RX7 opinions please :) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

RX7 opinions please :)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mang, Nov 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RXMR7

RXMR7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #51 RXMR7, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. RXMR7

RXMR7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I have about 56,000 miles on the original motor and still is very healthy. Pulls good vacuum and the compression is still good for the and amount of miles. I have had 3 RX-7's in my lifetime and all have been pretty good. It really depends on the maintence and the way that these cars are driven thats going be the determining factor of their overall condition.

3. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There are many rx7 positives not mentioned here. No timing belt or chain to change. No valves to adjust. Has manual steering rack on many models(practice for when I bought my 308). Well balanced. Tons of engine bay space (1st and 2nd gens). My wife and I have both owned 3 each (6 total). I still have the used 87 rx7 I bought in college. Paid $2K in 1998, drove it almost everyday until the last year, now not as much due to kid. Probably less than $200/yr maintaince, including oil. Best car I have ever owned from a cost view. Love my 308QV, but it will never go 200K miles for $200/yr.

4. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Just engines to change :D

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, easier and cheaper than a Ferrari belt change. :D

6. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
  7. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    LS1 swap!.

8. scuba_kristen

scuba_kristen Karting

Aug 4, 2009
    Cayman Is./Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kristen
    As a previous owner of a 1993 model year RX7 Turbo, you must really do your homework before buying these cars. The oil level must be kept in check constantly, and modded cars have problems with the engine seals. Regular oil changes are common to, as these cars pretty much need an oil change every 3000-4000 miles. Most rotary owners keep some oil in the trunk of their car, "just in case." If you can find a good example, I'd go for it. Many of these cars have been beat on, and abused by modders though just putting the largest turbos possible on them. There are companies that provide transplant motors but they aren't cheap, especially the 3 and 4-rotor designs.

To be honest though, it was the favorite car I've owned, and I liked it even more than my 911 turbo. It was light, agile, and powerful. Also was the car that got me into track days, so I am a bit biased for it. To me, there was very little that took away from the joy of owning one of these cars. Nothing on the market like it as well.

9. scuba_kristen

scuba_kristen Karting

Aug 4, 2009
    Cayman Is./Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kristen
    Heresy! No pistons in an RX car, ever!