Rumbling - What could be the reason? | FerrariChat

Rumbling - What could be the reason?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Art400i, Nov 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art400i

Art400i Rookie

Nov 16, 2013
    Dear all,
    my 400i automatic (1980) makes some strange noises. It sounds like rumbling from the rear right side. I don`t know what it comes from. It would be nice if some of you, who might know what it is or had the same issue could let me know.
    More description:
    - Sound location when driving near the right back wheel
    - seems to appear mainly after slightly faster driven right turns
    - feels like engine is not able to transfer power on the wheels
    - is only temporary
    - sounds like "bogbogbogbogbog" (have a soundfile and could send it)
    - had it one time and couldn`t go on driving. Had to roll home with 1mph - but that worked. After letting the car transport to my mechanic the problem was gone (super to explain and look into a wondering face if I had some hallucinations).
    Many thanks in anticipation for some ideas.
    Kind regards,
    Tom

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I would start with changing the rear differential oil and making sure it has the correct friction modifier for limited slip differentials.

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Agreed
    Symptoms coming on after a turn(particularly if after a long stretch of straight road)is indicative of the clutches in the differential chattering.

4. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Do not overlook the bearing inside the torque tube where the splined end meets the diff. If you have never serviced it, it is most definately beginning to seize up, and cause you to lack power to the wheels and is virtually tearing the heart out of your automatic tranny pump, if you have an auto tranny. Jq.

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Are you sure the hand brake isn't stuck half way on?
    Go for a short ride and then compare the rim temperature to the rest.

6. Waltf

Waltf Rookie

Apr 9, 2014
    I have experienced the same noise with my 365GT. It was a rumble accompanied by a shutter at the right rear. It only occurred after make a full stop and accelerating into a right turn but not a left turn. It was not noticeable until the car came up to full temp. As suggested here, I replaced the oil in the differential with limited slip 80-90W gear oil. It appeared that the differential had been over filled with a higher viscosity oil. The sound is almost completely gone, just a subtle occasional shutter when tuning right. Is there anything else I should check?

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    From your post it appears the condition has improved. The clutch packs in this type of limited slip consists of alternating plates of steel and steel plates covered with a friction type material. These packs usually have between 9 to 15 plates and have strong springs pushing them together. It can take a while for the new lube to fully work its way between all of those parts. Some shop manuals recommend finding a parking lot and doing a figure 8 pattern (multiple times) to help to work the new lube in place. You can also add some friction modifier to the lube if the problem continues. The downside of adding too much friction modifier is it will reduce the effectiveness of the limited slip.

8. Waltf

Waltf Rookie

Apr 9, 2014
    Thanks for your advise. Since my posting the noise and shutter has returned, although still not as bad as before. Is the differential on its way out? Is there another component I should check?

9. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I had rumbling in the right rear that turned out to be a bad wheel bearing.

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Also check for a grumbling mother in law in the right rear passenger seat! ;)