Saddam's Ferrari? And the stolen cars from Kuwait | FerrariChat

Saddam's Ferrari? And the stolen cars from Kuwait

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by bitzman, Sep 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I did a story for a magazine on Saddam's Mercedes, which was a prewar car
    which he stole from the Royal Museum. At the time all I could find was one snapshot
    of the car taken by some of the US troops but later I found on the net lots of pictures of collector cars that Saddam's sons had , but none of those pictured were Italian, and they were a little worse for wear when they were suddenly bulldozed to make a wall to defend against sniper fire. But I heard from an appraiser who said he went to Baghdad and looked at some Testarossas and more recent cars, and also heard a rumor (can't remember from where) about a Ferrari Barchetta that belonged to Saddam or his sons. I didn't think they were into old cars so I would discount this. But on the other hand, Saddam was pretty tight with the King of Jordan who was an old car collector and maybe something was traded there.

I also talked to an Iraqi who came here as a refugee (and now makes good money buying wrecked luxury cars and fixing them up in Salt Lake City) who told me he was inon the invasion of Kuwait and that they took everything that wasn't nailed down, so I only know about the 90 Rolls Royce and Bentleys--I wonder how many Ferraris they took from Kuwait and who those cars belong to now (yeah, I know "spoils of war.")

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I'm sure there are a number of people here who know much more about this than I do, but having lived here for 20 years, I have talked to a number of people about this very subject.

It is my understanding that many, many of the cars that were taken from Kuwait (and it wasn't just exotics, but EVERYTHING) ended up in Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon, with few (very few) being trans-shipped to Turkey and Egypt.

Arezzo? KKSBA? Anyone?

Mike in Kuwait

3. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    I have pictures of Saddams (and his sons) cars somewhere (after 2003 that is).

During the first gulf war in 1991 many cars were taken to Iraq indeed but i'm not sure about italian cars i saw pictures of mercedeses mostly.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can confirm that you are correct about Lebanon. My uncle, who lives in Lebanon, used to work in Kuwait until the Gulf War, told me some of the stories when I went to visit him in Lebanon back in 2003.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have an unproved undocumented theory that, if you look at any given geographical area, and ask "when was the boom?" you might find some rare cars there. For instance, I noticed at Pebble Beach that some of the Chrysler dream cars that were sold off the dais after their show careers ended, went to Venezuela. I thought "why Venezuela?" but then concluded that their big oil boom must have been around the early'50s and cash was flowing in. And also I found a listing for a 275GTB in Alaska and figured that probably went there just when Alaska was swimming in oil money. Just like Dubai now...

Also I have a similar theory that there might be interesting cars "marooned" on islands. If you can't sell a car to anyone on the island, it sits there because the owner is loathe to ship it to the mainland to be sold, especially if it doesn't run. I met a British vintage car racer at Monterey whose practice it was to go to islands like Madagascar, check into a nice hotel and spread the word among the staff that he was "looking for old cars" and soon there would be steady steam of tips on this and that, and , in a few short weeks, he'd clean an island out of anything interesting. One of his best finds was in Cuba where he found a D-type Jag that had been hit in the nose and refitted (poorly) with an E-type nose and all the other so-called experts who saw pictures thought "An e-type is not worth going after" but didn't realize that beyond that nose was a car worth a 100 times more.

Uberpower likes this.
  6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
  7. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    There are all kinds of angles in such a situation, as Mike said alot of the cars (not just exotics) were taken to countries around the region, Kuwait had quite a diverse population even then so people who couldn't fly out took whatever they could get their hands on and just drove off to their home countries and most likely those exotics were re-exported around the world but having said that some exotics were parked in private underground garages that very few people knew about or had access to so they survived, imho those cars are useless anyway as they are never driven, people don't even know they exist. I know a guy who has a brand new (delivery miles) Challenge Stradale, jacked up and covered. I mean wtf is that about? I guess at the end of the day its whatever makes you happy.

S

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I heard there was a few Ferraris in an underground garage in either Paris or Lebanon, the garage was damaged by a bomb and you couldn't reach the cars without removing a lot of concrete. Anybody you know that knows about when this was and which country? Maybe they could be bought as "scrap metal"?

9. saadxj220

saadxj220 Karting

Oct 13, 2008
    Dubai, U.A.E
    There is an F40 in Iraq which belonged to his son I think.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    One of his sons had a 550 in grigio titanio that was stripped to the shell.

US Army blew up one of their Lamborghini LM002s...

of2worlds likes this.