[SA] Church of the Three Sisters Drive | FerrariChat

[SA] Church of the Three Sisters Drive

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ...m..., Aug 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    #1 ...m..., Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
    Anyone up for a drive first thing tomorrow morning?

I drove the Three Sisters with the San Antonio Lotus group last month, and it's a glorious run. I loathe mornings, but this is really worth waking up early for.

I'll be in front of Gold's Gym at 1604 and Bandera 6.28 AM tomorrow morning, and will leave promptly at 6.48 AM. Civil dawn departure is essential to beat the heat, literally and figuratively. Look for a titanium Elise and a silver Corvette if you'd like to join us!

Since this is an impromptu run without any advance planning, unless someone volunteers to fly lead with a radar detector, the drive may be slightly conservative. Feel free to pass along this invitation responsibly.

2. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    ...i ended up flying solo this morning, not unexpected due to the short notice, but i think i'm going to make this a regular monthly engagement with a bit more advance notice in the future...

...it's a very nice route, 260 miles and about four and a half hours driving conservatively, twisty with plenty of elevation changes, perfect for taking the lotus out the way it was meant to be driven...leaving at civil dawn (six degrees before sunrise) offered good visibility with nothing but running lights, and kept pleasantly cool and starkly empty roads nearly the entire way - it only started heating up and i only encountered other traffic on the return leg...

...keep your eyes open for next month's church of the three sisters!..

3. sTyleR

sTyleR Formula 3

Jan 18, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Oops, I missed this thread but couldn't have made that one anyway. Sounds like fun. . . .

Off topic, but were you pulling into the HEB off Blanco and 1604 around 7:30-7:45 tonight? If so, I think I saw you.

4. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    ...indeed, that was me...

5. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    Experience your car the way it was meant to be driven - join us for one of the Hill Country's most glorious runs next Sunday, October 12.

We'll meet behind Exxon at 1604 and Bandera 6.55 AM Sunday morning, and will leave promptly at 7.15 AM. Civil dawn departure is essential to keeping clear roads; this is really worth waking early for.

Our spirited drive will cover approximately 260 miles in four to five hours, driven conservatively. Due to low water crossings along the route, a postponement will be announced in the event of heavy rains 24 hours before departure. Feel free to pass along this invitation responsibly.

6. sTyleR

sTyleR Formula 3

Jan 18, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I may come check it out.

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Would you PM me your contact number? I am missing a drive Saturday ( going Sky Diving ) but could make it down for the drive Sunday ...... plus it will give me an excuse to come back through Llano and stop at Coopers for dinner..

Steve

8. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    Church of the Three Sisters is an at-will drive open to all makes and models of sportscars.

Our circuit features many twisted roads and elevation changes with a few nice deserted straights for good measure. Although this is a technically challenging circuit, there's absolutely no pressure for anyone to drive faster than they're comfortable - we'll wait for the entire group at each waypoint before moving onward. It's a gorgeous drive at any speed.

Maps will be distributed before our departure Sunday morning. Hope to see you there!

9. sTyleR

sTyleR Formula 3

Jan 18, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    #9 sTyleR, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was nice to meet you, ...m...

Here are some pictures from the event. 9 cars total participated in this drive.
    Corvette C6 x1
    Ferrari 348TS x1
    Lotus Elise x5
    Lotus Exige x1
    Porsche 924S x1

The drive was very enjoyable! The roads turned out to be wet, but otherwise the route was perfect.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    #11 ...m..., Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    Experience your car the way it was meant to be driven - join us for one of the Hill Country's most glorious runs next Sunday, November 16.

We'll meet behind Exxon at 1604 and Bandera 6.15 AM Sunday morning, and will leave promptly at 6.35 AM. Civil dawn departure is essential to keeping clear roads; this is really worth waking early for.

Our spirited drive will cover approximately 260 miles in four to five hours, driven conservatively. Due to low water crossings along the route, a postponement will be announced in the event of heavy rains 24 hours before departure. Feel free to pass along this invitation responsibly.

11. sTyleR

sTyleR Formula 3

Jan 18, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The Church of Three Sisters is an outstanding drive. This route just screams excellence after every bend. Aside from the climbing hills and continuous twisties, the scenery is breathtaking.

12. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    Church of the Three Sisters is an at-will drive open to all makes and models of sportscars.

Our route features many twisted roads and elevation changes with a few nice deserted straights for good measure. Although this is a technically challenging circuit, there's absolutely no pressure for anyone to drive faster than they're comfortable - we'll wait for the entire group at each waypoint before moving onward. It's a gorgeous drive at any speed.

Maps will be distributed before our departure Sunday morning. Hope to see you there!

13. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    #14 ...m..., Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    Announcement

Drive Time
    0.59 - Waypoint 1
    0.15 - Waypoint 2
    0.20 - Waypoint 3
    0.26 - Waypoint 4
    0.22 - Waypoint 5
    0.17 - Waypoint 6
    1.15 - Finish
    6.03 - Elapsed Time

67.1 Average Speed
    2.09 Idle Time

Attendance
    (1) Ferrari 348TS
    (1) Fiat 124 Sport Spider 2000
    (4) Lotus Elise
    (1) Porsche 924S

Previous drive reports are always available at LotusTalk.

14. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    #15 ...m..., Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    Experience your car the way it was meant to be driven - join us for one of the Hill Country's most glorious runs next Sunday, December 14.

We'll meet behind Exxon at 1604 and Bandera 6.37 AM Sunday morning, and will leave promptly at 6.57 AM. Civil dawn departure is essential to keeping clear roads; this is really worth waking early for.

15. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008

Our route features many twisted roads and elevation changes with a few nice deserted straights for good measure. Although this is a technically challenging circuit, there's absolutely no pressure for anyone to drive faster than they're comfortable - we'll wait for the entire group at each waypoint before moving onward. It's a gorgeous drive at any speed.

16. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    It's time for our first drive of 2009! Join us for one of the Hill Country's most glorious runs next Sunday, January 25.

We'll meet behind Exxon at 1604 and Bandera 6.43 AM Sunday morning, and will leave promptly at 7.03 AM. Civil dawn departure is essential to keeping clear roads; this is really worth waking early for.

Our spirited tour will cover approximately 260 miles in four to five hours, driven conservatively. Due to low water crossings along the route, a postponement will be announced in the event of heavy rains 24 hours before departure. Feel free to pass along this invitation responsibly.

Previous drive reports are always available here.

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Is 337 open all the way now? There was lots of construction and dirt road in VP-Leakey last few times up there. 599 has been dirty before, but the flying rock from the idiot guide truck was not needed.

18. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    ...november and december it was paved all the way through, but there was still a stretch which hadn't received its final topcoat over the coarse tarmac...

19. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008

Maps will be distributed before our departure Sunday morning, 7.03 AM behind Exxon at Bandera and 1604. Hope to see you there!

20. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    Experience your car the way it was meant to be driven - join us for one of the Hill Country's most glorious runs next Sunday, February 15.

Note the new location! By popular request, we're experimenting with alternative staging routes throughout our second six months. We'll meet in front of Exxon at Interstate 10 and Ralph Fair Road 3351 at 6.29 AM Sunday morning, and will leave promptly at 6.49 AM. Civil dawn departure is essential to keeping clear roads; this is really worth waking early for.

Previous drive reports are always available here.

21. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008

Note the new location: we'll meet in front of Exxon at Interstate 10 and Ralph Fair Road 3351. Maps will be distributed before our departure Sunday morning. Hope to see you there!

22. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Beware of DPS officer Sanchez.

He lingers around Leakey.

23. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    ...whereabouts?..we've seen constable walters many times along 337 between medina and vanderpool, and in fact have adjusted our route accordingly, but never any law enforcement passing through the leakey area...

24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Very concerning to me. I never go out there on weekends. Ever. I am usually in hi-2-3 digits on those roads. Does he leave his guns on? Since all of the stupid construction out there, I haven't really run it seriously for the length. 335 is far to bumpy and sharply dipped to cover with any progress in the 599. I lived out there in my other F-cars. One humorless DPS in a Vic popped me off 83 in a Lexus fer crissakes. What are these guys driving, what times/days, and what band radar? I have a V1, but 160+
    ->45 is hard even with CCB. PM me if need be, please. That road is in the middle of a big loop I run. I don't do group drives or weekends, as the damn Hardlys get in the way. The story on the Locust site about the moron in the truck also was worrisome.
    TIA.
    SF