rsx s type vs subu wrx | FerrariChat

rsx s type vs subu wrx

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scycle2020, Jun 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    which would you buy as an everyday sporty car for around 24k new, maybe 17k used in good condition? anyonebody with experience with either car... the subu is 4 wheel drive which helps in bad weather but the rsx is a acura, wiwhich should have less of that tinny subu feel...also, i would get the wrx wagon, which gives it more utlity, as tge rsx is a hatch which also helps practicality

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I went with the Subaru... although I didn't even drive the RSX-S, I just sat in one and it didn't click for me. Leather interior was the only thing that it had over the WRX... everything else was in the WRX's favor IMO. The AWD was a champ for me this past winter and saved me at least 3-4 times while sliding on ice/snow on the freeway.

If you go and test drive both, you'll know right away. The trick with the Subaru is to rev it up past 3k RPM for the turbo, otherwise it won't feel very powerful. Test driving I drove it like a grandpa out of fear of wrecking anything, then the salesguy offered to really push it... so we traded spots and he was gunning it down this winding backroad and I was sold. We even did a 0-60-0 in the dealer lot!

3. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I considered both the WRX and RSX Type-S recently. I bought an 04 WRX sedan about a month ago. I liked Subaru's awd and I thought for the money it was the best car for me. My previous car was an Audi TT which I really liked a lot but I wanted something that was less expensive and faster. The Acura has a MUCH BETTER interior than the WRX but I just had a lot more fun driving the WRX. The WRX Wagon is nearly as fast the sedan and some could argue it looks better than the sedan. I only considered the 04 WRX though due to the restlyed front and rear end of the car and new seats in the interior. I doubt you will find an 04 for less than $21K right now. The WRX is extremely smooth when cruising on the highway and seems very solid. I am extremely happy with my decision to get it.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I dislike the RSX. If you want a honda, get a 2001 Prelude SH. Best handling FWD ever made.

I say prelude. I had one early in college. GREAT cars.

5. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    What about one of these for about the same money

http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=143816&sessionkey={4494C806-D780-4FE5-9AEE-3573136F07C9}

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    No stay away parts prices are comical even by prosche standards.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    WRX. I have one. It's great.
    Acura is slower and doesn't have AWD. I'm in NE USA and need AWD.

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am as well and lasted well with a FWD prelude...and I drive alot (20k on daily driver annually with 5k misc on secondaries)

9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    :) :) :) :D

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Get the ScoobieDoo. I had a new 2004 TSX for 4 months and sold it because it has such squeaks and rattles I simply could not enjoy it. I have a friend who had a 2003 Accord, same thing, she sold it also.

I really love Hondas ( I have multiple scoots, a tiller, 4 wheeler etc.)but I fear the quality (even Japanese TSX) is not what it used to be.

I'd be very cautious of buying any Acura after that, in fact, I would not personally ever buy another Acura because of that experience.

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Another reason to get the prelude..it was one of the few hondas made souly in Japan.

Other cool thing is that NSX calipers are swapable, so you can install them on your car. (I did...damn that car STOPPED) I am going to see if I can dig up the image of it...

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  13. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Id take the WRX over the RSX any day, the RSX is just a Civic with zits. I miss the Prelude.

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    WRX. Overall a more usable package for similar money, plus faster and has better handling.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Production car WRX's gearboxes are the weak link. If you are into modifying them then watch out as you will spit a few gearboxes on to the road.

As much as I hate saying this the Mitsi Evo whatever can take the power better ... and I hate Mitsi crap.

In standard form the WRX apparently has more grunt than the Evo ... but I have read a few times that wind the power up and the Evo doesn't break ... the WRX does.

Pete

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks for the heads up on the honda products... this is a shame, my 96 legend coupe went 260k miles with out any rattles and no problems and my brothers 01 cl type s is tight as drum..however my experience with the subus are that tend to be flimsy and slightly tinny but they have improved on this lately

17. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

18. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    RSX can't keep up with a WRX.