Rubbish paint again | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Rubbish paint again

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Traveller, Oct 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Straight black is tough; all imperfections seem to get simplified.

Thinking back, the value of having lots of clear coat on the car was demonstrated to me when my wife's Silverstone F430 picked up a scratch on the roof just above the driver's side A-pillar. You would see it every time you approached the car. At the end of the day it was compounded and buffed away, leaving some clear remaining in the area.

2. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Tim totally understandable that you didn't accept the F12 in the state it was delivered. As M-Individual stated, I've learned a lot in this thread.

I wish you many safe miles with the F12, it looks absolutely staggering in Grigio Silverstone. Happy holidays and a successful 2014!

3. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Why is Topaz banned?

4. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I'm left wondering why there is orange peel in the first place. It seems to be a natural balling up of the clear coat in contact with air.
    Does it only occur in water based systems?
    Why haven't the chemists at PPG found a mix that won't ball up to form orange peel?

It would seem that in this day and age it ought to be within reach of the paint companies to provide a coating that goes on flat.

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    +1

6. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Shocking Before and After pics!! Glad you got your car sorted.

What I have learned when it comes to paint is: It completely depends on your eye and your OCD. I see serious flaws in paints jobs that many people just don't see. If you are like me then it is impossible to ignore once you see them.

I have owned 2 McLaren's. Both had Orange Peel. The 1st one - Volcano Orange was so bad that I couldn't live with it. I had a local Dallas detailer(highly recommended on Fchat) detail it. He burnt through the clear coat on the side view mirrors. Cost me $4300 to get OEM CF mirrors ordered and to replace it.

On my 2nd car(a spider) - I decided to just leave it alone. Sure it isn't perfect but McLaren Orange hides it better than Volcano Orange. A good friend of mine and I detailed it the best we could. We got all the swirls and paint defects out. The only thing we didn't attempt was trying to get rid of the orange peel. The McLaren paint is too thin to risk. I learned that the hard way the first time.

7. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Are you gonna turn it into a garage queen or drive it like you stole it?

8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Definitely the latter. Off to Italy and back via the passes and autobahn spring next year. I try and max every F car I own. Try at least.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why can't you have both a paint job you admire for the $400 grand you paid for the vehicle and also drive it like you stole it?

10. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why not indeed? It just won't be sitting unused in a plastic bag in the garage.

11. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    The Mayor has spoken.

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I would assume it was for using the name of his business for an fchat id name?

I'd call him Mr. Shine for the results he gets!
    CH

13. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    They provided technical/educational information which ought to be OK. Master detailer Todd Cooperider does the same thing but under his own name.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Todd Cooperider paid the Sponsor fee...there's the rub.
    CH

15. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Aha . thanks.

16. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #243 Traveller, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    You cannot tell from that but I would imagine they get rather more attention.

Incidentally I think the reason Topaz were banned was that they are not a sponsor as already mentioned but given their business is in the UK and this is primarily a US based forum, you can understand their reasoning.

19. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes. I imagine so. Evidently a million Stirling or so will get you a flat surface.

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #245 Traveller, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #246 360trev, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Absolutely no!

Sadly it seems this is what happens when you ramp up for 'mass production' without appropriate quality controls in place. If your not happy go back to them and complain!

I do not expect to see that when I buy a Lexus, BMW or Merc, all mass produced and in my experience none with leather (fitting) defects of this kind. That bottom panel obviously did not get its leather pulled tight enough to stop it sagging so when it was bolted together tightly it kinked. It could very easily be corrected without replacing the leather, just needs removing, pulling tight, refixing and refitting. My only concern is whether if it was removed it will cause more issues. Will the dealer break the (often) plastic tags and will it forever more creak? If its done it needs to be done with absolute care. Question now, is it worth it? Only you can answer this, its your call, you've got to live with it...

22. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Had the same issues with the 599.

This is the way it is with Ferraris unfortunately.

23. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    I wouldn't accept that FWIW.

My current and previous Fcars have been well finished (other than the standard paint faults).

24. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    FWIW my FF just arrived in white. A sigh of relief: while there is some orange peel, it is typical of other FCars I have seen, no really bad sections. I also think light colors are more forgiving.

25. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Congratulations. Drive it as much as you can. Wonderful car.