Ruben's threads merged: Currently he has left the building. | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ruben's threads merged: Currently he has left the building.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by F1racer, Jul 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    No problem with that. :)
    I'm sitting here waiting for Pete to give us his list. I expect to see GF's name in the "Goodbye F1'' list. Right Pete?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely ;)

My list:
    Should be in F1

MS
    KR
    FA
    JPM ... was once unsure but lately he is impressing me.
    Sato ... I like this guy, but it IS time he stopped breaking/crashing cars.

Undecided if they should or should not:

MW ... yep I was his biggest fan, but now not sure ... infact disappointed.
    NH ... hmmm, he definitely has never had good equipment, but personally I just don't see a racer.
    JB ... I think he might have it, but the rest of his career management is just plain stupid.
    Albers ... I think there might be some talent here.

Should not be in F1:

DC ... had his time so should move on.
    RS ... no, just not aggressive enough, and only there because of MS.
    RB ... had his time so should move on.
    Doornbos
    Both Jordan Drivers ... definitely. Infact Jordan should not be in F1!
    GF
    JT
    Klien
    JV
    FM ... amazing that he is going to get the number 2 at Ferrari!. Jean Todt has lost his marbles and allowing family to over run his brain.

Thus I get 9 drivers ... :) ... maybe being hard on DC as he is looking fast in the RBR, but we all know he cracks under pressure.
    Pete

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    While many of these guys are lack luster let's remember that even the Minardi hits +200mph. All of them are talented, but I don't think we want to see another Indy car league where the cars are identical. If they were, I'm sure we would see more competition. Having said that, I think RB has lost his mind! :) With all the money Ferrari throws at F1 it is only a matter of time before they are competative again. I'd love to see Fisi in a Ferrari only for the fact that we haven't had a true Italian in a Ferrari in a long, long time.

4. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Massa to drive for Ferrari this year in Suzuka. Brazil will be RB's last GP with the red team. Only rumours for now. (Sauber German Forum)

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
  6. azbobbybooshay10

Jun 4, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Bobby Patricca
    The reason I said about 25-30 deserving drivers is this.

If we had 25-30 "quality" cars out there, the crap ones wouldn't look so bad. It would be more of a "competition" for 17th or so, whereas now if you're in 17th, you just ride and don't push it, and hope for attrition in front of you. I'm not talking about 25 cars contending for a WC (although it would be cool), but 25 cars that are halfway competetive. Sure, you'll have your Ferrari's, McLarens', BAR, Williams, Renault, etc. that are the "top" teams. But if you had about 8-10 other "halfway decent" teams that could fight amongst themselves for positions 10-30, I think those drivers that you say are "crap drivers" would shine a little brighter.

Like I said, if you're Albers, running in 15th, are you going race your balls off for 14th, and risk breaking/crashing? Or are you gonna "cruise" and wait for cars in front of you to break/crash and come back to you? The difference between 15th and 20th nowadays isnt much. Do we care about the "battle for 15th place"? Hell no! We're watching those top 3 or 4. So to them, is it worth crashing just to get 14th instead of 15th? Now imagine if "cruising" could land you in 28th place? And you have to RACE to get 13th or 15th? I think a lot of the guys you say are "crap" would prove that yes, they in fact CAN race in F1!

Back to Rubens: If Massa is gonna run Suzuka, why not let Gene get a run or 2 in? Ah, we can only dream......

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point. I'd love to see Luca or Burti drive the car in a race. <sigh>

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    BAR Honda announced this morning that Rubens Barrichello will be joining the team in a multi-year deal from 2006.

Barrichello joins BAR Honda from Scuderia Ferrari where he has been part of the team which has won five Formula One Constructors' World Championships in the last five years.

Since his F1 debut in 1993, Rubens has driven for Stewart Grand Prix, Jordan and Ferrari, and amassed 482 Drivers' Championship points from his participation in 212 grands prix. Rubens has won nine races and has scored 61 podium positions.

Rubens Barrichello
    "I am very excited to confirm that I will be joining BAR Honda in 2006. I wish to thank everyone at Ferrari for six fantastic years. I have won many races with them and I am proud to have helped the team, to date, to win five Constructors' World Championships."

"However my target remains winning the Drivers' title and to achieve that I felt that I needed a renewed motivation. I have been watching BAR Honda's progress for some time and have been struck by the spirit and determination of a team that has all the right ingredients to win races and go on to win World Championships. I can't think of anything more exciting than working with the team and Honda to achieve our shared ambitions together. Obviously I have a job to do at Ferrari until the end of the season, but I am very happy about the fantastic times that I know still lie ahead."

Nick Fry, BAR Honda Chief Executive Officer
    "Signing Rubens represents another exciting milestone in BAR Honda's development and in Rubens' own career. This is a strong and successful team that is determined to achieve its World Championship ambitions and we are confident that these will be realised soon."

"Rubens is not only an excellent driver, but he has the experience of building a race and Championship winning team and these skills are very important as we work to take BAR Honda to the next level. The fact that we have developed so quickly to become an attractive proposition to drivers of Rubens' standing is a fantastic credit to the team. We are delighted that Rubens recognises our enormous potential and wishes to help us realise our dream in the not too distant future. I would also like to thank Ferrari for all of their cooperation in allowing Rubens to join us next year."

Yasuhiro Wada, President, Honda Racing Development
    "BAR Honda are very much looking forward to working with a driver of the experience and talent of Rubens Barrichello. We are sure that the proven track record Rubens brings with him will be of great benefit toward achieving our goal of winning the F1 World Championship."

E.A.
    Source BAR Honda

=====================

Congratulations Rubens. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the memories.

9. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    It's Official from BAR - 2006 will be another underperforming year.

He has the experience of building a championship winning team? Lol. I like RB, don't get me wrong, he was a huge part of the Scuderia's dominance, but let's be serious. At least some great comic strips will come out of this.

10. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Sadly one of two better drivers will wind up loosing their drive because of this. While I've been very (and I mean VERY) disappointed with Sato's performance this year I still feel he's a better driver than RB. Unless Button goes to Williams Sato's out on his ass.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If Button stays he'll show RB his place. As an eternal #2. It'll be a hard awakening for him when he realizes that MS isn't the only guy faster than him.

12. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Pretty safe to say you're in the minority on this one.

13. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    True. But, I know a few of the guys here who feel the same as I do. And from their posts within this forum (racing) I'll take one of thier opinions over the hundreds of others with no real idea or concept of what it takes to be a racing driver any day. Even when they disagree with me on other, or maybe even this, subjects.

Hows this one for an unpopular view. Button should move to Williams now that they've made a deal with Cosworth. :) That team will do great things next year.

14. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    #164 senna21, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm ... I for one (if I was BAR) would keep Sato over RB. RB's performance this year (so far) has been appalling!, but even so:

Sato is raw and fncken fast ... yes he is inconsistent but quite simply he would just blow RB away.

Now we have a young Sato that can be made in to a racing driver over time, versus an OLD RB that has proven he cannot be made in to a racing driver.

RB's days are over. It was nice and he will retire wealthy and be able to tell his grandchildren and he was faster than MS, but due to team orders he let MS win all those races.

They (the grand kids) when they get older will start questioning the team orders ... but by that stage they will probably thing he is a dotty old man ;)

Pete

16. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sato is the hack, 'from way back... :)

The guy is fast, but anyone with balls bigger than their brain can be fast at anything. Dosnt mean that your smart.

RB is attuned to superior tactics in F1 by being with Ferrari, BAR might want to dip into his knowledge at the goings on of a top team. When RB moves ship, he brings alot of unique benefits with him. He may not be as fast as he once was, but hey, if you hade made millions, and was nearing the end of your career, would you risk your live anymore than you should want to? No. Hence why RB won't got 10/10ths.

But then again, who knows what lies beneth when RB is given the number 1 spot at any one team. The "real" Rubens may emerge.. Wether it be good or bad, time will tell.

Ahh. I love the Silly season. :D

17. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    At least Sato is entertaining though, and from the marketing perspective of the business of F1 that can go pretty far. I wouldn't mind him on Ferrari even. Massa was a real wishy-washy choice IMO. He's not fast, and you can tell that he's got that loyal terrier personality going on already. ie, he'll gladly be MS, JT, and Brawn's b*tch. Do we really need another one of those? They need to get a driver with a little passion, one who'll get pissed and whip a helmet across the pit garage, at least then you know the guy's alive.

I don't get Rubens though, he's still fast as all hell in a go-kart, arguably moreso than even MS is anymore. Yet he gets manhandled in an F1 car. And why, coming from karts, he insisted on right foot braking is beyond me. They should've canned him for that alone, it's just confusing.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    YESSSSSSS!!!!!

19. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I vote Scott Goodyear or Danika Patrick to get an empty seat, otherwise you can forget about F1 racing in the U.S. after '06. I've already almost forgot about it. (Snoozing)

20. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I don't know if I agree with you guys about Sato. A guy wrote something on another F1 forum about Sato and my head says yes to that.

"He's testing honda engines, he's happy in this role, he clapped Button's quali performance in Hochenheim, he know's his place, teams will operate like this and in different ways as well, they don't announce it, but you knows it there, I talked with ilmore engineers at silverstone by chance, they said honda are giving sato more revs to look good because he's rubbish, plus test out the edge of the engine limits."

Last year I found he did okay but since australia 2005 he has been going downhill. He is exciting to watch but often makes mistakes.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very interesting. Si non e vero, e bon trovato.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolute ditto!!!

Lets get a MAN back in a F1 seat, instead of these boys. I want to see tantrums, I want to see a driver punch out his engineer when the engine fails ... I want to see a driver tell a reporter to fnck off!! ... but most importantly I want that driver to stick the piece of **** car on pole, and then get out (car still steaming) and glare at the team boss ... silently saying, 'stick that up your @rse, now make it race worthy'.

Motorracing without drama and 150% passionately committed drivers is like sexy without an orgasim.

F1 has not climaxed for many years ... but this year it just might happen. Come on McLaren work fncken hard on Kimi's car!

Pete
    ps: If those comments are true regarding Sato, then I am disappointed ... I thought he had raw speed and I saw a possible light for future excitement in F1 .... it most definitely will not shine by replacing him with RB.

23. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Scott Goodyear??!! I think you mean Scott Speed. Scott Goodyear is so way over the hill by racing standard, he can't even see the hill when he turns around. :)

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    LOL :D :D

Pete

25. azbobbybooshay10

Jun 4, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Bobby Patricca
    But on the bright side, it would get him OUT of the announcing booth! Good God, I can't stand watching IRL races anymore because he's announcing.

This year's Indy 500 was one of the best 500's in recent memory, but having Goodyear and that other doofus in the booth ruined it. I could have done a better job announcing that race from my couch!

C'mon, I want my Paul Page, Bobby Unser, Sam Posey, Gary Gerald, Jerry Punch, Jack Arute back!