San Marino WARNING: Race spoilers | Page 10 | FerrariChat

San Marino WARNING: Race spoilers

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Bart, Apr 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Derek Daly's best comment was regarding Montoya's injury having ocurred while Montoya was "playing tennis" on a motorcycle. Sometimes it's good to hear the commentators opine that others are full of crap

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No ... MS had a brand spanking new healthy engine!

Watch the race again. Notice how Alonso slowed his car drastically through the corners by extra braking. He did this to slow MS and to ensure MS could not get on the power early. This is clever karting stuff ... and I applaude Alonso for being cool enough behind the wheel to keep his weak car infront of MS's far better one.

Pete

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    You really need to watch what you say not only is it disrespectful it's also, as usual, an incorrect statement. MS couldn't carry Senna's jock strap and knows it.

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    When we were at the F1 Test Day at Fiorano April 14th, MS commented that the tyres were the problem. That day he put in 139 laps and was really putting the tyres to the test! There was testing at Fiorano taking place last Wednesday night about 7:30 pm when we went to dinner at Montana. In all the races we've attended, Michael has ALWAYS been the absolutely smoothest driver on circuit. You could almost liken his driving to that of a ballet.

Carol

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Carol,

This is not consistent with his early years with Ferrari and what I have read about his driving. MS likes to unsettle the car on purpose as he turns in so that the back kicks out and thus the line tightens and the car is straight and faster as it exits the corner. He usually does this via his right foot ... and thus his rear tyres (used to) suffer. Hakenin does a similar thing but does it via throwing the car ... not with his right foot and thus was easier on tyres.

Anyway ... just my 2 cents worth.
    Pete

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas

7. jon24

jon24 Rookie

Apr 23, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Jon Overton
    I doubt that Alonso could come back from 12th and be able to make that brilliant pass on button

8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    First welcome to the Board! Second I disagree with you. :) That brilliant pass on Button was made possible because Button had to back off of the throttle due to the lapped traffic up ahead. MS had a clean run and took the opportunity. Nice move. But, go to any Kart race across the US (or the world) and you can see lots of passes very similar to this one. I have no doubt Alanso has the ability to pull off one just as well as MS.

9. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I think both of you are right. Michael can adapt his driving style to the circumstances. He is smooth when needed and aggressive otherwise.

There was some race in 94 or 95 where he was stuck in 5th gear for a good part of the race and still finished second overall - he was adopting a different racing line to cover for this fault.

Alonso is also good in this respect. I remember an interview with Pat Symonds last year who commented that Alonso's car had some issue wherein he had lost 7% downforce in the rear but Alonso adapted brilliantly to the situation and still did well.

Raikkonen had damage to his car in Spa and still won the race.

All really good drivers will drive around the cars faults in race conditions....

10. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Did you see the Malasia GP? ItI think Alonso is one of the few drivers in F1 that know what is to pass other cars on the track, and not at the pits.

Alonso has been one of the few drivers that had perform more passes in recent years in the F1, some of them brilliant. One good reason for it, in the past season, was, that ulinke MS, he satarted lower in the grid LOL!!!!

- Julio.

11. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    So will MS have a new engine or not? What about RB? :confused:

12. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    I think MS won't, and he will have to use the engine from Imola while RB wil have a new engine.

But as Tiffosi12 I am too confused, although I am pretty sure this is the curent situation there is a small chance I might be wrong.

- Julio.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually there is a 50% chance we're wrong or right.
    :)

14. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    :confused: Confused as well. Did something happen during the weekend that caused MS to change out his engine? If so then he'd have the same one for the Spanish. If not, he'd be running with a new one.

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Since MS went out in Bahrain after 15 laps or so, doesn't that force him to run in Spain with the same engine? Also, Rubens didn't complete Imola, so it would seem that he has to run on the same engine from Bahrain as well.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that an engine must COMPLETE two grand prix races. I would be very happy if this is not the case, but I fear that it is.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's not that simple, hence the confusion: If the team can show to the FIA that the engine suffered from the DNF, then a new one can be put in place without penalty. Furthermore if you blow an engine in practice/qual you get a new one and a penalty (e.g. Massa in Imola). That's why it is so hard to keep track on who has a new engine etc.

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It's very hard to keep track of anyone except Fernando Alonso at this point. It would be great to see Ferrari, Renault and McLaren all at full stregnth for the Spanish Grand Prix.

The 4:30a wake-up calls are really worth it this year. (Of course, I've still enjoyed the Ferrari dominance)

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    By the time they roll off for the formation lap, I normally can watch the sun rise at the horizon.

19. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    On the other hand, while in Europe the race is at lunch time (between 14:00 till easily 17:00 on the weekends) :D LOL at least is at lunch time in Spain.

It is hard to explain to girfrinds, wifes, mothers... why you can't go to the table and seat for lunch. Because if you go and you say something like 'I can't go now dear, I am watching...' you never have the opportunity to finish the sentence.

And of course is harder if they had plans to go out for lunch... oh dear, oh dear!!!

- Julio.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Absolutely. I used to watch them in Europe and know the drill. A GP basically ruins your Sunday for anything, which is really a pain in the nice summer time. So I don't complain about the early GPs in the US. A F1 race start is like an intravenous dose of epresso.

21. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    They're not going after Toyota for "cheat" technology, they're complaining that they let Ralf leave pit lane when he was ready -- and when Heidfeld was entering the pits. Like we've never seen more than one moving car in pit lane before.

Every manufacturer pushes the envelope on technology. How many black boxes were scanned for traction control a few years back? Nobody has some sneak code in the software now? Are you sure?

Would Toyota working the edge of the rules explain why the Lancer EVO suddenly became "not a Lancer" under the '04 rules? The FiA is going after both Honda and Toyota after Imola -- and they're appealing the ruling of their own stewards who found nothing to penalize on Button.

Today, the manufacturers leading WRC under current rules are Citroen and Peugeot. The manufacturer leading F1 under this week's rules is Renault. The rules are set by Federation Internationale de l'Automobile. Heck of a coincidence, oui?

22. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Why the hell should he move over? It was for position, i wouldn't have either.