was also running last week's engines.