Sad but true | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sad but true

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JJmoto, Jul 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah that really benefited the community also. Go do laundry or something.

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, I've been contributing for over a decade....not complaining from post #1

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yup.

Also, the thought that posting here, will in some way convince a shop to change its attitude/policy/approach is just grasping at straws.

Most folks that run successful businesses have established an approach for that business. An angry post here isn't going to get them to change that.

D

4. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    It sounds to me like the OP didn't give the shop enough of an opportunity to correct the problem; he contracted prematurely with another shop. He should have at least gotten in writing from RAV that they wouldn't honor a "come back."

5. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I think they refer to it as "Jumping the gun"

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Sounds like he was trying to get instant resolution. I've had customers call me 5 times in 30 minutes. If I'm in an hour long meeting the 6th call is from corporate saying I have an irate customer.

As to a list of reputable shops, that turns into a mess. It's a rare shop that doesn't have some person have some poo poo comment. In my business we know we aren't going to win them all. Customers are people and not all people are above board. I'm sure if we could get the reputable shops to talk they would have piles of stories about customers that really stuck it to them after they provided a good service. The best shops don't get into the fray, they allow their reputation to speak for itself. I don't know the shop in question at all. It's not their job to refute every word of the OP. I think they gave something of a moderated professional response.

As was recommended. Talk to people you know and trust to get a recommendation. I realized that the best shops don't even really want their names necessarily thrown around in a public forum. Some are booked months out with customers they have ongoing relationships with. I now have a few shops that I've been very happy with, some known, some not as much.

Best we can do is network and find people we can trust. My first meeting with my first tech was like an interview, both ways. We had a really nice long discussion about what I wanted and expected from the car. It felt real good. Another shop I did the same thing and didn't get the same feeling when I tried to have a discussion so I haven't gone there.

Good luck everyone.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not at all my experience with amex. Just the opposite. They yanked the money out of my account not once but three friggin times for service i did not get. I didnt notice it on the bill and paid it. Then had to withhold payment on the next one until i got a credit. Real pain in the ass. V

Visa was just the opposite they gave a credit and told the vendor to make ot right.

Just sayin must be on a case by case basisi for both is all i can think of.

8. JJmoto

JJmoto Rookie

Jul 7, 2015
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Josh Johnson
    To put all the speculation to rest. I gave RAC plenty of time and chances to resolve the issue. I would have preferred nothing more than to get the car back to RAC. But from the first time I contacted them about the problem they did nothing but avoid my call and give me attitude when I did finally get a hold of them. The fist time I talked to them about the issue they did nothing but try and say that it wasn't anything the had done and had to be something else completely. They didn't even want to discuss the fact that they might have screwed up.

I'm a business owner myself and if a customer calls me that has spent $500 with me much less thousands,the first thing I do is say I'm so sorry they are having issues and get one of my technician right back out there. They treated this situation in the exact opposite fashion. So I took it to another shop to see what they thought about what was going on. Once the other shop hooked my car up to their computer and all the clutch values were all out of whack and could not be manipulated at all, it was very obviouse that something rac had done was the issue.

So once again I called RAC and they ignored my calls and sent me to Voice mail. So I borrowed a friends phone that had a completely different area code and what do you know they answered their phone. I told them what we had found at that point and told them that I wanted to give them another chance to make it right. Solomon who was listening in on another line interjected and said that there was no way that it was their fault but I could make the 1200 mile round trip to bring the car back to them or I could pay to ship it back to them at my expense and they would fix the car at an additional charge because it was obviously something else that had broken on my piece of shot Ferrari. He proceeded to tell me that they didn't need my business and to go ahead and take it to Ferrari Scotsdale if that's what I felt like doing. So at this point I felt unappreciated,insulted and pretty much disrespected. So off to Ferrari Scotsdale she went.

As far as this being my first post and it being a not so positive subject I'm sorry but life happens. Not what I planned but just the way it worked out. All I was trying to do was let my fellow Ferrari brothers & sisters know of the experience I had so hopefully none of you have to go through the same thing. I have belonged to another Fcar forum for several years and I look forward to becoming an active part of this community if you'll have me.

9. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    Sorry for your bad experience. . BUT Rac doesn't have any ferrari mechanics working there anymore. They aren't the place to take ferrari like they one were. I also found out the hard way when they screwed up my clutch install. .

If in dallas do norwoods or boardwalk. .

Stay far away from RAC. .

10. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I am sure he appreciates the advice. Unfortunately it's to late now.

11. Orange Crush

Orange Crush Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    Wichita KS
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm really sorry to hear about this. I've been there before and it's never a good feeling. As for you only having 1 post that's irrelevant, I've been a lurker on here for years and only now just started posting. If something like this happened to me I'd want to tell the community as well. Here's to hoping it can get sorted without getting way too messy.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If this is so, why did they work on it?

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are a great many shops all over the country without either equipment or specific product knowledge working on these cars. There are others that have a constant cycle of employees going through. One week they have a good Ferrari mechanic, next week not. That is really common. If Ferrari is not their only business or at least their primary business one of those two scenarios is a near certainty.

Don't feel shy about asking very specific questions about both especially when it comes to the later model cars. Many shops are just shotgunning repairs because they do not have the specific computer equipment or their mechanic is reading FChat to try and diagnose your car. It is happening every day.

14. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    Kind of interesting how similar, yet different, OP's story is to the shop's.

I absolutely wouldn't pay transport costs to have my car taken back, unless I had confirmation that I would be reimbursed when/if the cause of the failure was determined. Also interesting (if accurate) that he called from a different number, and the shop answered after sending his number to voicemail immediately prior.

Hm...

15. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

One reason, the 20k they got from the op.

16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    True. There are a boatload of threads in the Technical Q&A section from folks with a handful of posts to their name that start with "Hi guys, I have an (insert model here) in my shop, and wondered if anyone here knows the correct cam degree angles..."

17. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Out of curiosity I just looked up their website. They show they are currently working on a customers F-40. I guess they will be using the search engine on here to figure out what to do.

18. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In over ten years you can't fill out a profile?

19. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    This thread is becoming boring.
    Just my thoughts......

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sorry we are not keeping you entertained. Maybe you can read something else.

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I think most readers take interweb postings with a grain of salt, but I personally don't mind a bit of dirty laundry. First, it's entertaining, albeit at others' expense and that is a part of human nature. More importantly, it's a useful data point to those researching a business. One diatribe from a customer that comes off wacky does no harm to a business, IMO, as most people consider the source, but if it happens multiple times or seems like there is some fire behind the smoke then I for one don't want all problems to be privately resolved. I've had plenty of run-ins with businesses where I wish I'd had the benefit of other people's reports instead of after-the-fact commiseration. I would like to see this matter resolved in some kind of mutually acceptable way, however.

22. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I have a rule: I treat people over the internet the same way I would treat them face to face.
    It is not about being entertained.
    I hope this problem gets solved amicably too.

23. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    buying a certain brand of car doesn't obligate you to join a forum

24. JJmoto

JJmoto Rookie

Jul 7, 2015
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Josh Johnson
    I really do appreciate all of you that have chimed in. My intent for this posting was more of a PSA then a bash session. I got in to the Ferrari world the hard way "with a basket case of a car" and one thing I know is that I have learned a lot in my experiences.

All I was trying to do was pass along one of those experiences so people could take that into their decision making process when it came to their cars. Another thing that I have learned throughout this ordeal was that I thought I was saving money taking my car to an independent shop instead of the dealer. I was wrong there too. Scottsdale Ferrari looked over the bill from RAC and told me that RAC charged me about $1000 more than Scotsdale would have for the same work.

I also want to thank the other forum members that have pointed me in the right direction towards other post on this forum about other members and their dealings with RAC that were less than stellar. Thanks again for all the response and support ,and for the one person that feels I'm waste of forum space I'm sorry you feel that way,and would not be offended at all if you never wasted your time or energy responding to such a worthless individual as myself.

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #50 taz355, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Just thought i would. Say something about my experiences with good shops.

The best shops i have had exotic car s serviced at want your buisness. They take you around the shop, they introduce you to the professionals that are going to fix your car. They do not tell you you can not talk to them once the service has been done. They give you back your parts unless you say you do not want them. They tell you where they saved you money and they tell you if they broke something.

Many consumers expect that shops are perfect, they are not, but many consumers expect the impossible. We all know that when working on something there is a possibility of damaging something else, especially if it was worked on previously by someone without much experience and why would that be the new shops fault.

Many people on here wonder why some of these technicians have no patience on this forum, or simply quit posting but when you are an expert and are being argued with, called a crook, etc what do you expect.
    Before spending 20 thousand on a car, any car maybe as consumers we should do some due dillegence and ask the hard questions, and know that the shop is qualified, concerned, and looking after our best interest. Its all about relationships and if you micro manage anything you can find fault. Who wants to work for a customer like that.

I also dont think its very professional for Scottsdale to say after the fact their bill would have been less. I bet most places after the fact would have been less. But whatever.

To the original OP i am not trying to necessarily defend anyone jus talking my experience with all shops.